Sign in to follow this  
Firecat

Weaponsmithing skilgain POLL

[POLL] Do you feel like weaponsmithing is too slow to skill up?  

166 members have voted

1. 1. Do you feel like weaponsmithing is too slow to skill up, and should be changed?

• Yes
    • No

Make it faster! That was one of the first things I did on WU was bring all core crafts in line with comparable skill gain rates.

Nope, it is a hard  grind we know that ,  I know it better than some, did it to 91 on one toon, doing it again on another. I would not change a thing. While i am much slower with it the second time it is still worth every minuscule gain.  I don't think ws on easy mode would be anywhere near as much of an accomplishment.

Edited by Chiqa
typo
  • Like 3

One of the slowest skills, but one of the most important in pvp servers. It's fine.

Weapon effective qls are already curved up that means easy mode is already implemented.

• Like 3

Clicking the same buttons over and over again for tens of thousands of times gives me a sense of pride and accomplishment and even though I have single digit weaponsmithing, as a future God I would take it as a personal affront if the skill gain was buffed.

• Like 5

I must say that though WS is slow, I never really disliked it. I was, admittedly, worried, when my noobie longsword got repaired below ql40, but then realized that with my modest skill of 25 I was able to raise the ql of my self crafted reserve longsword higher than that. And soon I was able to imp beyond 50. Since then, my WS skill rose slowly, but everytime I spent an hour or two on it, I made some progress (>.10 skill) and am now, proudly :) , aiming to get over skill 70. Not impressive, but even now I can maintain any weapon above ql70 which is ok for all practical purposes in PvE.

I was never really frustrated grinding WS, in sharp contrast to pottery, which rises an order of magnitude faster but drives you crazy with nearly impossibility to come even close to "sweet spot" qualities, and makes LMC compulsory not to lose all tediously and frustratingly won progress. Were it for skills like that only, I would certainly have given up Wurm. WS in contrast always gave and gives a feeling of accomplishment. Don't touch it, please.

• Like 2

you see ima weaponsmith, i smith weapons.

I have a magical Skill of 65WS on the steamcluster.

Why does it have to be so slow?

Because someone a long time ago decided for it to be so slow.

It's just outdated and should be overhauled. Make the subskills be used in imping their products and let WS just be a parent skill.

Ws ist just a pain to skill.

I wouldnt even care if people can catch up to me faster. There is no acomplishmend in saying " I push a button for SOO many hours, i am 90 WS ".

1 hour ago, Gevard said:

you see ima weaponsmith, i smith weapons. I have a magical Skill of 65WS on the steamcluster.

Why does it have to be so slow? Because someone a long time ago decided for it to be so slow.

It's just outdated and should be overhauled. Make the subskills be used in imping their products and let WS just be a parent skill. Ws ist just a pain to skill.

I wouldnt even care if people can catch up to me faster. There is no acomplishmend in saying " I push a button for SOO many hours, i am 90 WS ".

First of all: There is no "steamcluster". Well, and 65WS is a good accomplishment, so what about "so slow"? The northern Freedom cluster exists since July 24, it tooks me 2 years to get (at normal pace) to 65 WS and beyond. Well, I did other things too, and with more priority. There are skills going up faster, and others going up slower, and I fail to see that it is bad that WS is not going up like carpentry.

The "push the button" argument is nil. All gaming is about "pushing buttons" in the one or the other way, and grinding skills in particular.

• Like 1

ok man, is my opinion, you dont have to like it.

you seem way more invested in this, emotion wise, than me. and i understand this

Edited by Gevard

Well, someone with the remarkable success of 65WS skill since July 24 is at least under suspicion to be "invested in this, emotion wise" :) , somewhat. And not sharing your opinion does in no way mean you aren't entitled to hold it.

nah man, i just did it for the profit, gambling no one else will do it.

yes, another motivation as irrational as any gaming :) , "for the profit". I shall never understand you market/economy fanatics, but have fun.

yeah the skill is just so bad nobody will pick it up and instead pay silver for it.

now if i need an enchanted weapon this early. i can buy that.

if i need enchanted tools, you'd guess it, i can but that.

being financial fluid and not limited in what i want to buy is like a good experience for me.

simultaneously WS was a ###### experience.

i mean look at channeling and priests. i could never fathom doing that because it limits me in too many ways. yet enchants sell crazy high. i think if there would be no profit nobody would do it.

Well, no need to justify your playstyle towards me. For me any playstyle in a sandbox game is legitimate as long as it does not hurt others. I was and am happy that I could avoid all the economy crap widely, granted that chances to get coins from foraging, hunting, selling to token etc. from kingdom coffers was a great help (which sadly not seem to exist so far on NFI).

I rarely bought anything other than upkeep, and a few priest services. And got along well with. Sure, some skills are harder than others. But I was always fine with WS, relatively soon I may get over 70, and some day, even to 90 and beyond. As said, it is fairly easy to get into sweet spot range in WS which makes the grind more interesting and rewarding.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

every skill has this sweet spot thing right?

i dont understand it tho. also how is it intresting?

this should be more publicly known that if you imp something abouve your skill you get higher gains.

A great guide is

Imping - Use high ql tools and imp one item to the sweet spot (skill x .77 +23), this will give double sized ticks when you are imping above it. If you can get someone with higher skill to give you something imped this high OR can create it high ql by default, it's a huge help. If you're imping it by yourself, you'll get about 60% ticks or so double sized when imping at this point, if you have a friend with much higher skill (or a single imbued tool) keep it slightly higher than this point 100% of ticks will be double sized. Do not let timer length go over 15 seconds when sweet spot imping as this will ruin gains.

There will always be a skill that's harder and slower than the rest, let it be, don't open a can of "make all things easy".

But hey, if you want to go there... meditation, channeling, prayer.. all worse than WS in my book.

And compared to many other skills out there, WS in it's nature is way easier to grind. Just stand there, and imp stuff. Only concern is keeping the forge hot and not scrap the last of your lump.

For example natural substance, coal making, animal husbandry - in a way they are harder than WS.

• Like 5

5 hours ago, Jollibee said:

I find butchering to be worse of a grind that WS

make a knife (not butchering knife), coc/botd it and get low stamina and dice/mince meat. you won't think it's slow anymore

Edited by RainRain
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, RainRain said:

make a knife (not butchering knife), coc/botd it and get low stamina and dice/mince meat. you won't think it's slow anymore

oh snap, ill go that try.

Wouldn't mind making the subskills easier, but not the main skill its self. Making lots of arrow heads can be tedious.