Sign in to follow this  
Zera

Server Crossing

So it recently dawned on me, what if there was a Land-Bridge created to reach the edge of a server's border.

Would it then be possible to cross the server's border by Wagon, Foot or Cart?

Since the only reason it is currently "impossible" to do so is the lack of actual land to travel by.

Probably because you can swim over to if i remember right... if you get next to it with full stamina (dropped of the boat) but you can not plot a course so next server is random.

Just now, Sirene said:

Probably because you can swim over to if i remember right... if you get next to it with full stamina (dropped of the boat) but you can not plot a course so next server is random.

It's not random, all server's are linked by a designated border. You can just plot course so that it doesn't matter which border you hit.

I got to thinking about this possibility simply because right now I have no way to transport large items of say Crates, Creatures or otherwise via boat. I do however have a Wagon.
So if land-travel in said manner from say Harmony's Western Border to Cadence's Eastern Border via Land-Bridge were even possible.

Whether or not constructing said land-bridge was in the cards or not is irrelevant. :P I realize it would be a whole butt-load of immeasurable amounts of dirt and bridges.
But the feasible possibility of being able to achieve such a thing. 🤔

You can't bring a wagon or cart across, but you can cross the border, same as you can swim across. Some of the old servers have boat bridges for this purpose.

I think it was on Deliverance, there was a tiny piece of rock sticking up the water at the server border, it was buggy as hell, I'm pretty sure Gumbo spend time turning that into a bigger island though.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, Wulfgar said:

You can't bring a wagon or cart across, but you can cross the border, same as you can swim across. Some of the old servers have boat bridges for this purpose.

I think it was on Deliverance, there was a tiny piece of rock sticking up the water at the server border, it was buggy as hell, I'm pretty sure Gumbo spend time turning that into a bigger island though.

So it's actually been tried to drive a wagon/cart across a border?
With land on either side to actually drive on?
It would make sense if it was prevented because there would be no land to place the wagon/cart onto when it crossed borders sure, but assuming that said driveable space was available on both sides.

It won't work, because game mechanics doesn't support it.

i really doubt anyone actually tried the way you thinking. main reason is noone is willing to spend 2 years dumping dirt in silly amounts 50 tiles long stretch each server at the border dept of 500+ slopes just to try something that probably doesnt even work :D 

Just now, Skatyna said:

i really doubt anyone actually tried the way you thinking. main reason is noone is willing to spend 2 years dumping dirt in silly amounts 50 tiles long stretch each server at the border dept of 500+ slopes just to try something that probably doesnt even work :D 

Could've been tried in a small scale, you did say that the one rock on Deli (or something) was made into a fair sized island, that would be enough to test said theory, wouldn't it?

I wouldn't expect anyone to spend years building said land bridge just to test this sort of thing, but a theory is just that. :P

2 minutes ago, Yaga said:

It won't work, because game mechanics doesn't support it.

But what makes you say that?
Boats go, People go, what's to say a Wagon or a Cart couldn't go too? It is also a vessel just like a Ship.
"Mechanics don't support it" is that simply because there is no actual physical way to do so or something in the code that otherwise says "Wagon/Cart cannot transport this way". Nevermind the creatures pulling it, if I were to say Drag this Wagon or Cart across the border then.
Sorry but I need more than just "game mechanics don't support it" explain to me why you feel that way. :P

Well that might be possible to be implemented "plot course" on a wagon or cart, but is there really such a land bridge that is worth doing it?

1 minute ago, Tor said:

Well that might be possible to be implemented "plot course" on a wagon or cart, but is there really such a land bridge that is worth doing it?

Only a discussion as to whether Wagon or Cart is possible to be dragged/driven across a border as is, right now. :P
No changes made, whether the change would be made, or otherwise.

I had managed to build a way to drive/drag my cart across the server border and onto a piece of land on another server. Do you think that would work?

I think a lot of you are taking this completely out of context here from what my original thought/question. :P

You wouldnt be able to raise land all the way to border. This is not a challenge btw. I think the ground ends 1 tile before the edge.

• Like 1

Well, I have decided you are all no fun and this discussion was a moot point to try to have. 😕

• Like 1

It is also not the first time the idea was brought up.

About 7 years ago someone brought up the idea, and actually attempted to start it on Exodus but was laughed out and not helped as the depth at most server edges is so insane, placing any sufficient amount of dirt out there is infeasible. It has the same probability of occurring as someone else's idea of surface mining an entire mountain on Indy down 😛

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Zera said:

Well, I have decided you are all no fun and this discussion was a moot point to try to have. 😕

well hey i appreciated it, it was an interesting thought

It was only intended as a "Would it be possible" not "Hey lets do it!" xD
You know, as in the Land WAS there to actually do so...

yeah i hear you. it's interesting to think of i wonder what the code is like regarding there? i bet there are physical barriers to it because it maybe treats vehicles similarly? who knows.. if you did plot somewhere though it'd probablyt glitch out and your cart would sink tho lol.. you'd have to build land around the entire border

Would be nice, but yeah, sailing/swimming is a teleport and you can't take animals unless they are stored in a cage.

I remember seeing a couple of horses swimming right at the eastern edge of Deli (from memory) server.  I guessed that someone had tried to lead them off the server and left them behind instead.  

• Like 1

There is an island on Deliverance in the South-South west that's on the border.

Literally walking one step off it will place you on Chaos. Feel free to test it. It's like a 3x3 island , flat.

On 8/23/2020 at 7:28 PM, Shrimpiie said:

It is also not the first time the idea was brought up.

About 7 years ago someone brought up the idea, and actually attempted to start it on Exodus but was laughed out and not helped as the depth at most server edges is so insane, placing any sufficient amount of dirt out there is infeasible. It has the same probability of occurring as someone else's idea of surface mining an entire mountain on Indy down 😛

Let see if this has any non-zero chance to be done...Elysian Mountain is 18600 dirt high (the highest tip), lets assume the average height is half of it - 9300 dirt and it is about two map tiles of area - 250×500 tiles  = 125000 tiles times 9300 dirt (I am not counting the tiles underneath because this is not important) that is 1162500000 dirt to dig (1,1625×10^9). If you play 16 hours a day and just level (let's forget about the rock for a while), you can dig 11520 dirt a day, so you will need ~100911,46 days that is ~276 years of digging, probably like 1000 years of surface mining. 🙂 

Spoiler

This calculation is entirely wrong - you need to multiply 9300 dirt by 4 corners of each tile. 😉

On 8/23/2020 at 5:07 PM, Skatyna said:

You don't have to drop dirt on all tiles, you can build bridges. But you can't bridge from server to server, and you can't jump, so if the last tile is endless abyss, like it was stated above then no dice. 

Edited by Platyna

Could you try to test if it's possible in WU? Maybe make a script to rapidly create and drop vast amounts of dirt. Run it all night and see what happens. 

On 8/23/2020 at 10:13 AM, Wulfgar said:

Yups,  I certainly did do that.  The "Shark Fin" island is still there.  OP is welcome to visit and do all the "walking across" testing they like. Sorry, but the Deli to Xanadu boat bridge fell into disrepair when I had to take nearly a year off of the the game. So don't count on a boat being in the spot you materialize at after crossing.

On 8/23/2020 at 10:18 AM, Zera said:

So it's actually been tried to drive a wagon/cart across a border?
With land on either side to actually drive on?

No, there is no land to spawn on, on the Xanadu side of the crossing. I've not tried to ride a horse or drive a cart/wagon. I've never been much of a tester/exploit finder. Only like to play the game, when I can.

I will say that boats that crossed from Xanadu to Deli, sometimes ended parked atop the Shark Fin and had to be either Pushed down back to water, or GM intervention.  Hmmmm, did I ever turn off the Push function for Everyone in the Kingdom?  lol