Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Wurm Online Fan-fiction Competition!

10 hours ago, wipeout said:

You are going to read pandy's she put her heart into it.

Most of us put our heart into our submissions. 

On 9/28/2020 at 9:40 AM, Retrograde said:

Okay which ones am I reading on stream? 

Maybe mine? It is short and people seem to like it. 

17 hours ago, Platyna said:

Most of us put our heart into our submissions. 

But how much of your heart did you put into it? :P

On 9/28/2020 at 9:40 AM, Retrograde said:

Okay which ones am I reading on stream? 

You can read mine if you want and if it's not too long :) 

Do we know when the stream will be? Don't want to miss it

I agree that everyone put their hearts into it as Platyna stated.

Some are silly, some are very casual, some more serious, and all are with heart! I think it's very cool to see how creative and talanted Wurmians are, not only in how they create in game but also in their writing! 

I would like to know how the "winners" would be decided upon. And when the stream is as well!

Good luck everyone!

• Like 3

@Retrogradecould you next time include some informations were to finde more from the current lore canon? The Wiki is general not bad but I was sure the was a bigger backstory to the 3 WL and the one BL godees but I can´t finde this things anymore. I know this shuld be fanfiction but I think people need a bit more background for the start. 

• Like 1

Just curious what has become of this? I may have missed something being posted. I know there is a LOT happening with Wurm right now so this probably isnt a priority. Like I said, just curious :)

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Amantnovi said:

Just curious what has become of this? I may have missed something being posted. I know there is a LOT happening with Wurm right now so this probably isnt a priority. Like I said, just curious :)

From the Announcements on Discord

The Wurm Online Community Streams return! We'll be going live at 23:00 UTC from the New Festival Cove Halloween Haunted House Impalong! Special guest star BloodyDrongo will be joining us for the reading of fan-fiction entries! Catch it live at https://wurm.gg/stream

1 hour ago, Madnath said:

From the Announcements on Discord

The Wurm Online Community Streams return! We'll be going live at 23:00 UTC from the New Festival Cove Halloween Haunted House Impalong! Special guest star BloodyDrongo will be joining us for the reading of fan-fiction entries! Catch it live at https://wurm.gg/stream

the concept of time.. but no date is unknown to me, it is something modern?

• Like 2

Not everyone uses Discord. And when is that reading? 

Edited by Platyna

Oh wow, how did I miss this contest! I'll have to be more vigilant in the future for such literary opportunities.

But so many great entries! Some awesome reads. Great work, Wurmians!

• Like 1

I think I missed the update as well, and am curious as to who won the prizes..!

14 hours ago, McGarnicle said:

The event is still on and goes until Nov 5th

Simply submit your fan-fiction to this thread in a spoiler by the end of September and you could win a prize of premium time!

• First prize: 3 months premium time
  • Second prize: 2 months premium time
  • Third prize: 1 month premium time

Entries close 30th September

Yes, Halloween event is up to 5.11, this one closed at 30.09. 

• Like 1

Clearly they were all so good that it was a tied first place for everyone; 3 months of premium for all!

• Like 3

A winner is you! 

Little late, biggest apologies! 

We have the three winners! 

In first place: Vorticella! 

Spoiler
I woke to a gentle whisper in the nearby grass. I sat up wearily and rubbed my eyes. The sun cast a warm glow through the walls of my red cotton tent. My muscles ached. I repaired some minor damage to my bedroll and started packing up. My stomach growled as I picked up my empty pottery bowl and tucked it into my backpack along with a handful of cotton and some healing covers. While I had been fortunate with the weather during my travels, my plan of living on raw foraged mushrooms and berries was not going well. I could find enough to fill my belly, but my strength continued to fade each day. Still, I could not remember having experienced such joy in my life. I had spent each day searching for sprouts and planting trees, and I helped wild animals find mates and replenish their numbers. While my body weakened, my spirit flourished.

The whisper in the grass returned, pulling me from my thoughts. I paused to listen, but heard nothing more. I stepped through the opening of the tent and looked around at the peaceful forest, glistening with dew. Silence.

"Must have been the wind," I mumbled, and started taking down the tent.

I finished up and checked my surroundings, satisfied that my presence had not caused any damage to the land. In the shadows nearby, a weathered floor loom on a crumbling stone slab stood as a reminder that humans had settled here once, sometime long ago. A breeze fluttered softly through the trees, and I noticed a sprouting maple near the space where my tent had been. I picked up my sickle and started to remove the sprout with expert precision, taking great care not to harm the tree or its delicate offspring. With warmth in my heart I set to work planting the sprout nearby, so focused on my task I did not hear the anaconda move in closer behind me.

It struck like lightning with a vicious bite to my lower leg, holding tightly as I leapt forward in shock. The sickle flew from my hands, landing just out of reach. I tried to break the fall but failed, pain sparking in my wrist. I rolled over, weakly thrashing my leg. The anaconda's massive body started curling toward my head, its jaws firmly locked on my leg. I grabbed its head tried to pull, but its teeth were embedded in my flesh and its grip was iron. Blood streamed from the wound. The snake flexed and used its weight to roll me over, wrapping its body around mine. The pressure increased as we rolled again. I still had one arm free, so I punched and slapped the beast in a pathetic show of weakness. It rolled me over once again, wrapping more of itself around me, trapping my free arm and and further tightening the pressure. Something cracked, and my vision became blurred and tinged with red. Smooth scales pressed against my throat. We rolled again, and again. As darkness closed in and my consciousness faded, so did the pain, and in that last moment I realized that my body would nourish the forest. My death would bring life. I relaxed and welcomed my fate.

While I slipped further into the darkness, the forest floor began to rumble and a pulse of warm energy swept through the clearing. The beast suddenly released its grip and slipped away, leaving me broken and bleeding in the grass. I tried to open my eyes, but whether they were open or closed, I could see only a dark, swirling red mist. Somewhere in the distance I heard a fluttering of leaves and grass as the rumbling grew more powerful and a gentle, warm breeze passed over me. My body started to tingle, and the red mist was washed away by swirls of vibrant green and golden light.

I opened my eyes and gasped for air. Precious air! This time there was no red; I could see the blue sky above and forest around me. I was in the same grassy clearing, but all the pain was gone. My body was completely healed. In fact, I felt better than ever. The hunger that had plagued me since I left home had faded, but instead of weakness from fasting, I felt completely replenished, charged and renewed. The warm breeze passed over me again. After a moment, it happened again. I had never experienced the wind having a rhythm like this before. And why was it so warm? A soft creaking sound reminded me of an old ship drifting in a calm sea. I felt a creeping sensation that something was watching me.

I slowly turned my head and gasped as I saw the colossal, gnarled roots of two unimaginably ancient oaks that were certainly not there before. The great walls of bark were covered in tangled vines and seemed to move and pulse in a way that made no rational sense. My wonder turned to terror when I looked up and saw that the two ancient trees were not trees at all, but the legs of a towering giant. I screamed and stumbled backwards into the grass. My heart pounding, I tried to pick myself up and run, but stumbled again. The creature leaned forward and placed its enormous hands around me to create an inescapable prison of bark and moss. I was trapped like an insect. I dropped to the ground and curled into a pitiful ball to await my death, again.

"Be still, little sprout. You are not in danger now." The giant's voice was like rolling thunder before a welcome rain. He blew gently into his palms, and my fear slowly began to fade. I gazed up into the ancient face of the forest, tears of inexplicable joy filling my eyes.

"Who.. what are you?" I whispered.

"I am an Avatar of Fo," said the giant. He stood up slowly, releasing me. I remained where I was, feeling strangely calm.

"Fo," I echoed faintly. I thought I had heard this name before, but could not recall when or where. I waited for an explanation. The creature seemed to understand, and he straightened to his full height as if he was preparing for something.

He began to speak:

"I am Fo. I am the Silence and the Trees.
The sprout is my symbol.
Silent and lonely I lingered in darkness. Look around you. I created this of love and loneliness.
You are all like, but different. You are all dirt. You are all gems. You just come in different shapes and colors.
Do my bidding. Let all things grow into the splendor they may possess. Strive after beauty and harmony with nature. Let your soul become a lustrous gem.
With the same passion by which I once created all this, strike down at those who aim to destroy these creations.
Love me. Let me love you."

The words resonated so deeply in my heart I fell to my knees and bowed before the god I had unknowingly worshipped my whole life. A flock of birds exploded into the air as the giant burst into joyful laughter, a mighty and wonderful sound that shook the forest around us and made the trees dance. He leaned forward to get a closer look at me.

"Do you reject Fo's gift?"

I looked up in surprise and frowned, picking fragments of bark from my hair. "What do you mean?"

He leaned in closer. "You fed yourself to a snake, little one."

"That wasn't on purpose!"

The giant made a deep rumbling sound before returning to his full height and speaking again. "You abandoned the safety of your village to travel alone in wild lands with no armour or weapon for protection. Surely you knew the danger, and indeed, when it came, I could sense that you were dying with satisfaction as though you had fulfilled your life's calling. Explain this to me."

I sighed heavily. "I cannot live among my own kind. They bring death and destruction wherever they go! They expect me to do the same, but I can't! I only wanted to heal the land and spread life. To bring balance."

The avatar was silent for a moment, gazing toward the distant mountains. 

"Tell me, please, how you shall spread life and healing across the land while your flesh decomposes in the belly of a snake." The forest danced again in response to his thunderous laughter.

My cheeks flushed. "I didn't think of that."

The giant laughed some more and then leaned forward again, blocking the midday sun. His ancient face of branches and moss seemed to offer a sympathetic smile. Another wave of soothing energy washed over me as he continued. "You have much to learn, but your devotion to Fo's creations is pleasing. If you wish, you may become a priestess of Fo so that you may live among your own kind, in safety, while you help replenish the land and share your passion for nature's beauty."

"Oh, yes!" My eyes lit up as I imagined the possibilities. The avatar emitted a pleasant rumbling sound of approval and my spirit soared with a new sense of purpose.

"Then so it is. Allow me to grant you this blessing of protection while you find your way. For now, you will have less need for food and drink, and predators will show less interest in you. This is your second chance, little one. Do not waste it."

He surrounded me with his colossal palms once more and from the walls of ancient bark, a brilliant light poured out, forming a swirling orb around me. My spirit hummed with joyful resonance, and the light vanished, leaving a faint glow behind.

"Go now. Find a good home among your people, where you may shine brightly and share the beauty of life with them. Teach them to love my creations as you do."

The forest was flooded with a burst of green light and the avatar dissolved into thousands of trees, vines, mosses, flowers, and all kinds of creatures that scattered far across the land. I stood in the silence that remained, contemplating everything that had just happened, when the distant sound of human voices pulled me back to the present. I picked up my backpack and sickle, eager to begin my journey home. The sun was already lowering in the sky, and I knew I had to find shelter before the avatar's protective spell wore off.

I took a few steps toward my new life and then paused, looking back at the spot where my tent had been. First, I had to plant that sprout.

In second place was Gianna! With an absolutely beautiful and somber haiku for Rotten Hollow

Spoiler

The cobra writhes;

Another deemed unfit.

A somber ride home.

And in third place, was Aeris! With an amazing story about helping new players

Spoiler

For whatever reason the weather was working against them that day with heavy fog and winds that blew in the wrong direction no matter what direction they were sailing in. They had begun their journey in good spirits but had quickly tired of the endless waves and lurking dangers. Who’d ever heard of bears attacking in the water? Surely the gods were laughing about that one. The shore was now visible through the spyglass, and it would do them good to reach land again (or at least that's what she kept telling him, and he didn't know the lands well enough to have any reason to doubt her).

Finally they arrived at the shore, and after anchoring the boat she quickly jumped out into the water and began the climb towards the treeline. After a while she realized that he wasn't following her, and with a confused look she asked him what he was doing: "I don't know how to climb.", he said in response. It wasn't an answer she'd expected, and while becoming increasingly frustrated she walked him through how to breathe properly in order to be able to reach her. In the end he had to hand all her belongings to her in order to be able to reach the goal, since the increasing amount of bruises from all the falls made it that much harder for him to ascend.
"I'm really sorry."
"Don't worry about it – Though I will be throwing away the log you’ve been carrying, I can cut you a new one once we get there."

As they journeyed through the woods she was astounded by how this guy could even still be alive: He was wearing rags of mismatched colours (that he had proudly exclaimed to have dyed on his own), his sword seemed more like a slightly sharpened trowel than an actual weapon and he kept putting worthless items in his pockets while they were walking. At one point he had even asked if they could bring the half-rotten floor loom they stumbled upon in a small clearing (no, they could absolutely not bring that piece of junk). She had to rid them of hostile creatures countless times since even the sight of a wolf was enough to send him howling through the trees.

After a fair bit of walking the trees were thinning out and the grass turned to steppe, which meant they were getting closer. The wind was whistling on the steppe and they could see gigantic scorpions crawling around at the horizon, but more importantly she could see a wild horse. She put a rope around its neck and tried handing it to her travel companion, thinking it would make the trip easier if he could ride away from hostiles. But he just stared at her with a puzzled look on his face, and that’s when it dawned on her: He didn't know how to ride a horse. And of course he didn't know how to ride a horse, because how would he? This was the first horse he'd ever seen, and the first creature they'd encountered thus far that hadn't tried to kill him. She made a silent promise to herself to be more understanding about their difference in experience, and to not be so frustrated with his constant stream of questions. While looking at him happily pocketing a handful of blueberries a sudden memory of how she had at one point tried to befriend a spider washed over her. She had mistakenly thought that enough morsels of meat would appease it, and when that turned out not to be the case she had hid in a small pond until a passerby promptly cut off all its legs. “I’ll bring the horse with us anyway, he’s yours now”, she said while thinking he’d learn to ride it eventually.

They’d left the steppe behind a long time ago, and as they walked through a thick olive grove things started to feel increasingly unfamiliar. The slopes felt off and the road which she had been expecting to find was nowhere to be seen. Could they have taken a wrong turn somewhere? “Hold on, I need to check the map”, she said and while she was consulting her compass and the piece of paper in front of her he started foraging for more treasure to put in his pockets. He didn’t appear to be all that bothered by the wait, but when he spotted a troll in the distance he nervously nudged his companion to get her to pay attention. “Relax, it’s just a troll”. He kept staring in the same direction, and she could feel that he wasn’t convinced so she turned around to deal with it. At first she could, however, not see anything and was wondering what was up with that. After a split second of confusion she realized that she was actually staring at the kneecap of a very large, and extremely angry, champion troll. Her confidence disappeared at the same speed at which she now started running through the woods, blindly in any direction, to get away from the surprise opponent.

After a while of running she turned around to see if the troll had caught up to her, and while she kept backing away as to not slow down she suddenly felt her stomach drop. Then the rest of her dropped as well: A moment of panic followed by a bad fall into a pit. The champion of all that is scary started descending the slope she had flown past, and was towering over her like a badly constructed house. She didn’t want to die like this, lost in the woods where her remains would never be found again, but it didn’t seem like she had a choice in the matter. Just as she’d resigned herself to her fate she heard a voice calling out for the troll’s attention: “Hey! Over here! Yeah I’m talking to you, you ugly beast!”. The troll was obviously irritated by the taunts and started to follow her terrified new friend through the woods, so she took this opportunity to hastily patch up her wounds. Then she mounted the horse and hoped she’d be in time to save her friend from the snot tossing monster he’d willingly subjected himself to in order to save her. It was now time to return the favour, and to be level-headed and focus instead of panicking.

A month had gone by since they had located the valley that was the ultimate goal of their journey, and where they had subsequently founded a settlement to call home. They had wasted no time in making it their own, and the horse had been given a stable with a little field to roam. As she was sitting on her balcony overlooking the stable she smiled as her friend was struggling with the rye fields. After some muttering under his breath he figured out how to go about it and went to get a scythe, and proceeded to harvest the rye in perfect time. “Are you on the lookout for champ trolls?”, he asked looking up at her. He wasn’t about to let her live down that one anytime soon, and she’d often joke that the only reason she hadn’t yet kicked him out was because he was so good at finding lost treasure to contribute towards the upkeep. He performed a weird looking dance seemingly to amuse the horse and then looked up at her again:
“Oh, I’ve been exchanging letters with a couple of others who are new to the lands!”
“Oh yeah? Anything interesting?”
“Well, they don’t have a settlement yet and were wondering if they could stay with us for a while so I said I’d ask.”
“Sure, we can look for another horse and go pick them up in the large cart.”
“I’ll start looking.”
As he excitedly rushed off to look for a horse she almost regretted her words, but only almost. Sure: He’d most definitely tease her about the troll incident in front of the new couple and they’d most likely be as confused as he was a month ago. But in the end none of that really matters, because it all pales in comparison to the end result.

To claim, just DM me on the forums and I'll have your premium codes ready!

I'd like to thank each and every one of the amazing entrants, I absolutely loved reading them all, and I can't wait to exercise your literary muscles again in the future! 

• Like 8

How fun! 😁 Thanks for hosting the competition, and of course for the third place. 😍

Big congratulations to Vorticella and Gianna, those were some very compelling reads!

• Like 4

Many congratulations to all.

Good to see little competitions like this.

Congratulations.

Well, at least I had the most liked content, so no premium time for me but at least I won some hearts...this is the most precious prize. 

Edited by Platyna

Congrats to all who posted and to the winners! Great work.