Sign in to follow this  
Snoo

Wurm to Stream current new servers, active deeds and progress

I would like to suggest that Wurm Online stream the new servers and display the current thriving communities, some of the development that is going on, the different stages of the deeds.

Promote some of the active deeds that are currently helping new players and inviting the new players to join in. 

I think this would be an awesome bit of advertisement, with a currently active player base that is willing to help new players enjoy and learn the aspects of wurm.

• Like 2

Would be fun to have some tours with the mayors of the larger settlements on the NFI servers - even Defiance if you can get someone to agree to that.

I think making it more of a mix of the two clusters would be ideal. Showing off the southern cluster and the history is great but showcasing the progress of the northern cluster would be great as well. Rotating between them, or doing half and half would be a good middle ground.

More so then which server is being streamed things I would like to see, that to me seems to be a huge missed opportunity by the team (especially in the launch weeks where twitch viewership for Wurm spike by over 1000%) would be:

- Dev streams, where there are QA times and special guest devs on the streams, done by Retro but featuring different dev team members.

- Mayor guests on the streams that Retro interviews and showcases their work, villages, projects etc

- More than the sunday stream, I think one way to do so would be to utilize the VEN network to stream on the official channel. So set days set things are officially sponsored streams on the main channel, similar to what they did with the steam stream on launch

- A thread that after each stream highlights things that were discussed, questions asked and answered etc. A place where people can see information that was provided on the stream without having to be there

Of course this would all take effort and really putting some time into the twitch side of things, which I doubt will happen, but twitch has a lot potential for things if the team really put the effort in

As I said on the Stream, I don't have a toon capable of traversing land there. We aren't going to boost an account to ride around on because that creates issues with GM actions and might bother others. I'd rather only use my account which is completely worked on by myself. 

- Dev streams, where there are QA times and special guest devs on the streams, done by Retro but featuring different dev team members.

We do dev streams when there's particular areas of focus or things on test, it's something we enjoy doing and will do more often with things on test too when the time is suitable!

- Mayor guests on the streams that Retro interviews and showcases their work, villages, projects etc

The issue I faced with this is when I was contemplating doing it I had a lot of people claim favouritism or wanting their deed shown. It can be difficult to balance because I would want to show off unique places, not just what people think is the best. It's why roaming can be good because you can stumble across minor little farmsteads or giant castles, just like you would when roaming the land. 

- More than the sunday stream, I think one way to do so would be to utilize the VEN network to stream on the official channel. So set days set things are officially sponsored streams on the main channel, similar to what they did with the steam stream on launch

The VEN network have their own channels to grow! They need to focus on their brand and their work, and I'd much rather see them grow than worry about getting more views on our channel. 

- A thread that after each stream highlights things that were discussed, questions asked and answered etc. A place where people can see information that was provided on the stream without having to be there

Important information is always in Valrei Internationals or patch notes. We don't discuss other things minus some background info. 

All in all, our Twitch presence is not advertising, it's not aimed at people who don't know what Wurm is (although some do pop in). It's aimed at adding value to everyone already playing Wurm, to provide connection and engagement, and yes, showcase what is possible in Wurm. 

I choose the older servers for several reasons in the end.

1) I have an account that doesn't have to worry about travel or being attacked. This makes it easier to focus on land and buildings and not be eaten by a bear

2) I get to talk about player history and what makes Wurm different. Many people think older servers just mean aged out instances like any other MMORPG, but in Wurm, age is a bonus, not a detriment.

3) The older servers showcase what is possible in Wurm. Not just what is being done or little homesteads, but massive sprawling castles and feats of skill that won't be on the northern isles for years. 

Spoiler

4cKROq5.jpg

I understand that you would like more showcasing on the Northern Isles, and I will try to work on that, but the VEN members and other Wurm streamers all do that, there's huge amounts of content covering those, from Michio_Kepler's Limping Troll Inn, to Katspurrs massive castle plans. Wurm is always about what the players make, and the players streams showcase that too! 

Whilst Wurm Official stream might not set out to be advertisement, the fact that Wurm Online staff are streaming is in itself advertisement whether intended or not.

Watching a retrograde stream vs watching a Wurmonline Official stream, I would've thought the company behind Wurm online would see the benefits of streaming highly populated, currently in creation servers vs old ghost towns and the remnants of deeds past.

As far as just a Retro stream, perhaps this is the time to showcase w/e u want as you would not be representing Wurm in this case.

Anyways just my thoughts on the whole advertisement of the game whether intended or by accident. 

1 hour ago, Snoo said:

Whilst Wurm Official stream might not set out to be advertisement, the fact that Wurm Online staff are streaming is in itself advertisement whether intended or not.

Watching a retrograde stream vs watching a Wurmonline Official stream, I would've thought the company behind Wurm online would see the benefits of streaming highly populated, currently in creation servers vs old ghost towns and the remnants of deeds past.

As far as just a Retro stream, perhaps this is the time to showcase w/e u want as you would not be representing Wurm in this case.

Anyways just my thoughts on the whole advertisement of the game whether intended or by accident. 

While I agree that streams of the new servers would be interesting, it wouldn't showcase "what can be done" as the vast majority of players simply aren't there yet. I think the stream would be a whole lot of wandering around looking at 2x2 houses with no roofs or tents surrounded by wooden fencing. That said, given Retro's comments that these streams should not be on a boosted/unnatural account (I agree with this), what would be your idea of how it would be done? Do we chain Retro to a new server until he has a toon that can ride a fairly quick horse and not be eaten by every troll he encounters? Does he make a boosted account that doesn't fit with the natural server progression?

• Like 1

I'm sure with some preparation work like using tools the Wurm Staff can see - such as the deeds, active populations, player count, Wurm Staff could co-ordinate teleporting to said locations with Gms to show off the surrounding areas, what progress looks like and available space for new players.

Could even do like a comparison of a bigger deed currently setting up, an explanation on what streamer sees and what they think is going on, some hints and tips on how to do similar and for the money shot, logging into a finished deed on and old server for a comparison. 

If Wurm staff actually thought about it, did some prep work, there is many creative ways to show current servers, the story, the change in landscapes and try and entice people to be creative.

Or you can simply log into a server with minimal active ppl, show deeds long since disbanded because its easier.

Be creative ffs.

Seems shortly after some of this discussion here and in the stream that the official community streams ended? Was 2 each sunday for a bit, then just 1, and none now? Was there any information about what happened with them?