Sign in to follow this  
Chestburster

Allow Blacklighters to harvest from Mycellium-infected trees

Currently when you try to harvest from anything in season that has been "infected" by mycellium if you click the harvest option nothing happens and no error message is given.

Mycellium is sort of like the physical indicator of Horde of the Summoned kingdom influence. It is meant to be an infection that is nothing but beneficial to blacklighters but a plague to other kingdoms. If you are a blacklighter, there should be no downsides and only benefits to having it making you want to spread it everywhere.

However it is impossible to harvest anything in it even for blacklighters which makes it unwanted for a forester like me due to the fact that it renders huge portions of orchards completely unusable.

This also applied to harvesting things like mixed grass and flowers which is less important but still should be doable in my opinion.

Before you say that this is justified due to Libila being anti-nature or something, just remember that fruit trees have a huge role in Alchemy which is very much associated with Libila. I also think that there should never be any reason for a blacklighter to want to get rid of mycellium.

I think it makes sense for Libila to allow her followers to have a blessing which allows them the ability to harvest what they need from infected lands while rendering it a wasteland that needs to be cleansed to whitelighters.

Edited by Chestburster
  • Like 3

You can do alchemy with animal parts.

Also you can heal off mycelium, it gives you food, stops the drain of ccfp and has reduced stam usage. That's a lot of actual PvP benefits and the only downside is you can't gather fruits and flowers?

Stop complaining, just make a tree farm

22 minutes ago, Blackbeard said:

You can do alchemy with animal parts.

Also you can heal off mycelium, it gives you food, stops the drain of ccfp and has reduced stam usage. That's a lot of actual PvP benefits and the only downside is you can't gather fruits and flowers?

Stop complaining, just make a tree farm

I wasn't complaining? I was making a suggestion.. in the suggestion forum....

I am currently making a tree farm, but I have to put it away from kingdom and altar influence due to mycellium's ability to spread. My point is that I shouldn't have to avoid something that is supposed to be a kingdom benefit. Whitelight kingdoms already get superior healing spells and skilling enchantments among other things. They also get access to a larger choice of gods to follow and a kingdom where stealing and murder isn't mechanically welcome. There are plenty of downsides being a blacklighter already gives. The lack of ability to harvest most things in our homeland creating a need to avoid it in certain scenarios isn't needed to counteract the benefits of mycellium.

Edited by Chestburster

34 minutes ago, Chestburster said:

but I have to put it away from kingdom and altar influence due to mycellium's ability to spread. 

mycelium only spreads like grass. so it needs mycelium to spread mycelium.  Isolate your farm from nearby mycelium tiles and it will be fine.

i do not agree with harvestable mycelium either. after all its infected.. so makes sense theres no harvest.

Also, there are other kindom lands, other servers that do not have mycelium. Easy to travel to harvest

Edited by Skatyna

2 hours ago, Skatyna said:

mycelium only spreads like grass. so it needs mycelium to spread mycelium.  Isolate your farm from nearby mycelium tiles and it will be fine.

i do not agree with harvestable mycelium either. after all its infected.. so makes sense theres no harvest.

Also, there are other kindom lands, other servers that do not have mycelium. Easy to travel to harvest

Mycellium doesn't need mycellium to spread. It also forms from altar influence in kingdom lands. If someone builds an altar anywhere close to an orchard which is very likely to happen it is going to spread.

You also can't travel by boat to Defiance or transfer items there.

Speaking strictly from game mechanics, the only real reason for mycellium making things unharvestable would be to enact penalties on Hots players in Forestry. If this is intended, then it makes more sense to make it so this penalty applies anywhere on the map, since it isn't intended for a kingdom's own homeland to be inhospitable for them to create a need to avoid it.

The part about this mechanic that bothers me isn't simply the fact that it's harder for me to do forestry. The problem is that it causes I and many other players in my kingdom to feel the need to stop the spread of mycellium and see it as a bad thing. To me the intended mechanic of mycellium is that other kingdoms should want to stop the spread of mycellium, but Horde of the Summoned players should be looking to spread it everywhere like wildfire. It's supposed to be a rot that washes over the land like a plague that indicates the increasing influence and power of an evil kingdom. It just doesn't fit for Hots players to also feel the need to stop the spread of their own religious and kingdom influence in order to preserve nature.

Edited by Chestburster
  • Like 2

+1

RoD automagically infects all nearby trees in influence, killing their harvests. Mycelium spreads from nearby tiles but can also manifest anywhere withing influence of the kingdom+faith (and if it wasn't bugged rn to be extremely slow, would be a massive pain in the ass to manage)

Makes orchards more or less necessary and even then you'll have to manage it manually whenever myc pops up. Feels weird to have to battle with your own influence to harvest some fruits and such.