Sign in to follow this  
xReesex

New Players listen up

16 minutes ago, KharnovKrow said:

See, this here demonstrates the problem with your reasoning. You are absolutely right that a new player has little to no business mucking about on Chaos, and there isn't much of a community there to support them right now. But see, I have visited Chaos once in the 2 or so years that I have been playing Wurm, and that one visit had nothing to do with PvP. But the fact that, one day, when I am ready, I can sail over to Chaos from Xanadu, or even help fun a war on Chaos from the safety of Xanadu, is really appealing to me. It's years down the road, but that's what Wurm is all about. Unless they change the rules on Defiance, a player who wants that, SOME DAY, has to come to South Freedom

So your one visit to Chaos for something non pvp related makes you an expert right?

I have lived on Chaos my dude, many times. I have been on many kingdoms and seen what Chaos is like. Can you go there? Sure. Can you join a kingdom with a new account and be productive when most players there have 60 body accounts with 97 channeling and all the craft skills at 90+? No, you cant. You will be as useless as #### on a boar. 

On top of that, Chaos is nearly dead. You get maybe a kill or two every week from the 3 kingdoms left there that keep rehashing the same old grudges they had.

A few years from now if the new cluster is dead, they'll merge it. That's what they said they would do when the whole situation happened. So the time to welcome and retain new players is now. A promise of something years down the line does nothing for the new players.

28 minutes ago, KharnovKrow said:

P.S. 115 other players on Xanadu as I speak, that's 1/20 of the entire online Wurm population of 2048. "South Freedom is the new Epic." *spits*

Care to do a comparison? Here, add up all the players on the old cluster. Now compare that to Harmony alone and tell me how it goes.

18 hours ago, xReesex said:

P.S. Us old players are RICH.. come get that silver.. 1f609.png

P.P.S. You also pay next to nothing compared to what people will pay on the new servers for the same amount of work. A brand new player on the new servers can pay for a monthly subscription with purely ingame efforts in 10-20% of the time as they can on the old servers. If making money is the motivating reason, then you'd have to be insane to go to the southern cluster

TL:DR; Old players are rich because they don't part easily with their money.

Edited by Arronicus

Wurm online is a sandbox mmorpg adventure game with over 130 threads where you argue with strangers and shape the terrain with your friends!

• Like 11

@AngelklaineMy argument has nothing to do with "expertise," because the whole point is that value is subjective and therefore one can acknowledge that both the old and new clusters have merits depending on what it is that you're looking for.

Or you can try and argue that the merits of the side you don't like don't count.

And I'm not arguing that the populations on the old servers aren't low, but they aren't significantly lower than they have been for years.

And again, as several people have pointed out, you are too often making sweeping reductive generalizations about what "new players" want. Just a few years ago, *I* was a new player, and I didn't need a fresh new server to make Wurm Online one of the coolest games I have ever seen in my opinion.

I'm not the one trying to make this into an all-or-nothing competition, as my very first comment pointed out. You're the one coming in here picking fights with people who are just stating their opinions. Every post I make, I say "go have fun on the new servers if you want, but..." while every post you make is "boo old servers!"

If someone is coming to Wurm Online because they want to make money and be the "best," the new servers offer a "level playing field."

But if someone is coming to Wurm Online to build their fantasy home, and doesn't mind accepting support from other players, the old servers are objectively better, because the faster grind and easier resource gathering is objectively better for someone who just wants to build their castle faster. Or people like me who think the concept of the Archaeology skill is super neat, since an old world full of ruins is waaay better for that.

Have fun on the new servers, but stop picking fights with those of us who are respectfully advertising the old ones.

• Like 6

It really is a matter of preference.  New and old each have their pros and cons.  If players are after a seller's market they should go north, but going south won't mean menial labour for in-game silver - I still haven't sold a single brick :).  I actually found Melody more crowded with low-permission deeds (as in there is a little a non-citizen can do on them) than I found Indy, and I disliked it on Indy.  Many who have "left" the south have also stayed - that's the beauty of how the game works.  How about everybody stop taking shots at each other and work on making it a good experience for all the new players, however and wherever they choose to play.

• Like 3

The strange thing with those rants about the "dead old servers" is that this comes from players who desperately try to eulogize their own move to the new cluster, as if they are having a bad conscience about they are trying to acquiesce by doomsaying. I somehow have the suspicion that some of them were feeling underdogs and users here in our realms, and went to the new cluster to "rule" over Wurm newcomers with their superior knowledge how to skill up. But if they like to dominate, and that is their playstyle, I wish them all the best, and to get happy with, hopefully not frustrating newcomers too much.

They should enjoy themselves instead of spitting venom on their former home. And this doomsaying and venom lets me suspect that they are less happy than they are pretending. They should work on themselves instead of badmouthing the old servers, their population, and their potential. Wurm certainly has place for all. 

For many of the new players life on the new cluster may be arguably harder than what I and others experienced, in my case starting about 30 months ago, on the old servers. I never had troubles to find a place to settle, a large and exciting area to mine out, great ship building, all on my own, and good friends and allies in my area. In addition I were and am in love with the long history of our server, the stories of the pioneers creating the first roads, highways, canals, and tunnels, dying a lot in our harsh lands.

As others pointed out already, the game is not economy alone, even less since, fortunately, RMT is gone. A new player here on the old servers may easily get all coins needed for upkeep of a modest deed (meaning up to 2s/mth) only by foraging, botanizing, and selling surplus stuff to the deed token. There are still 2 or 3 impalongs on Xanadu and Independence coming this year promising improved armour, weapons, and tools especially for new players. And there are a couple of settlements willing and ready to take new villagers, and to support newcomers. And some of those did already arrive, in our area and elsewhere.

I do not expect new players to arrive here in droves, but there is no indication that the southern cluster is in decline. I had expected a temporary shrinking comparable to that after the opening of Jackal last year. This did not happen. But instead of rejoicing that the old servers are holding a stable, even slightly rising population, this seems to make some of the "emigrants" deeply unhappy.

• Like 3

12 hours ago, Skatyna said:

making a fool of myself? lol its you all fools who expect new players to come to old servers..

Yes you are. I already met new players who came here.

The interesting question is why you and other "emigrees" intrude and try to hijack and derail threads advertising the southern cluster. I would feel a fool like you if I would intrude NFI recruitment threads attempting to derail them. In fact I couldn't even imagine ever to do something like that.

How unhappy are you?

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

The strange thing with those rants about the "dead old servers" is that this comes from players who desperately try to eulogize their own move to the new cluster, as if they are having a bad conscience about they are trying to acquiesce by doomsaying.

I'm not really sure where you're pulling this from, but I'll break it down for you. The main reason you see so much pushback is because all of these well-established players want the benefit of having new blood flowing in, but when it comes time for suggestions on how to get them there it always revolves around trying to funnel them into the old servers instead of trying to understand why the new servers are more attractive to them.

Are you a new player and want an active server? Go to a new server as they currently make up the majority of the current population.

Are you a new player and want your skills and crafts to be practical and relevant ? Go to a new server where the majority of players are still low level.

Are you a new player and want to make silver to pay for premium? Go to a new server where the demand is so high that you can easily make 5x as much for the same actions on the older servers.

Established veterans do not want to see their server forgotten, but the core issue is that the majority of new players coming in are not going to be interested in a server where they're not useful. And no, don't say "well they can surface mine or dig dirt for me on my server with 23 people on it" because that is simply consuming them as a resource to further your own interests without taking their enjoyment into consideration. If veterans want new players interested in the older servers, there needs to be a tangible benefit that outweighs the three points above. That's it.

• Like 1

Old servers should get the Golden Valley treatment, or a museum treatment and all further dev energy should be spent on the new servers. A fresh start after close to a decade is not a bad thing, other sandboxes do this much more frequently (Haven and hearth to name one). 

Refresh the economy for another decade and call it good. Unfortunatly that will never happen. The best we will get is to never link the north and south, which I hope they never do.

The fastest thing to make me personally quit a niche MMO on steam is to log in the first time to see a server of sub 40 players. 

Edited by Radni

1 hour ago, KharnovKrow said:

I'm not the one trying to make this into an all-or-nothing competition, as my very first comment pointed out. You're the one coming in here picking fights with people who are just stating their opinions. Every post I make, I say "go have fun on the new servers if you want, but..." while every post you make is "boo old servers!"

I wasnt aware I was not allowed to "come here". If only people who agree with you/op are allowed to post their opinions, then I guess this was posted in the wrong place. Topics posted in these threads are to be discussed. I disagree with the sentiment that new players "should try the old servers." I see no benefit for them to do so and actually feel it is bad for them to do so, as it is my opinion that the new servers are better for them.

But in the end its my opinion and I have as much of a right to offer it as you have to offer yours. My opinion does not invalidate yours and it is not my intention to make yours any less. I am debating because I love a good debate as I often learn from it.

Edited by Angelklaine
  • Like 1

2025:

New cluster  Eastern servers.

2030:

New cluster Western servers.

2035:

Fail! not more regions to add

Wurm Online collapsed lol 

So... always will be players with advantages over other, a virgin land or pristine land will be ALWAYS a temporal thing in the game, the Economy also will be similar to the older clusters , its a time thing.  Veterans will be the "kings" in the olders and new clusters, they have knowledge about the game , experience, and will be more faster reaching the monopoly sooner or later OVER ALL.

I think will better link the current servers they are plenty of room for all, and the economy will be always the same , same persons ruling with different characters , maybe a new boy for the club but not more.

Not more servers please, link all , the economy can´t be different no really , only for "a while" the veterans players will dominate all clusters soon or later and the land can´t be untouched forever so why have 1.000 servers? either not is fair deleting the old ones as  possibility, some players in the old clusters are helped this game paying along years .

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

Still interesting how desperately a relatively small but vocal faction of forum posters is trying to derail a thread advertising the old servers. I don't see a single "new face" in this thread, prolly those folks are busy and happy, no matter whether on the new or the old cluster, and/or know to behave. @Angelklaine: Strange that you do not realize how rudely you are acting.

@contestani: There is no plan to add ever more servers, but it was sensible to offer new servers for newcomers from the steam community, and the demand for those has been proven. Certainly the economy in the NFI will adapt fast and resemble the southern one widely in a year or two, maybe even faster, and the clusters will be almost certainly merged in the end. But by entering the steam community Wurm has tapped a large customer potential, and highly enhanced visibility. It is not about creating ever more servers, but these ones were a must, and a success.

Edited by Ekcin

10 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Still interesting how desperately a relatively small but vocal faction of forum posters is trying to derail a thread advertising the old servers. I don't see a single "new face" in this thread, prolly those folks are busy and happy, no matter whether on the new or the old cluster, and/or know to behave. @Angelklaine: Strange that you do not realize how rudely you are acting.

@contestani: There is no plan to add ever more servers, but it was sensible to offer new servers for newcomers from the steam community, and the demand for those has been proven. Certainly the economy in the NFI will adapt fast and resemble the southern one widely in a year or two, maybe even faster, and the clusters will be almost certainly merged in the end. But by entering the steam community Wurm has tapped a large customer potential, and highly enhanced visibility. It is not about creating ever more servers, but these ones were a must, and a success.

Yes is a good thing  open new servers, but with measure, and having yet room at the old servers is for me wasting resources, because a server not is cheap, maybe they are virtualizing servers and not is a server by machine ,but anyway have costs.

For me the most important factor in this that  appeared in Steam the new servers helped yes but not so much as Steam. 

I understand that there are players whom wants playing in new servers, but I the old ones have nice stuff for new players, like roads to travel more faster, for trade and guard towers for security, and nice places free to plant a deed  that is my opinion.

Edited by contestani
  • Like 2

17 hours ago, Ekcin said:

I have not once criticized a person here or offended anyone. I am pushing forward my opinion. Now if debating a point of view or having a different opinion from yours is rude, then I suppose you're right and I am a rude person. Luckily I dont need your agreement or your acceptance of my position to be happy, so I will continue to happily be a rude person to you.

Now lets get off the character assaults and continue to debate the point, shall we?

• Cat 1

It is not about personal attacks (I do not care much for. Either they violate chat rules, in which case it is chat mods' turn to decide and act, not my business. Or they are just teasing, and I can laugh about, live with. or feel it is even less my business). 

It is about derailing this thread, which is impolite. Would I have started it (and, as initially pointed out, I would have worded differently), I would demand that chat mods remove all the off topic crap with which you and others defecated and derailed the thread, in an obvious bid to discourage new players to join the southern cluster. That is nothing less than a discussion. You and others are campaigning in at least three other threads that the southern Freedom cluster were "dead", "dying", "turning into Epic", and so on.

If you do it in those threads created to campaign in this way, it is your madness, and, inside the chat rules and the goodwill of the company, your right or at least inside your privilege. As said, to me you guys feel utterly unhappy, frustrated, and neurotic. Otherwise you would just enjoy the new worlds and leave us alone. You are unable to do so even in this thread. Strange.

Edited by Ekcin
grammar

17 hours ago, contestani said:

I understand that there are players whom wants playing in new servers, but I the old ones have nice stuff for new players, like roads to travel more faster, for trade and guard towers for security, and nice places free to plant a deed  that is my opinion.

Infrastructure is one thing, but the skill gap is going to put a lot of new players off. I'm not really sure of a good solution for it because there isn't one that's going to make both sides happy, but one is essential if the established servers want to remain a viable attraction to incoming players. Epic didn't really work for longevity so while I feel it's a step in the right direction, it isn't the end solution.

6 hours ago, Ekcin said:

I would demand that chat mods remove all the off topic crap with which you and others defecated and derailed the thread, in an obvious bid to discourage new players to join the southern cluster.

I feel as if your posts are getting a bit out of hand, instead of discussing the topic you keep circling on these odd tangents about everyone being supposedly unhappy. If you're set on doing that then it isn't my place to correct you, however it's really starting to derail the original point many people are making. 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Sovos said:

I feel as if your posts are getting a bit out of hand, instead of discussing the topic you keep circling on these odd tangents about everyone being supposedly unhappy. If you're set on doing that then it isn't my place to correct you, however it's really starting to derail the original point many people are making.

You mean that I am derailing the derailing. That may well be the case, and is intended.

This thread was about asking new players to come to the old servers, not badmouthing them and alleging they were a bad place for new players, and going to die anyway, If you want to warn new players off from the old servers, there are about three doomsaying threads here and in suggestions where you can do that. It is simply off topic and impolite to force this discussion onto a thread advertising the Southern Freedom cluster to players from the steam community and others who have become aware of Wurm.

This does not mean that only eulogizing is wanted and needed. Instead, it is right to inform about the huge advantages playing in the southern cluster offers to new players, but also the risks, drawbacks, and caveats.

While you may see that differently, I fail to see that the skill gap is more a problem for new players than the experience gap between newcomers and old Wurmians on the new servers. The latter may even be more discourageing for people having started at even skill level 1, and seeing others at 50, 70, or even above while they are struggling to get a few skills over 30 in the same time.

Relative emptiness of the old servers may of course be a problem as well. Crowdedness, lack of appropriate spots to settle, and troubles to find resource spots and hunting grounds may be a problem on the new servers. 

And of course it may be pleasant to play in larger communities, especially with friends who started at the same time. But it can also be nice to start in one of the nicely built and well equipped recruiting settlements on the southern servers. That is why I advocated a list of settlements per server which are actually recruiting, with links to their recruiting threads. That would help newcomers to find a spot, and would help to advise those asking for a home (e.g. I do not recruit at all and will never do, but of course want to help new players where I can).

That said, both clusters offer opportunities and fun. Trying to campaign otherwise is outright indecent.

7 hours ago, Sovos said:

Infrastructure is one thing, but the skill gap is going to put a lot of new players off. I'm not really sure of a good solution for it because there isn't one that's going to make both sides happy, but one is essential if the established servers want to remain a viable attraction to incoming players. Epic didn't really work for longevity so while I feel it's a step in the right direction, it isn't the end solution.

Yes I understand the problem with the skill gap but soon or later in the new cluster also could have that problem and then what? make another cluster to fix it? or try to looking other ways to resolve the problem ?. I think that a new cluster to avoid the skill gap is a temporaly thing not the right solution.

• Like 1

On 8/23/2020 at 5:14 PM, Angelklaine said:

I wasnt aware I was not allowed to "come here". If only people who agree with you/op are allowed to post their opinions, then I guess this was posted in the wrong place. Topics posted in these threads are to be discussed. I disagree with the sentiment that new players "should try the old servers." I see no benefit for them to do so and actually feel it is bad for them to do so, as it is my opinion that the new servers are better for them.

But in the end its my opinion and I have as much of a right to offer it as you have to offer yours. My opinion does not invalidate yours and it is not my intention to make yours any less. I am debating because I love a good debate as I often learn from it.

Hey, I'm back!

You are of course welcome to come in here and discuss things. But that's not what you're doing. As I said, whereas I have acknowledged points that you have made in favour of the new servers, you have responded to every discussion of the merits of the old servers with "nuh uh, cuz my opinion!" You are absolutely free to have an opinion, but an opinion is not evidence. And constantly asserting an opinion in the face of evidence is not a good faith discussion.

To be clear, the comparison between South Freedom and Epic is bad faith because Epic was down to a dozen or so people online at any given time when I joined several years ago. It's not about how the South Freedom population compares to the North, it is the fact that 100+ active people does not equal ~10 active people. It's a grotesque distortion.

To be clear, evidence is on the side of those of us willing to discuss the merits and flaws of BOTH CLUSTERS because those of us on the old servers have encountered new players who complain about conditions on the new servers, or at the very least express a strong preference for the old servers. It is factually inaccurate to try and pretend that these people don't exist in sufficient enough numbers that their opinions and feelings shouldn't simply be ignored because you have "an opinion."

If you would actually like to argue these points with facts and reason, that would be a discussion. If you are simply going to insist that any perspective or interpretation you disagree with is false, then you are not interested in a discussion or a debate. You are ranting, and it is rude to drown out *actual discussion* with ranting.

Edited by KharnovKrow

50 minutes ago, KharnovKrow said:

Hey, I'm back!

You are of course welcome to come in here and discuss things. But that's not what you're doing. As I said, whereas I have acknowledged points that you have made in favour of the new servers, you have responded to every discussion of the merits of the old servers with "nuh uh, cuz my opinion!" You are absolutely free to have an opinion, but an opinion is not evidence. And constantly asserting an opinion in the face of evidence is not a good faith discussion.

To be clear, the comparison between South Freedom and Epic is bad faith because Epic was down to a dozen or so people online at any given time when I joined several years ago. It's not about how the South Freedom population compares to the North, it is the fact that 100+ active people does not equal ~10 active people. It's a grotesque distortion.

To be clear, evidence is on the side of those of us willing to discuss the merits and flaws of BOTH CLUSTERS because those of us on the old servers have encountered new players who complain about conditions on the new servers, or at the very least express a strong preference for the old servers. It is factually inaccurate to try and pretend that these people don't exist in sufficient enough numbers that their opinions and feelings shouldn't simply be ignored because you have "an opinion."

If you would actually like to argue these points with facts and reason, that would be a discussion. If you are simply going to insist that any perspective or interpretation you disagree with is false, then you are not interested in a discussion or a debate. You are ranting, and it is rude to drown out *actual discussion* with ranting.

I like how you state evidence as your strong point yet you have not provided a single point of evidence. 

We are both dealing in opinions because the activity in either clusters or lack thereof is a matter of opinion. 150 people logged in on a cluster is a dead cluster as a matter of opinion when compared to the 1000 average in the new cluster, just as the new clusters are dead when compared to your average mmo out there. This is evidence of nothing and just an opinion. I had fun in Xanadu when there were 10 people logged in my alliance just as I am having fun now with 15 people in my local. 

I never said the old servers have nothing to offer. What I am saying is that they have nothing to offer the new servers cannot. Sure there are rifts and unique battles but these are things a new player can participate on and its only a matter of time before they get implemented in the new servers.

If there are new players that want to come and explore the rich history of Wurm Online, they are welcome to come to South Freedom! However don't sell them short with promises of an active alliance and hundreds of people to play with only to have them join your deed and have them end up all alone when you log off. I think the last time I saw someone in local on my Xanadu deed must have been last year, and it was my neighbor who lives up the mountain and he hasn't logged back on since.

18 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

I like how you state evidence as your strong point yet you have not provided a single point of evidence. 

We are both dealing in opinions because the activity in either clusters or lack thereof is a matter of opinion. 150 people logged in on a cluster is a dead cluster as a matter of opinion when compared to the 1000 average in the new cluster, just as the new clusters are dead when compared to your average mmo out there. This is evidence of nothing and just an opinion. I had fun in Xanadu when there were 10 people logged in my alliance just as I am having fun now with 15 people in my local. 

I never said the old servers have nothing to offer. What I am saying is that they have nothing to offer the new servers cannot. Sure there are rifts and unique battles but these are things a new player can participate on and its only a matter of time before they get implemented in the new servers.

If there are new players that want to come and explore the rich history of Wurm Online, they are welcome to come to South Freedom! However don't sell them short with promises of an active alliance and hundreds of people to play with only to have them join your deed and have them end up all alone when you log off. I think the last time I saw someone in local on my Xanadu deed must have been last year, and it was my neighbor who lives up the mountain and he hasn't logged back on since.

I think a straightforward comparison between numbers counts as "evidence." I didn't think 100 =/= 10 was especially controversial. That is a fact, which means conflating the condition a server with 10 people on it with a server that has 100 people on it is a distortion of fact. Similarly, I don't know if the people in question post on the forums, but I can ask them if they'd like to join in. Again, the evidence is available, even if I do not have it on hand at this exact moment.

And the statement that they have nothing to offer that the new servers don't is a blatant lie. I have provided examples of things the older servers do have that the new servers do not, even one example of something they may NEVER have (the PvP/PvP relationship of SFreedom and Chaos), and your response is "Bah, doesn't count!" I have evidence, you have opinion.

And finally, none of us here advertising for the new servers are making this false argument that you're trying to put in our mouths about tons of people being here. We are acknowledging the low population explicitly in our advertisements, and implicitly by the very existence of our request for more players. You are putting this bad argument in our mouths, and that is a bad faith argument. So again, quit ranting if you are just going to lie and ignore the facts that people are willing to offer you.

25 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

Would you rage then?, when the servers eventually gets connected. At some point.

Relax guys. I didn't mean for this to turn into a fight. I was trying to encourage new players to try the Southern Cluster.  I was never trying to say one cluster was better than the other. Overall i agree that the North Servers are better for most new players.... BUT

Players that play like i do, with the intent to be creative and not worry about making silver, will have a perfectly fine time on the Southern servers. Not everyone wants to be in a giant group of people. I play solo. I have a moderate deed with TONS of land that i dont have to worry about some random popping up and taking over.

I have active neighbors that are friendly and fun. So if THAT sounds fun to a new player reading this then sure try the Southern servers.. if not.. off to the North with you!

• Like 5

What a charming thread. If I were a new player, I would be thoroughly convinced where I should settle.

29 minutes ago, Tor said:

Would you rage then?, when the servers eventually gets connected. At some point.

No, why would I? They will be connected at some point and Rolf has said it from the beginning. I have nothing against the old servers and I still play there. Is not an "us" vs "them" argument like Kar has made it out to be.

• Like 1