Sign in to follow this  
xReesex

New Players listen up

9 hours ago, xReesex said:

Relax guys. I didn't mean for this to turn into a fight. I was trying to encourage new players to try the Southern Cluster.  I was never trying to say one cluster was better than the other. Overall i agree that the North Servers are better for most new players.... BUT

Players that play like i do, with the intent to be creative and not worry about making silver, will have a perfectly fine time on the Southern servers. Not everyone wants to be in a giant group of people. I play solo. I have a moderate deed with TONS of land that i dont have to worry about some random popping up and taking over.

I have active neighbors that are friendly and fun. So if THAT sounds fun to a new player reading this then sure try the Southern servers.. if not.. off to the North with you!

I liked your original post though I did not agree to everything, which I made clear.

It was a friendly and peaceful offer or advertisement of the old servers, and the chances they pose to newcomers: Waste lands, nice coastal and inland places to settle, great opportunities to hunt, friendly players willing to welcome and support fresh blood. Well as to the silver to earn from old players, I personally am bit skeptical, but maybe even that. But also, the kingdom coffers are well filled, and earning coins from hunting, foraging, botanizing, even selling stuff (e.g. corpses :) ) to the deed token gives opportunities at least to cover the upkeep of a small to medium deed without too much effort. 

We could already read about bitter conflicts in the north over highway building, even picking sprouts (!), so it is not unsubstantiated to suppose that at least some of the newcomers would use a one way transfer to the south if offered.

What made me angry, was the "the North is dead" campaigning of old Freedom forum veterans in a bid to derail the thread. Obviously they fear our servers could be attractive at least for some of the new players. Burying the thread in such rants is filthy sabotage as the "discussion", rather campaign about the alleged death of North Freedom is already running, mainly fanned by the same people, in at least three threads in several forums. 

This kind of conduct is the same as if people would intrude the NFI forums with rants that the new servers are crap, or Chaos/Epic forums with rants against PvP. It is something decent people simply would not do.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 1:56 PM, Angelklaine said:

"Rawr! I want to play with moar people but I dont want to move to the place where people are! Come here instead!"

Condescending straw-man.

On 8/23/2020 at 2:28 PM, Angelklaine said:

I rather they played on the active side and actually want to stay for years to come....

There is nothing to offer the new people....

What can the old servers possibly offer the new ones other than your undying friendship?... 

I am not saying they shouldnt go there, but be realistic. Southern Feedom is the new Epic. 

Self-serving assertion, followed by a lie. And "undying friendship" is one of my main reasons for staying in South Freedom actually, so...

And yeah, this obscene bit of rhetoric that we've already talked about.

On 8/23/2020 at 2:31 PM, Angelklaine said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

No antagonism intended here, no sir!

On 8/23/2020 at 5:14 PM, Angelklaine said:

disagree with the sentiment that new players "should try the old servers." I see no benefit for them to do so and actually feel it is bad for them to do so, as it is my opinion that the new servers are better for them.

Actually a straightforward and reasonable statement of an opinion, at least. We'll get back to this though.

1 hour ago, Angelklaine said:

What I am saying is that they have nothing to offer the new servers cannot....

Again, a lie.

19 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Is not an "us" vs "them" argument like Kar has made it out to be.

*looks up*

AHEM.

You are ABSOLUTELY making "us versus them" arguments. You have REPEATEDLY state that you think it is a BAD IDEA for newbies to go to South Freedom, and pretending that you haven't been is a lie. Those of us arguing AGAINST you are the ones arguing that the best server choice for new players is dependent on the new player in question. You. Are. Not.

The above point about how bad and petty this might look to newbies is fair. But I will at least clarify now, I am not arguing about this still because I care about newbies coming to South Freedom.

I am arguing this now because garbage arguments propped up by lazy appeals to free speech really 9%$$ me off.

• Like 1

@new players

Come join the old world; it's where the culture is!  The new servers have an emerging culture, heavily shaped by the old player base, wouldn't you like to join a world and see the culture that shaped them?

Not only is everything much cheaper, but Xanadu is still largely untouched and even now there are huge coastal areas with small player made streams, hidden gardens, and lost treasure rich mines!

Yes the world is rather empty at the moment, but that is where you come in!  Help us fill it up!

@old players

You're on the wrong thread; this is the one you want - https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/178160-old-freedom-isles-is-turning-into-epic-a-veterans-perspective/page/4/#comments

• Like 4

50 minutes ago, Etherdrifter said:

@new players

Come join the old world; it's where the culture is!  The new servers have an emerging culture, heavily shaped by the old player base, wouldn't you like to join a world and see the culture that shaped them?

Not only is everything much cheaper, but Xanadu is still largely untouched and even now there are huge coastal areas with small player made streams, hidden gardens, and lost treasure rich mines!

Yes the world is rather empty at the moment, but that is where you come in!  Help us fill it up!

@old players

You're on the wrong thread; this is the one you want - https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/178160-old-freedom-isles-is-turning-into-epic-a-veterans-perspective/page/4/#comments

lol .. maybe i should've started this thread that way...

Edited by xReesex
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Etherdrifter said:

@new players

wouldn't you like to join a world and see the culture that shaped them?

Nah, no thanks. The exploitation of cheap labor isnt very cultured.

• Like 2

pls new players come to Dead_Server#11! I need slaves to dig dirt for me. Also you get to see cool buildings that are all locked away from you because i would never trust you anyway. Oh and also you will never run into people ever because theres 12 players on in a 8x8km map. But please join!! I'm totally not in denial that everything i worked for is slowly but surely being thrown into a bin because the new administration is moving the game towards a more open and casual approach.

• Like 3

As someone who is what many vets would probably call a "new player", as I've only had about 4 months under my belt rather than years and year, I much prefer the old severs🤷‍♂️

Granted when I joined I had no new servers to pick from, it was spawn on Indy or don't play, but I have stayed in Indy ever since. When I started there was no chance for me to start off on the same foot as everyone else, I had to start months if not years behind others but that did not discourage me from building my own path in Wurm. 

To be honest as someone who's not a very social person I enjoy being able to bugger around and not always see people in local, whilst yes it's nice to meet new people I also like being out alone or bumbling with friends. Granted that doesn't stop me from wishing Indy had 100 people on at times to give the place a bit more life but it's not really a "end of the world" matter to me.

I get that my opinion of the old servers may be a minority amongst newer players but that doesn't mean we don't exist at all. 

One day the "brand new" North will not be brand new and new players joining will once again have to start years behind other players, so perhaps encourage people to explore their options and see what is a better fit for them rather than saying something is "better" simply because it's what you may prefer or think is best for them. 🤷‍♂️

• Like 8

7 hours ago, Haseroths said:

pls new players come to Dead_Server#11! I need slaves to dig dirt for me. Also you get to see cool buildings that are all locked away from you because i would never trust you anyway. Oh and also you will never run into people ever because theres 12 players on in a 8x8km map. But please join!! I'm totally not in denial that everything i worked for is slowly but surely being thrown into a bin because the new administration is moving the game towards a more open and casual approach.

Any new players, you heard here first hand. Haseroths here is going to pay you if you let him dig a dirt for you. Everyone join his server

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Radni said:

So it's talking with your other mouth.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Radni said:

pretty much every single past civilization would beg to differ

• Like 1

Glad most of the toxic people went over to new freedoms :) dont have to deal with them until the eventual merge

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

Peace. It would be good to point out where to go for a new player coming to the south, where settlements on the different servers are recruiting, where good infrastructure like inns with free beds and food are available, and how to contact the locals.

Maybe there should be a directory with those informations, available on Haven's Landing.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Ekcin said:

Peace. It would be good to point out where to go for a new player coming to the south, where settlements on the different servers are recruiting, where good infrastructure like inns with free beds and food are available, and how to contact the locals.

Maybe there should be a directory with those informations, available on Haven's Landing.

Anyone who wishes to do that, throw your info in a post here and ill add it to the op. Or start a new post and link it. I would be happy to help new players. Added my info to OP

Edited by xReesex
  • Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 6:00 PM, Oblivionnreaver said:

Wurm online is a sandbox mmorpg adventure game with over 130 threads where you argue with strangers and shape the terrain with your friends!

Or shape the terrain without friends on the old cluster

• Like 3

We don't necessarily have a ton of active members, and my own presence online in-game is not altogether reliable. But my home deed in Xanadu is specifically a place for newbies to come and learn the game in a supportive environment, where they can get a plot of land to build a house and do their own thing with no price tag attached. We got a couple of new recruits recently, one of whom I was referring to when commenting above on new players who prefer the Old World; they just formed their own deed, but they're just down the road and still a member of our alliance :D

• Like 1

To add to that: My area on Xanadu (G13 Vrock Landing) has no recruiting settlements at the moment. But we have a nice inn (Vrock Landing Inn) with 3 free beds, and free CCFP food in the larder (in case of all beds occupied the Lookout Tower on my deed La Cahute - NE of Vrock Landing, and on the highway map - has some extra beds). There are many good spots to settle, directly in the area, or at the shores of Lake Vrock (F13), or Lake Selkie (H14). For further informations about the area and assistance contact me or Timothymarker.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1