Sign in to follow this  
Oblivionnreaver

Make affinities in parent skills affect the subskills

There's quite a lot of useless filler skills in the game like body/mind/soul, and the majority of parent skills like tailoring axes swords shields smithing armor smithing misc items. I could go on for a while, there is a lot of worthless skills that just feel shitty to get an affinity in, you'll see people excited to get a body affinity or whatever in chat and then people tell them its useless and they feel disappointed. I'd suggest one of two things

1. Make Parent skills with no/near no use give a bonus to all subskills, either 5% or 10/subskills, so like a body would give 3.33% to str/stam/control, whereas a knives would give 5% to carving/butchering, but a carpentry affinity wouldn't effect its subskills because carpentry is a full fledged skill

2. Make Parent skills give bonus to subskills regardless of whether or not its a useful skill, this would be easier to code and save the hassle of figuring out which skills are "useful" or not, but it'd make some skills like carpentry where the parent is a useful skill double dip on bonus skillgain.

• Like 9

I like option 1. Would be nice to have parentskill-affinities have a use.

• Like 1

damn this guy is full of good suggestions
+1
affinities are hard to earn, really discourages people when they get a "body" parent affinity etc

Especially the guys buying affinities for marks.

damn.. for some reason i always thought "body" skill implemented how much "HP" you have and body str - how much damage you do. Was it changed at some point or the body parent skill was always sort of useless? 

not like i have affinities in it, but it really makes no sense if you get one in a skill that is utterly  useless and only provides you visual "skill" number..

Sounds good. Even to this day after so many years of wurm I have zero clue what the "Body" skill does.

3 hours ago, elentari said:

Sounds good. Even to this day after so many years of wurm I have zero clue what the "Body" skill does.

nothing

+1 damn good suggestion.  More benefit is no less. Then they will become not just an unnecessary number.

• Like 1