Sign in to follow this  
Ekcin

When will combat window functionality be restored

Along with the implementation of the new UI, the combat window has changed. The new design fits the general theme of the new UI nicely, so there is nothing to criticize about that, other that it is felt a bit "fat" like several other parts of the new UI. But that is matter of taste and not on topic here.

There are some real improvements in the new combat window, the focus bar at the side of the focus section one of the best of them. Also very nice are the sections showing footing and distance, and the possibility to dock the target window, which also has been improved and allows untargeting by a click, and works when changing from surface to cave, now. Having offensive and defensive stances grouped more closely to one another is an improvement as well.

Still there are serious missing functionalities which are impairing the usability of the new combat window. First and most serious of all is the missing of the special attacks. Those may, especially in PvE, not be that extremely useful or urgently needed, but are adding fun and variety to the otherwise very much RNG driven if not often outright boring combat.

Shield bashing in the new UI is always displayed the same, no matter whether there is an opportunity to bash or not. On the old window, the shield symbol disappears, it should at least be greyed out in the new UI. Also, the chances (percentages) to take stances are not shown anymore. Further on, the effect of being stunned, by opponent's action or own fumbling, is not shown anymore. The combat window getting red and opaque in the old window was a great indictator and alarm sign, please bring it back.

More a nice to have would be a small size option as in the old window. It may be that this cannot be done easily with the new window, and it is not pressing.

But the disadvantages mentioned above make it advisable if not necessary to shun the new UI when doing more serious or more extended combat. And that is a shame given the efforts and progress with the new UI. Please consider action soon as the new players, who mostly do not know the WurmLauncher -c possiblilty deserve to experience and learn the full extent of possibilities of Wurm combat (imperfect as it may be).

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 7

Completely agree, the new design looks great, but the absence in particular of special attacks and the red notification of being stunned are seriously problematic. 

The lack of stance change percentages (or the arrows being differently coloured) also makes it completely impossible to tell if you even have a chance  of changing to a particular stance versus a particular enemy. 

This combat window used to be invaluable to new players for them to be able to quickly see if an opponent was far too strong or not (as indicated by the old red coloured arrows, 0 percentages, etc), and that is now gone. 

Big step forward in looks, even bigger step backward in terms of functionality :(

• Like 3

As a new player I had no idea that this functionality even existed. I've been confused as to why certain mobs I can't go into certain stances, and that there were the 5 buttons at the bottom of the combat window that seemed to have no use.

Is there any way to go back to the old UI? These features sound incredibly useful, and I'd rather have functionality over form for a game like this.

14 minutes ago, ThatGuyGW said:

As a new player I had no idea that this functionality even existed. I've been confused as to why certain mobs I can't go into certain stances, and that there were the 5 buttons at the bottom of the combat window that seemed to have no use.

Is there any way to go back to the old UI? These features sound incredibly useful, and I'd rather have functionality over form for a game like this.

yes there is. As a windows (mac?) user, use the "Choose client" icon, then choose "Old UI". Under Linux, you may call WurmLauncher -c from command line, or create a desktop starter with <your path>/wurm-launcher/WurmLauncher -c .

• Like 1

When is the new combat window issues going to be addressed?

I was literally sparring with someone trying to get them to do a blunt special move to remove my food bar. It took me a while to figure out that they couldn't do it in the new UI.

• Like 1

I haven't had a combat window at all the last few times I got in a fight, but I was mounted on my cart. I didn't think that should be a problem, but is it normal for fights in a cart not having the combat window?

29 minutes ago, Nekojin said:

I haven't had a combat window at all the last few times I got in a fight, but I was mounted on my cart. I didn't think that should be a problem, but is it normal for fights in a cart not having the combat window?

Try to switch autofight off. Can be done in quickbar, the crossed swords symbol.

• Like 1

For most players, when you don't get a combat window when you should have one, it's likely that you accidentally had Autofight toggled on.  Check the autofight crossed swords button and make sure it's toggled off.

It seemed rushed with a lot of obvious bugs on live release, then we got a week or so of bugfixes (thanks for that at least), then it was abandoned while they’re busy with other stuff (like messing with priests). I’m surprised this never got addressed with all the bugfixing.

(Also super wide right click windows are awful on objects with long names, way too much mouse travel.)

Is there a way to get special moves with the new UI?

Also, is there a way to get the old client through steam?

Edited by Zao
additional question

6 hours ago, Zao said:

At the moment, no. We all hope for a fix in the near future.

Everybody please correct me when I am wrong, but I mean you should be able just to download the launcher from https://www.wurmonline.com/wurm-online/downloads and start from there even when your account is on steam. If so, you may choose "choose client" icon in Windows or WurmLauncher -c in Linux.

Edited by Ekcin
correction

58 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Everybody please correct me when I am wrong, but I mean you should be able just to download the launcher from https://www.wurmonline.com/wurm-online/downloads and start from there even when your account is on steam. If so, you may choose "choose client" icon in Windows or WurmLauncher -c in Linux.

You can't use the non-steam launcher for characters created through Steam & you can't use the Steam launcher for characters created through the non-steam launcher.

• Like 2

Create a shortcut of the Wurm exe and add -c to the target value to be able to choose between different clients when using the steam version, worked for me.

• Like 2

One of the things that is gone for me, is the % chance to hit monsters showing in the combat window.

Remember that there used to be a % chance to hit a monster that went up and down by many different factors?   It is gone now.   Does that mean that it does not matter anymore?

Like, when I came across a high level monster, if would tell me that I had a lower chance at hitting it for example but now it is gone.....Was helpful in knowing which monsters to fight, more so if you did not look at the wiki much....etc.

10 hours ago, Zao said:

4 hours ago, ThatGuyGW said:

Create a shortcut of the Wurm exe and add -c to the target value to be able to choose between different clients when using the steam version, worked for me.

for the old ui in steam

Go to steam---> right click Wurm online in your game list---->Properties------> Set Launch Options ---->

gf6OwOP.png

Launch. \o/

Edited by Yserin
clarification
  • Like 2

FYI :

Thanks, Samool.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1