Sign in to follow this  
TeeeBOMB

Can not log on game. FIXED pls close

Can not log on. I get 'Update failed! (Error: Error opening connection to path server.)'

vm6NtRL.jpg

Please fix this, thanks,

TeeeBOMB

Edited by TeeeBOMB
fixed
  • Like 1

I'm getting the same error as well (not Indy based). Managed to log on an hour ago, but now won't let me.

• Like 1

Ya this is not a specific server issue. My client is not updating, so I can not log onto any server.

Sounds like a DNS issue (I just tested and got in ok). Most longtime Wurmians have had this issue before over the years. You can try switching to a different DNS server, some free ones are listed here:  https://www.allconnect.com/blog/best-free-dns-servers

A DNS issue happens when a host (cloudnet?) changes the server's ip address (in this instance,  the numerical address for update.wurmonline.com or whatever they use as patch server) from one set of numbers to another.  Most home ISPS pick up on the change very fast and  direct you without an issue. But sometimes your home ISP is very slow to update their lookup server, and it can take in some cases many hours to get in.   In that case, switching to a different DNS server might land you with one that has a better updated system.

There is also sometimes a workaround where you can edit your windows HOST file with notepad to direct connect by the new ips number, but that is NOT RECOMMENDED as some people get confused and can mess up an important system setting (it's not THAT hard but assumes a fairly basic understanding of how to find and edit system files.)  It could mean that 3-6 months later, the number changes again but now you are tied to that one edited change UNLESS you can remember months down the line, exactly what you did and how to fix it.

Changing your DNS server is much less risky.  If the address changes again down the line, the new DNS server should update to change with it.  It should work seamlessly down the road.  It's possible you may have to try more than one.

Check the link above, maybe pick Google's free DNS or any other recommended on the link above,  write down the numbers then follow these steps:

Windows 

1. Example: Changing DNS server settings on Windows 10
  2. Go to the Control Panel.

3. Click Network and Internet > Network and Sharing Center > Change adapter settings.

4. Select the connection for which you want to configure Google Public DNS. For example:

If you are prompted for an administrator password or confirmation, type the password or provide confirmation.

1. To change the settings for an Ethernet connection, right-click the Ethernet interface and select Properties.

2. To change the settings for a wireless connection, right-click the Wi-Fi interface and select Properties.

5. Select the Networking tab. Under This connection uses the following items, select Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) or Internet Protocol Version 6 (TCP/IPv6) and then click Properties.

6. Click Advanced and select the DNS tab.  

7. Click OK.

8. Select Use the following DNS server addresses.  (examples: Google's is 8.8.8.8., Cloudflare is 1.1.1.1. You can try those first if you get confused.)

Otherwise, you WILL eventually be able to connect without doing anything on your end, but it could take minutes/hours/days, there is no telling.

If this is the issue, there is nothing Wurm devs can do about it -- some people's ISP will get in fine, others get in fine in an hour, others may wait a half day or more. 

I only gave Win10, I think Win7 is identical. Linux people are probably tech savvy enough to find out how to do this, I can look up the mac steps if anyone needs them.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Well. Thanks Brash_Endeavros ur recommendations. I guess... in order to get the newly changed/updated IP, I have to know where to look for it, so then I could maybe consider system file edits.

But finally I got connected. I do wish Wurm, when they want to change some feature like their IP, and since everybody but me knows this can take time till I get my local updates the new IP,... why won't they tell us they did this instead of having us running in circles trying to get logged on?

Anyways, it seems my local area got updated (if that's what happened), and I am on Wurm Online again, after (looks at his watch) an hour-ish.

I do hope Crimsonearth, Raix, and Rhydricia, all got back online too.

Peace.

Yeah it sounds like your ISP (home internet service provider) updated. The thing is, the wurm devs probably do not know this in advance either, so they can't give a warning. It's the people who run the server machines. You don't need to know the new IP or change the HOST file, if you can pick out a new DNS server from that link (Google's IPv4 number is 8.8.8.8; Cloudflare's is also easy: 1.1.1.1) But then you have to follow the numbered steps above and plug those in as your new DNS server. From then on, it should always keep you updated promptly.  If you get lost on the steps above try google's instructions here. You might find that easier to follow, since they just presume you are using their server and you don't have to "choose" anything. 

Most people get rerouted automatically.   When in doubt, doing nothing will always eventually work but it will take some ISPs longer than others. For some, 30 minutes, for others, 30 hours. Most of the people now ingame, did nothing at all special and changed no settings.  The only ones who find out the IP address even changed, are the ones with ISPs slow to update. 

Anyway, glad you are back in now!! Hope all the others are right behind you!

Here is a youtube video if those are easier for you to follow (this might be easiest if you are not very confident with  'computer stuff') -- you can skip to the 1:00 mark if you want to skip explanations and get right to the walkthrough: 

Again, doing nothing and being patient is a valid strategy, if you do not mind coming back to try later in the day.

you can also look up past threads on this occurring in Wurm here (yes, it happens periodically)

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Currently it's a mess with lots of other servers/services it looks like

I was able to login "and play".. but every 5-15-20min had a dc for half to 1 min on reconnect screen

no issues with anything else other than the game server(release)

I was using OpenDNS for years but it stopped working, internet connection kept quitting. So I changed to Level3 DNS and it seems to be working great, no more problems, faster than before. Change your DNS server, or go for paid one like, Cloudflare DNS, Google Public DNS, OpenDNS, Comodo Secure DNS, Quad9 DNS.

Edited by BrownLuther007