Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Lead me home

Horses are intelligent animals and can find their way home on their own. Transfer this ability to the game, and if we are riding a horse, we should be able to turn on the "lead me home" option (ie to a tent or a deed).

The horse then starts walking towards the house in a straight line without avoiding any obstacles. If it hits one, it will stop. If the player changes the direction of travel, the control returns to his hand as in the case of walking after we press X.

• Like 1

The horse then starts walking towards the house in a straight line without avoiding any obstacles

Could you elaborate on how that's different from auto-walking in a straight line? Unless you mean the horse should travel in straight lines between nodes that form a path back home.
If that's the case I think it'd be neat if they used the highway system since it already uses waystones as nodes and AFAIK can determine the shortest distance to a linked deed.

I can't imagine this ever getting added though. afk features seem kinda frowned upon, and you can bet your bottom dollar a lot of people will complain about being killed while afk travelling home, and nobody wants that noise.

Edited by Antony

3 minutes ago, Antony said:

Could you elaborate on how that's different from auto-walking in a straight line? Unless you mean the horse should travel in straight lines between nodes that form a path back home.
If that's the case I think it'd be neat if they used the highway system since it already uses waystones as nodes and AFAIK can determine the shortest distance to a linked deed.

I can't imagine this ever getting added though. afk features seem kinda frowned upon, and you can bet your bottom dollar a lot of people will complain about being killed while afk travelling home, and nobody wants that noise.

The difference is that you need a horse, the character itself does not have this ability.

Is anyone complaining now that he died after pressing X?

29 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Can still get stuck on a slope and killed by a troll.

But yes, Antony is right. Auto-get-home features are way down on the priority list of features to add.

36 minutes ago, neopherus said:

Can still get stuck on a slope and killed by a troll.

But yes, Antony is right. Auto-get-home features are way down on the priority list of features to add.

It is not auto-get-home since you wouldn't be able to pass first obstacle in auto mode. It is way to get general direction of your home, since we have super small trees that blocks vision in dense forest this is simple solution. But ohhh well...

Not sure how they would do it in game but having raised horses growing up I can concur they always knew thier way back to the barn and when suppertime was ;)

Perhaps instead of a 'lead me home' they could have a 'branded' horse have the  'go home'  function and the rider could follow it if need be. 

Edited by Bachus

I think this could defintly be an idea if branded animals could "find" there way home after like a 24 hours time if you "send them home".

Should have to create like a paddock area "designated return point"

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darnok said:

It is not auto-get-home since you wouldn't be able to pass first obstacle in auto mode. It is way to get general direction of your home, since we have super small trees that blocks vision in dense forest this is simple solution. But ohhh well...

You kind of can, if you brand a horse at home (before you leave), leave it there, then wherever you are on the server, you can look in Manage animals screen, select it and "Get Direction". It will tell you where the horse is in rapport with you, and how far.

9 hours ago, Darnok said:

Colour my hand up.  A few very close calls, as well.  

If this is just a straight line walk, I can't see much value in it.  It wouldn't work well unless you were close enough to home to not need it.  On the other hand, if it included pathfinding then it wouldn't have a chance of getting up; AFK player pathfinding is just not part of the Wurm paradigm.

Suggested before. We could set up horses/carts to auto-follow cats eyes on a pre-designed route by the player. Go to X waypoint, Y waypoint and stop when reaching Z waypoint/destination.

It's pathfinding. Every game has it. Wurm needs it too.

I don't know if it should or should not be in game, but if it was, it would make sense to use the highway system. Like wagoners already do.

Edited by Anarres

18 hours ago, Darnok said:

The difference is that you need a horse, the character itself does not have this ability.

So how is that any different than riding on a horse and autowalking then? 

2 hours ago, atazs said:

So how is that any different than riding on a horse and autowalking then? 

Autowalking is in direction you pick, "go home" horse would pick direction and this would be direction of your deed or tent.

12 hours ago, elentari said:

Suggested before. We could set up horses/carts to auto-follow cats eyes on a pre-designed route by the player. Go to X waypoint, Y waypoint and stop when reaching Z waypoint/destination.

It's pathfinding. Every game has it. Wurm needs it too.

That's actually a different suggestion.  It was probably of more use, as it leveraged the waystone pathfinding system, but therefore of less chance to implement.  The reaction against the notion was pretty strong.  Apparently a magic mailing system and an NPC courier system are both fine for getting stuff from point A to point X, but anything that does similarly for a character is anathema.

Personally, I would like to be able to auto-walk following a way-path.  I would also like marker bouys that do the same for sailing.

Wurm players have always seemed contradictory and dissonant for me.

One one hand many say they want "immersion" and have a "genuine gameplay experience" but at the same time most of us play/grind with music/movies on at the same times. The same players also try to find the optimal way to skill things , from using low ql CoC tools or min/maxing everything.

On the other hand when suggestions are brought in to "ease" the tedium of timeconsuming tasks that require No skill and offer no skill, people shoot it down because it "might force a certain  < casual > playstyle" in wurm. While at the same time the same types of people tend to play on min-maxing playstyle because a) They want an experience that saves time and B ) In a way , Wurm does force you to commit to a min maxing playstyle. (Imagine grinding without coc, SB or affinity foods... * horror *   Or  if you truly want an immersive experience , ride around on a wild horse with no saddle or shoes.

Personally I'm all down for any element of game design that makes the game less tedious. Not like 99% of Wurm's actions aren't tedious, boring or repetitive.

Making travel easier would be something that would definitely allow players to focus on other things.

It would also incentivize people to make more travelling systems of catseyes.

If you really want to balance it out simply require players to "explore" destinations before they could click "return me home" in such a system.

Wurm is the only game on the market I know of that doesn't have any standardized form of auto travel for every player. Some games have portals, teleports, auto-mounts, trams, subways, trains, planes, etc.

Wurm is the only game that forces manual travel.

• Like 2

Yet another suggestion to have the game play for the player.

Please no, if anything, let the player be the horse and then can use his own skills to lead himself home:)

• Cat 2

1 hour ago, Cipacadrinho said:

Yet another suggestion to have the game play for the player.

Sorry if I sound a bit sarcastic on this one Cipa, but what is "gameplay" if not player oriented? If gameplay isn't for the players, who is it for then? The critics or devs? :))

4 hours ago, elentari said:

Sorry if I sound a bit sarcastic on this one Cipa, but what is "gameplay" if not player oriented? If gameplay isn't for the players, who is it for then? The critics or devs? :))

Gameplay is the action of the player playing the game:) By choosing an option that makes the game play itself and making decisions for the player you no longer have that do you?

L.E. But allow me to humor you and say they decide they will add this feature to the game, so let's see how they could go about doing it:

The ideea is to click your horse and choose Take Me Home right? Simple enough.

So now they would have to calculate a route right? So they would have to load the topology of the entire server then start sweeping for the shortest path from the horse's position to the home deed that has a slope the horse can walk on right?

But now Wurm is full terraforming right? So the path they calculate might prove to have changed along the way. So when the horse gets on the path that has a tile it cannot cross anymore because it got the slope modified has to stop and reload the topology again and plot a new route.

Now what happends with player deeds on the way.. slope might be good but the deed owner might have fenced and closed gates so now have to stop load all the deeds on the server... load all the fences on those deeds... check if the gates on them are locked or not for the player riding the horse:)

And that is just the land staff.. how would they check for mines and bridges? They would have to load those too into the calculations... load the mine doors if any check for access

It would be a gigantic project that would take the team years of  hard work that would also put a massive strain on the servers and basically end up killing both the devs and the servers:)

All so that the player can be lazy and choose to plot a course back home instead of learning how to find their way home or know how to already but why not choose the path of least effort right?

The only solution they can realisticaly implement is if they make the horse plot  the course based on the highway system.

But then is not what the OP wants right? They would have to find a highway and plot from there not from the spot they decided they want to go home from.

So now if you already have to be on a highway why not just use the current system .. find a way back to deed and auto run:)

Edited by Cipacadrinho

While I like the idea of incorporating real world mechanics into the game, the homing horse being a good example, with some of the caveats suggested, Wurm for me should be tedious, it's what it was built on and with that comes the sense of real world toil and its associated feeling of achievement. On Melody, I'm already disappointed at how many things have a 100% CoS even on the first attempt, how much of the toil\tedium has been removed.

On the subject of auto travel, hmm, I think you maybe missing the point of Wurm, this isn't an RPG :)

If you want instant whatever, travel, building, I suggest Minecraft 😄

All said in good humour and just my humble opinion.

B xxx

Just use the current catseyes system for wagoneers and adapt it for "auto homing" travel. You don't need to have pathfinding for the entire server. Just established paths coded into catseyes and highways. The server could do a check for any errors in the path chosen to see if it's valid or not. 

Edited by elentari

you can easily find the direction to your home by branding /taming  a random animal and hitching it to your tent or putting it in a pen on your deed then going to animal management window and selecting this creature in the list and clicking "give direction to"

On 8/29/2020 at 6:30 PM, Evilreaper said:

you can easily find the direction to your home by branding /taming  a random animal and hitching it to your tent or putting it in a pen on your deed then going to animal management window and selecting this creature in the list and clicking "give direction to"

Great, so why use this instead of having proper game mechanics?

Edited by Darnok

22 hours ago, Darnok said:

Great, so why use this instead of having proper mechanic?

I'm with you on that one, Darnok.

On 8/29/2020 at 3:21 AM, Barbaresco said:

I think you maybe missing the point of Wurm, this isn't an RPG

It is for any player who says it is.  That's what a sandbox game means, that each player decides what it is to them and how they want to play it.  Frankly, any game that includes a player character is RPG to some extent.  

You want the game to involve tedium.  That is counter-intuitive to me but for you it is a key part of the game.  Hopefully, no-one takes that away from you, which is a good reason for QOL improvements to be options.  Others don't see the tedium the same way, which is why there should be QOL improvements as options.

I think the OP here may simply be asking for a direction pointer to tell a player the as-the-crow-flies bearing to their home.  They have suggested a mechanic that retains some immersion, rather than other suggestions for things like rift-like beacons.

Personally, I would like to have oven/campfire/forge smoke visible from a distance, for a real-world analogue.  When exploring I have found my way back to my bush-camp more than once by finding my campfire, but I already have to be fairly close for that to work.

WO is and has always been an RPG by design.

Home page mentions it's an RPG. Steam page mentions it's an rpg. "Wurm Online is a Free-to-play sandbox MMORPG with a premium subscription. The premium subscription allows you to access such things as..."

All these suggestions that "remove tedium" are meant as options, nothing more.

NO ONE would be forcing you to use a hypothetical auto-travel system via highways. You can always manually travel.

While on the topic, no one is forcing a player to use horse shoes. Maybe he wants a slower horse to take in the sights. No one is forcing anyone to use a sailboat. Maybe some prefer using a rowboat.

These suggestions are merely "options" for gameplay, nothing more, nothing less.

My personal hypothesis is that the only reason I see people shutting them down is that deep deep down, if something gets implemented in Wurm to improve QoL, then the same players will play in their min-max  mode, and use that feature.

Because deep deep down, most Wurmians tend to be logical in their gameplay when it comes to choosing the most efficient approach. They shut down suggestions knowing that if there's an easier way to do an action, they will take it and it will change their habits too much. Habits they've had for years and change is scary.

We can argue about having options in Wurm till the cows go home, but the fact is the average wurmian and veteran will always choose 1 aproach to everything: the optimal one.

People shoot it down knowing they wouldn't go back to manual travel ever again. At least be honest about that instead of throwing words like "immersive" which honestly mean jack in a grindy game that makes your mind wander all the time.

• Like 1