Sign in to follow this  
Hypatia

Exploration Skillgain

One of my favorite things to do in Wurm is exploring.  I love navigating by map and seeing new places, or visiting old places.  The downside is....  In a way I feel like I am wasting time when I should be working on my deed or at least on my skills.  So I'd like to suggest some sort of experience gain from exploring.  Like points toward body skills -stamina, control, even strength ...something I can be working on while enjoying the views and seeing new places.  I also think this would encourage more people to leave their deeds and visit others.  :)

Something like this:

Riding exploration = body strength/control skillgain  (as a real horse rider I can confirm that it requires strength - legs of steel :) )

Wagon/cart exploration = body control/mind logic skillgain

Walking exploration = body stamina/mind logic skillgain

It could be a very small gain, and only kick in once you are so far from your deed.  It would be nice to be rewarded with something for all the hours I spend wandering... :P

OR  a whole new Exploration skill-line?   Just some ideas of mine.  I welcome any ideas and thoughts on this.

• Like 2

-1million... this would let people afk-autowalk for hours and hit 100 in those body stats

edit: if you want skillgain while you explore... kill mobs or collect sprouts you can get body control using swords and body str using axes

Edited by Evilreaper
  • Like 3

Great idea, but skill only increases when we discover unknown parts of the map for our character.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Evilreaper said:

-1million... this would let people afk-autowalk for hours and hit 100 in those body stats

edit: if you want skillgain while you explore... kill mobs or collect sprouts you can get body control using swords and body str using axes

The idea is unrefined to be sure.  Exploits like this would have to be accounted for.  Perhaps it only ticks if you make it to a new area.  All other MMOs have exploration xp.  Sprouts and rare flowers are not enough (I do, do this), and break the pure exploration, and I'm not a big fighter.  Like to explore with a Fo priest.  Anyway, if I want a certain sprout I go to a field or forest and semi afk pick sprouts until I can't carry any  more.  This is not what I'm thinking about with exploration.  I am open to ideas.  Remember, I have zero power to make this happen, I'm just presenting an idea to be kicked around and see if there is any desire or potential in it. :)

This idea has been suggested every so often, The idea of giving rewards for people exploring is not a bad one. But i feel a skill is the wrong way to approach it.

Why not something more akin to the archaeology chests as it were?

A lot of the time I explore with what I call a "scout" alt who has no expectations for skillgain and will be abandoned eventually.  What I'm looking for is a reason to bring my main other than priest out to explore.  I don't want it to be about fighting mobs every few feet, rather riding to the next hill to see what is there is to see.

10 minutes ago, PotatoOnStick said:

This idea has been suggested every so often, The idea of giving rewards for people exploring is not a bad one. But i feel a skill is the wrong way to approach it.

Why not something more akin to the archaeology chests as it were?

Yeah this would be a cool idea.  Anything to gain that would add more meaning and a feeling of progression to exploration.  Especially on the new servers where there is no deep history yet for regular archaeology to reveal.

Edited by Hypatia
Clarity

On PvP servers, the reward for exploring is treasure chests. These contain items ranging from high QL leather to strange bones. I'm not sure how well a similar thing would work on the PvE servers though, but you do have the rift scout camps.

9 minutes ago, John said:

On PvP servers, the reward for exploring is treasure chests. These contain items ranging from high QL leather to strange bones. I'm not sure how well a similar thing would work on the PvE servers though, but you do have the rift scout camps.

Treasure chests and maybe even treasure maps (like in WU) would be great to see more of in WO PvE.  I can see the appeal of rift scout camps, but they aren't really what I'm thinking of... I don't go out looking for a fight, I go out looking for discovery.  For me, exploration is kind of relaxing  (minus the occasional stress of having to outrun/outsmart an aggressive mob).  Also what about making it something that can be done on the new servers, and even be enjoyed by brand new lowbie players?

As a Wurm Wanderer, I think something along these lines would be great.  After 10 months, I have exactly ONE skill >50, mostly because standing still grinding just drives me to want to go exploring more.  

I think climbing adds a little bit to strength (correct me if I am wrong).   Riding and sailing do not but I think should, if there is a way to do so that doesn't involve simply pressing x and going to read a book.

Anything that reduces stamina should increase one of the Body characteristics, even if a little bit.  Once the stamina bar is empty, the increase could cease.  This would require that riding and sailing would have to drain stamina, which I think has been tweaked.

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 1

Distance moved: 6099,56 km.

Indeed, exploring skill would be fun. 🙂 

• Like 1

What should be a thing isntead is treasure chests like on pvp, rare hard to find mobs or mob camps, rare mob spawns that are somewhat weaker than uniques and drop some minor loot (Revenant did this) 

13 hours ago, atazs said:

What should be a thing isntead is treasure chests like on pvp, rare hard to find mobs or mob camps, rare mob spawns that are somewhat weaker than uniques and drop some minor loot (Revenant did this) 

I think this would miss the point a bit.  Almost all activity on Wurm generates ticks against skills/characteristics.  The notable exception is exploration (not archaeology, not hunting, not scavenging, but exploration) because there is not some in-game action or timer associated with it;  as far as game mechanic is concerned it is just movement.  When we go exploring, we are actively playing but our activity counts for nothing, and it is time that we cannot spend twice.

There have been concerns raised about people being able to simple auto-run and clock up ticks, but I can't see how that would really be exploitable in a real sense.  Straight line afk auto-run is simply not sustainable, disaster or dead-ends are just too likely.  There are already actions that don't increment attributes if the stamina bar is zero, so that is an easy mechanic to stop exploitation.

• Like 2

On 8/31/2020 at 8:32 AM, atazs said:

It seems there are two distinct play styles cropping up here, and so this exploration skill ...whatever it would be, just wouldn't be for players like you.  That said, I think there should be both something for the pure explorers and more for the the wandering fighters.  No reason we can't have both. :)  I do not want something that could be afk auto-run, and I think there are plenty of ways to stop this kind of abuse.  For one the skill ups could be lower than doing other more productive/desirable options so it just wouldn't be worth it because it's slow.  But it would be worth it to explorers who explore a lot and get a little something extra for their efforts.

• Like 1

It could be interesting to award a one-time bonus to characteristics for entering the perimeter of a deed you haven't visited before.

4 hours ago, Ephemeral said:

It could be interesting to award a one-time bonus to characteristics for entering the perimeter of a deed you haven't visited before.

unsure how creeping around deeds and ranking such 'skill' fits wurm

I'd rather see an exploration bar of some kind.  It fills as you travel (as the driver only if in a vehicle) and when full can be traded for a small reward (sleep powder/coins).

It rewards explorers in a tangible way, and also provides a new path to premium (ferry/taxi).

• Like 1

like something that cant be done afk is killing mobs.

How about traveling and getting some temporary bonus which gets used up in killing mobs?

could be anything as reward realy some minutes sleepbonus, some copper, rarely moonmetal. i dont know

7 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

I'd rather see an exploration bar of some kind.  It fills as you travel (as the driver only if in a vehicle) and when full can be traded for a small reward (sleep powder/coins).

It rewards explorers in a tangible way, and also provides a new path to premium (ferry/taxi).

I like this idea.  This is more in line with what I was thinking as when I go out to explore I tend to ignore or run from mobs, if I can reasonably.  Killing stuff slows the flow and peace of exploration for me....   

On 9/4/2020 at 5:53 AM, Gevard said:

like something that cant be done afk is killing mobs.

How about traveling and getting some temporary bonus which gets used up in killing mobs?

could be anything as reward realy some minutes sleepbonus, some copper, rarely moonmetal. i dont know

This to me still seems to be confusing exploration with travelling for other reasons.  Exploring can't be done afk.  Travelling can, but exploring and travelling are not the same thing.  The game mechanic does have that limitation, though, that it currently does not recognize the difference between movement and exploration.  Pretty much every other activity generates some kind of gain to skills/attributes, but exploration does not simply because it is not really tracked and the game just reads it as movement.

3 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:

This to me still seems to be confusing exploration with travelling for other reasons.  Exploring can't be done afk.  Travelling can, but exploring and travelling are not the same thing.  The game mechanic does have that limitation, though, that it currently does not recognize the difference between movement and exploration.  Pretty much every other activity generates some kind of gain to skills/attributes, but exploration does not simply because it is not really tracked and the game just reads it as movement.

That's a really good point.  It could be that there is no really good way to measure if you are exploring rather than just moving.  ...Unless there was something added to the environment in random locations.  Like source fountains but instead exploration trackers.  Something you can find and interact with as a way of confirming "I was here."