Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

Some more ideas and suggestions (part 2).

Snakes

More snakes, they can be smaller than anacondas and weaker, e.g. only slightly stronger than wolves, but they should be poisonous.
When we are bitten, we have 30 minutes to take the antidote or we will be paralyzed and even after logged out, our character will remain in the game.

An antidote can be prepared from the snake's venomous teeth using appropriate alchemy.

Hell animals

We have hell horse, hell hound, hell scorpion, it's missing hell bear, hell crocodile and hell troll?

The followers of Libila should be able to tame all the hell animals more easily.

Any hell animal, if it bites us, will infect us. Infection causes vision loss, it is gradual and it takes 30 minutes to full reach it's maximum. If we fail to heal within this time, we are blind and we only see a black screen. The infection can only be cured by a priest or by drinking an elixir of a blessed substance (water?) that only priests can prepare.

Unless you are a follower of Libila, then the priest or "unclean eclixir" will give you 5% damage reduction against normal animals for 30 minutes (can be used once every 2-3 hours) and it provides vision, even at night we can see as well as during the day.

Weapons

A plainly sharpened shaft can be used as a throwing spear. Or some javelin that will fall apart after one use.

Stealth

When armed with short weapons (like a short sword, small axe, small maul or sickle) and light armor (cloth, leather or studded leather), the stealth mode should be easier and we should be able to move faster. We should be able to sneak up on some animals and deal 2-3 normal damage with the first hit with 100% chance to hit. When using dual wielding, you should deal 200-300% damage from both weapons.
You cannot sneak with a shield or a two-handed weapon. Damage with longsword, axe or medium maul does not multiply.
The color of the armor should matter, i.e. dark colors make it easier to sneak.

Edited by Darnok
  • Cat 1

I love the idea of adding a bit more craziness to the chaos. My concern is new/newer/low skilled players already trying to manouver through the mobs Wurm has already. Then dealing with poisons, infections, alchemy, and finding priests that can cure them so they can continue playing. Please know that I am not trying to disassemble your very cool ideas. Id just like to know your thoughts on how those with limited skills in the areas you have mentioned will be able to handle it. :)

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Amantnovi said:

I love the idea of adding a bit more craziness to the chaos. My concern is new/newer/low skilled players already trying to manouver through the mobs Wurm has already. Then dealing with poisons, infections, alchemy, and finding priests that can cure them so they can continue playing. Please know that I am not trying to disassemble your very cool ideas. Id just like to know your thoughts on how those with limited skills in the areas you have mentioned will be able to handle it. :)

These are simple poisonous snakes and hell animals shouldn't appear near starter cities. If you are far from these cities, either you are asking for trouble yourself or you are not a new player.

11 minutes ago, Darnok said:

When we are bitten, we have 30 minutes to take the antidote or we will be paralyzed and even after logged out, our character will remain in the game.

An antidote can be prepared from the snake's venomous teeth using appropriate alchemy.

The amount of new players dying from this due to having low Alchemy skill. (Or people that don't have any Alchemy)
The fact that this could be abused on PVP servers with your characters still remaining in the game. (Skill loss & Equipment loss)
The fact that being paralyzed and logged out, but still in game, leading to more mobs finding you. (Skill loss)

14 minutes ago, Darnok said:

If we fail to heal within this time, we are blind and we only see a black screen.

Same as above.

1 minute ago, Darnok said:

If you are far from these cities, either you are asking for trouble yourself or you are not a new player.

If you are trying to find a spot to deed, you normally will need to travel quite far from any of the starter towns, as the land around them are the first to be grabbed.

20 minutes ago, Darnok said:

More snakes, they can be smaller than anacondas

Some people are already complaining that anacondas are hard to see as it is, and I don't think making them smaller would be any better, especially if they can "poison" or "paralyze" you.

Definitely don't have any problems with suggestions, just can be quite difficult if there are going to be adding in new mechanics to the game. Tricky on how to balance them, how to add them in, what would be fair for players, and how it would impact new players.

I also really wouldn't mind seeing more Hell Mobs in general as they are a good mix into things, especially adding in Hell Seals, need to club all the seals across the lands until they are eradicated.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Darnok said:

These are simple poisonous snakes and hell animals shouldn't appear near starter cities. If you are far from these cities, either you are asking for trouble yourself or you are not a new player.

okay but one also needs to remember that when starting as a new player in a game, you have zero knowledge of what is to come. You are not "asking for trouble" you are learning and exploring your surroundings. The things being mentioned on here are for more seasoned Wurm players. And even then, some of them haven't explored some of the skills that would be required. I am at 78 fight skill and there are times some things still kick my butt when Im alone. 🤷‍♀️

Edited by Amantnovi
  • Like 1

45 minutes ago, Amantnovi said:

okay but one also needs to remember that when starting as a new player in a game, you have zero knowledge of what is to come. You are not "asking for trouble" you are learning and exploring your surroundings. The things being mentioned on here are for more seasoned Wurm players. And even then, some of them haven't explored some of the skills that would be required. I am at 78 fight skill and there are times some things still kick my butt when Im alone. 🤷‍♀️

I am new, started few days after Melody was created and now I am killing scorpions... if I can do that others can manage wolf-level snakes.

2 hours ago, Jotz said:

The amount of new players dying from this due to having low Alchemy skill. (Or people that don't have any Alchemy)
The fact that this could be abused on PVP servers with your characters still remaining in the game. (Skill loss & Equipment loss)
The fact that being paralyzed and logged out, but still in game, leading to more mobs finding you. (Skill loss)

Same as above.

That is the point 🙂

PvE doesn't mean it should be too easy and without skill loss from time to time if you are careless.

2 hours ago, Jotz said:

If you are trying to find a spot to deed, you normally will need to travel quite far from any of the starter towns, as the land around them are the first to be grabbed.

So grabbing new land would be harder? And even more advanced characters could lose some skills... well that is the point again.

2 hours ago, Jotz said:

Some people are already complaining that anacondas are hard to see as it is, and I don't think making them smaller would be any better, especially if they can "poison" or "paralyze" you.

I hate anacondas and crocs for that, that is why I want more such creatures, so tracking would become useful... finally? Just increase range of tracking and we all are good.

2 hours ago, Jotz said:

Definitely don't have any problems with suggestions, just can be quite difficult if there are going to be adding in new mechanics to the game. Tricky on how to balance them, how to add them in, what would be fair for players, and how it would impact new players.

I hope people would stop running so freely because this is PvE, they would have to explore new regions more carefully. And in groups since both my ideas gives your friends a chance to save you.

1 hour ago, Darnok said:

I am new, started few days after Melody was created and now I am killing scorpions... if I can do that others can manage wolf-level snakes.

Well, for being new your ego is clearly above your skills. Mind that not everybody is grinding combat, especially on the new cluster, where mobs are more sparse and much is to do for beginners. As to a scorpion, with some knowledge it is not a hard opponent, especially not when mounted. My priestess killed some of them with the beginner sword/shield, and her FS is still only bit over 10, and was lower then. With a ql50 or equivalent weapon a scorp is hit quite often. As long as it does not corner you (on a horse one may always ride away and heal, and they are poor pursuers) it is more a matter of patience.

The anaconda is a pain, dodges perfectly, is hard to see and hard to hit. Though they are no threat for me (anymore) I still hate the relatively long fights. I think this one snake is enough for now.

44 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

The anaconda is a pain, dodges perfectly, is hard to see and hard to hit. Though they are no threat for me (anymore) I still hate the relatively long fights. I think this one snake is enough for now.

There are several ways to solve the detection problem.
One is to increase the tracking range and add the ability to highlight nearby animals for a short time.

Another is a falconer
Falcons could create nests in tall trees in the mountains. To tame one, we would need a leather glove with a hook on which the meat is placed. Once tamed, a falcon is assigned to a leather glove and can be sold with it.

Having a tamed falcon, you release it during the journey and it flies a short distance in front of the character. When an aggressive animal comes within its range, it begins to circle over it and make characteristic sounds.
Some cats should be able to hide from it, and even catch a falcon in the forest.

More ideas...

Spider's web

We have big spiders, but no spider webs. Such spiders should stretch their webs across the trees from the ground to the top of the tree. The spider web could decorate the bodies of dogs, sheep and even people. Sometimes one body would not be a decoration, but a rare find that, after butchering, would produce an interesting item.
Unfortunately, when the butchering action starts, all spiders in the area are activated and go towards the spider web. Alternatively, there could be a female spider near the spider web (bigger and stronger than a regular spider) dragging the cocoon behind her.

Natural caves

I haven't found any naturally created cave so far, which is quite strange. This should happen a lot in the mountains. In winter, bears could spawn in such caves, fat and stronger than normal.

I like the idea of the addition of smaller snakes but you have them way too strong especially the debilitating near permanent effect poison. If you make them cave bug level with thier poison doing continuous damage over 5 minutes unless healing cover is applied then they would be about right.  Remember mobs are rarely alone these days with the low  player population on servers it means reduced hunting to keep them cleared out.

If you add more hell animals it would decrease the Champion spawns but ok.  But a big negative to the infection thing not everyone has a priest in the neighborhood.

The stealth thing has been suggested before and the Devs basically said they would not alter the aggro range ( before actually increasing it ) so this will never be done. 

The javelin has also been suggested and it would be a great idea for beginning players, grinding weaponsmithing, and for pvp so a big positive for that.

Agro range
Agro of aggressive animals should depend on the type of armor of the player. Loud metal armor should be heard from far away. Light leather, studded and cloth armors should allow you to get closer before the animal attacks.