Sign in to follow this  
xReesex

New Players listen up

First of all, welcome to Wurm! Glad you're here.

That said, I keep reading about new players not wanting to come to the "old" servers because they don't want to "compete" with the old players.. cool. I get that.. but here's the rub....

A lot of the old players ran to the new servers, our merchants included. That means there are plenty of spots available on the old servers(Xanadu, Celebration, Release, Independence, Exodus and Pristine(Pvp servers too but idk their names)) for you guys to come and make a name for yourself.

Granted, finding that perfect coastal deed wont be quite as easy as on some of the new servers, but hey, exploring is half the fun.

So come on over and start on an old server and help support some of the old players. Make us boats, food and equipment or whatever you want. We'll buy it!

Sincerely,

Reese

P.S. Us old players are RICH.. come get that silver.. 😉.

• If interested, I'm near Lormere starting city on Xanadu. IGN: PTReese. I can help with food and starter tools if wanted. Can even point you in the right direction for nice untouched land to claim. Beach front property near me is slim to none, but there are places that are very close to water and deeds that offer free dock space and/or access. Holler in game or PM me here.
  • Ekcin: My area on Xanadu (G13 Vrock Landing) has no recruiting settlements at the moment. But we have a nice inn (Vrock Landing Inn) with 3 free beds, and free CCFP food in the larder (in case of all beds occupied the Lookout Tower on my deed La Cahute - NE of Vrock Landing, and on the highway map - has some extra beds). There are many good spots to settle, directly in the area, or at the shores of Lake Vrock (F13), or Lake Selkie (H14). For further informations about the area and assistance contact me or Timothymarker.
  • https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/174453-the-lunar-order-is-accepting-recruits-updated/
Edited by xReesex
  • Like 16

Maybe you guys should be offering 10s to new citizens if they join ya and maybe you'll get some new people.

lol. we will see more and more posts like that, i know its hard to realise that the old servers are dead and nobody cares about them no more. 

37 minutes ago, Skatyna said:

we will see more and more posts like that, i know its hard to realise that the old servers are dead and nobody cares about them no more. 

Read that a couple of times and see if you can spot the self refutation there.

I can't speak for other servers, but Rel is about the same now as it has been months.  Yes, it is pretty hard to realise something is dead when it keeps kicking.

• Like 6

46 minutes ago, TheTrickster said:
1 hour ago, Skatyna said:

we will see more and more posts like that, i know its hard to realise that the old servers are dead and nobody cares about them no more. 

Read that a couple of times and see if you can spot the self refutation there.

I can't speak for other servers, but Rel is about the same now as it has been months.  Yes, it is pretty hard to realise something is dead when it keeps kicking.

Yes, and Skatyna and some other doomsayers stubbornly continue to make fools out of themselves.

But that should not make us deny problems with welcoming new players. Of course, it is easy to offer them things we have in abundance, but it is simply not true that they will find a large market for things they are making themselves, at least unless "specializing" to bricks, concrete, and support beams.

Around our starter town (Vrock Landing) I see a couple of new buildings, a tent here and there, and the remains of fallen newcomers in the area. Yet the neighbours here are dispersed over a wide range of territory as well as timezones. At least a nice inn with free meals and some beds is provided. And I personally would of course like to support new players here and then, but am certainly not taking citizens. My deed in NE G13 Xanadu is open to Freedom players though, and the beds in the Lookout Tower may be used by anyone who needs.

It would be good if there were an all south freedom recruitment overview list about settlements recruiting at this time, and about presence times of the regulars, and support they may offer. Same goes for alliances willing to take new founded deeds in their vicinity. That would make it easier to tell new players about opportunities to start.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 2

40 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

Yes, and Skatyna and some other doomsayers stubbornly continue to make fools out of themselves.

making a fool of myself? lol its you all fools who expect new players to come to old servers.. What for? why would you start fresh on an old dying server cluster when you can start on new ones with thousands of players? What intensive you get on old cluster? what benefits? NONE! you get same slow grindy skill gain, you get players around you with years of exp, you get a market, where every oldtimer have tons of coins and your chances of making any are from slavery work at best. What lands do you get to build? old ruins everywhere, where you need to clean up before you can even attempt to built anything. what mines/mountains do you get? like swiss cheese with reinforcements everywhere where you cant even do anything without having a mag priest to start with. these are the few out of many "intensives" a new player gets starting on old servers.. yes, they do come, out of curiosity. they look around and are gone. occasional player might like the handicaps of starting on old servers and might stay, but there wont be an influx of players, deal with it. not only that, but even devs are not interested into getting fresh meat into old servers, they much rather spawn a new server in the new cluster.  FACTS. 

Edited by Skatyna

10 hours ago, xReesex said:

So come on over and start on an old server and help support some of the old players. Make us boats, food and equipment or whatever you want. We'll buy it!

I understand that you want to breathe life into the older servers because that's where you've invested time, but when I read that all I see is this:

Why have fun on the new servers where everyone is starting fresh when you can slave away doing menial labor for a handful of irons?

There's nothing outside of tedious, repetitive labor that a new player can offer on an older server. And yes, while tedious actions are the name of the game, none of those actions are going to benefit the new player in any way. They aren't flattening an area for their home, they aren't surface mining for their expansion, they aren't making bricks for their walls. As for boats, food, and equipment? None of the things they can produce can come anywhere close to what an established player with years under their belt can do. Unless the developers add something in that makes it attractive for new players to go there, the majority of them are going to stick to newer servers with a higher population and players closer to them in overall level.

Edited by Sovos
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, Sovos said:

I understand that you want to breathe life into the older servers because that's where you've invested time, but when I read that all I see is this:

There's nothing outside of tedious, repetitive labor that a new player can offer on an older server. And yes, while tedious actions are the name of the game, none of those actions are going to benefit the new player in any way. They aren't flattening an area for their home, they aren't surface mining for their expansion, they aren't making bricks for their walls. As for boats, food, and equipment? None of the things they can produce can come anywhere close to what an established player with years under their belt can do. Unless the developers add something in that makes it attractive for new players to go there, the majority of them are going to stick to newer servers with a higher population and players closer to them in overall level.

Based on my asumptions that might be far fetched, the genuine new players are far less then vocal majority of old and returning players on the new servers that are blinded by "the market" and "the economy" memes. Idk where this nonsense that new players have to make bricks are comming from but there's more chances they will end up doing is on the new servers, because of the demand. The best way for a new players to experience the early game start is by join a community, even more a pvp one and not get stressed much about "the market" and "the economy".

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

Opinions and play styles may differ.

Many of the vocal opinions on the forum here (and in game) point at old servers, predicting death and desertion; saying there is nothing for new players to do amongst the veterans.

But they all assume, that a new player always wants to be part of thriving economy and have a chance to be equal to everyone else.

5 years ago when yours truly started, I didn't care about any of that! I joined the game, I joined a village, and I got to meet some people who I never knew before and today consider my best friends.

Never cared much about money or market. For a year, I didn't leave the village because I didn't need or want to.

I did not care that everyone was 50 levels above me in everything. In fact, it encouraged me and now I outskill them! Hah!

What I am trying to say - have an open mind. Not everyone looks to be "in competition".

Some want to terraform wild untouched forest, some prefer to re-settle old ruins to bring the neighourhood back to life again.

/shrug

• Like 9

11 hours ago, xReesex said:

P.S. Us old players are RICH.. come get that silver.. 😉

Lol Reese would have loved to have known this before starting out but it's a bit late for me now.

The older servers are probably a good place for players who fund their own gaming, not players who are looking to make in game silver right off. (Though there is money to be made off of us old, lazy players!) We have space and highways and good communities!

• Like 4

Well since I'm feeling loquacious this morning, guess I'll add my 2c to this conversation since I'm seeing it everywhere I look anymore.  Others have beat me to it but adding to it anyway. Warning: Kinda long with wandering thoughts. lol. This is not just to folks in this thread but really applies to all the rest of the threads on the same subject.  What the doomsayers and naysayers are not making allowances for is differences in other people's personalities and how they may like to play. Sure, it's natural to feel that what you want and like is the same as what everyone else should, and probably does, want and like.  But that doesn't make it true. 

Yes it's true that many people, possibly even a majority *shrugs,* want to play packed in with crowds of others, competing for space, always someone in local, bustling about & competing in the "market," constant chatter, etc., etc. (which consequently leaves little to no open space for mobs and hunting).  A lot of people really enjoy all that, true. *shrugs again.*  And it's true that a lot of those people might also prefer to do all their own terraforming, tunneling looking for ores, surface mining, etc., etc.

On the other hand, there are many who prefer peace and quiet, have zero interest in a "market" and may or may not want to do all the terraforming themselves. For that matter, some people don't even like terraforming. lol. Or they simply may know they'll never have the time to do a massive land works in order to even begin their dream castle so they just won't bother. They may want to build something really grand but the terraforming in whatever little spot they managed to snag on the "fresh" servers amidst land rush and the crowd would never be suitable even if they did like terrraforming.  Or they may love terraforming but don't want to be crowded in amongst others also terraforming the same area.

The south servers have a lot to offer to many types of people. Granted I now play WU far, far more than I play WO. But that has nothing to do with any of the things people are saying about the old servers. For me it's simply game mechanics, but I still have my place on Release.  As an example of the differences in playstyles, for me the new servers would be an absolute nightmare and would be exactly what I moved to Release to get away from.  I found a place where someone (who must be very like myself, lol), had already carved out one of the most charming places I think I've ever seen in Wurm. I fell instantly in love with it. And even though I love terraforming and mining, I can still do that.  And it's very secluded with the surrounding terrain being a deterrent to anyone butting right up against my perimeter on any side.  Not everyone wants to be packed in like sardines.

So I say to the new folks, if you're not fond of all the things people are saying you should be looking for and why you should be on the new servers, you may just find what you're looking for in the south. 😉  It's really not like the picture they're painting for you.  Check it out for yourself. You may be pleasantly surprised.

• Like 9

Rich but cheap! Dig 1000 dirt and get paid 1 whole silver or play on the newservers and dig 1000 dirt for 5 whole silvers!

Get your skills to 90 and sell tools for 50c each ooooorrrr get to 90 on the new servers and sell for 5s!

Find a piece of land that has been butchered to hell and back ooooooorrrrrr get a nice fresh spot to do what you want.

New land is perfect for new players

Edited by warrior
  • Like 2

34 minutes ago, warrior said:

Don't get your skills to 90 and buy tools for 50c each ooooorrrr don't get to 90 on the new servers and buy for 5s!

I had to tweak your post a bit as this "fantastic" economy on the new servers is not at all interesting for those who want to buy.

I prefer to buy for 50c.

It actually doesn't matter whether you buy or sell for 50c or 5s. Is your shiny virtual silver from your virtual economy in your video game going to pay for real life? The only winner is here is Code Club that made a ton of real money by making a new cluster where everyone had to buy silver again. 🙄

Edited by Bittereinder
  • Like 2
  • Cat 1

"Rawr! I want to play with moar people but I dont want to move to the place where people are! Come here instead!"

While I understand the sentiment, why not give the new servers a try? If you dont like it your old stuff will still be there. Try something new!

Edited by Angelklaine

16 minutes ago, Bittereinder said:

I had to tweak your post a bit as this "fantastic" economy on the new servers is not at all interesting for those who want to buy.

I prefer to buy for 50c.

It actually doesn't matter whether you buy or sell for 50c or 5s. Is your shiny virtual silver from your virtual economy in your video game going to pay for real life? The only winner is here is Code Club that made a ton of real money by making a new cluster where everyone had to buy silver again. 🙄

A lot of new players won't want to spend much money initially. On the new servers it's completely viable to be f2p. 

Why do these conversations always inevitably descend into either-or and hostility?

@Angelklaine: As someone who has gone over and played on Melody a bit, I am much happier with my two toons on Xanadu.

Why is it valid for you to tell us to "try something new," but not OK for those of us on the old servers to suggest the same thing to new players? As you say, their North Freedom toons will still be there in a week if old South Freedom doesn't suit their tastes.

I can agree with the argument that the market is more "competitive" in North Freedom, and there is more of an active population, currently. I can agree that these are good reasons for people who want these things to go and play there. But I don't think that invalidates the position that there are benefits to the older servers too. I think the economic argument is a bit reductive when you consider that players in North Freedom cannot make nearly as much money foraging for coins than they can in the South.

But more importantly, there is a lot more to Wurm than just the economy, and players who don't care as much about being able to sell stuff for silver may have a much better time in the old servers than the new ones. There is an established community of people, many of whom are set up to help newcomers and are glad to do so. Do you need to earn lots of silver if people will let you live on their deed for free, if all you care about is mastering a particular set of skills? And the sheer amount of quality items that you can get for free in South Freedom never seems to come up. Maybe if new players knew what an "Impalong" was, the calculus in deciding between the old servers and the new servers might be very different.

(P.S. For New Players Reading This, an Impalong is an event where crafters and priests will provide free improvements and enchantments to gear for anyone; it's an opportunity for them to level skills, while new players can get quality gear that can make their lives much easier)

And then there's the one thing that South Freedom has which North Freedom just doesn't: Chaos. Specifically, a PvP server that players can bring their gear and materials from PvE to use.

And again, I don't think that all of these pro-South Freedom arguments I just made invalidate the benefits of the new cluster. I just think that you can reasonably discuss the pros and cons of both without accusing us old-worlders of just being a bunch of whiners. Eh, @Skatyna?

Edited by KharnovKrow
Defining an Impalong for newbie readers
  • Like 5

20 minutes ago, warrior said:

A lot of new players won't want to spend much money initially. On the new servers it's completely viable to be f2p. 

I purchased 100 silver on the new server. After dropping a massive deed and buying a rare knife I got about 70 silver left. Thats the extent of my expenditures.

You can very well play without spending a penny on the new servers. You make 1k bricks, sell them and that should get you enough to get 15 days of prem. All it takes is a hole in the ground and an afternoon. A thick rope is going for 60c, sheets for 30. Cotton goes for like 100x 1s or so. Making money on the new servers is easy.

8 minutes ago, KharnovKrow said:

Why do these conversations always inevitably descend into either-or and hostility?

@Angelklaine: As someone who has gone over and played on Melody a bit, I am much happier with my two toons on Xanadu.

Why is it valid for you to tell us to "try something new," but not OK for those of us on the old servers to suggest the same thing to new players? As you say, their North Freedom toons will still be there in a week if old South Freedom doesn't suit their tastes.

I can agree with the argument that the market is more "competitive" in North Freedom, and there is more of an active population, currently. I can agree that these are good reasons for people who want these things to go and play there. But I don't think that invalidates the position that there are benefits to the older servers too. I think the economic argument is a bit reductive when you consider that players in North Freedom cannot make nearly as much money foraging for coins than they can in the South.

But more importantly, there is a lot more to Wurm than just the economy, and players who don't care as much about being able to sell stuff for silver may have a much better time in the old servers than the new ones. There is an established community of people, many of whom are set up to help newcomers and are glad to do so. Do you need to earn lots of silver if people will let you live on their deed for free, if all you care about is mastering a particular set of skills? And the sheer amount of quality items that you can get for free in South Freedom never seems to come up. Maybe if new players knew what an "Impalong" was, the calculus in deciding between the old servers and the new servers might be very different.

And then there's the one thing that South Freedom has which North Freedom just doesn't: Chaos. Specifically, a PvP server that players can bring their gear and materials from PvE to use.

And again, I don't think that all of these pro-South Freedom arguments I just made invalidate the benefits of the new cluster. I just think that you can reasonably discuss the pros and cons of both without accusing us old-worlders of just being a bunch of whiners. Eh, @Skatyna?

Is not that you cant suggest it. Its that you can't expect it. The old servers are and have been empty since before Steam, and now they are deserted. You are asking new players to forsake a community of hundreds of players to go play with.... you? I rather they played on the active side and actually want to stay for years to come.

There is nothing wrong with going to the old servers, but you will not see a community to rival the one on the new servers, ever. There is nothing to offer the new people. People can't pay for their own prem with in game money on the old servers. You have to make about 5x more bricks for a month of premium in Xanadu, and that is if you can find someone to buy them, and no one, absolutely no one, will buy your 30ql non enchanted tools, or your 10ql rowboat.

What can the old servers possibly offer the new ones other than your undying friendship? Scale they can't ever obtain? Unique groups they cant ever join? A dead economy? 

I am not saying they shouldnt go there, but be realistic. Southern Feedom is the new Epic. 

17 minutes ago, KharnovKrow said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hold on hold on hold on. What gear do you think a 20 body player will use on Chaos that will help? And that is IF they find a kingdom who would let them join, let alone do something in pvp.

Edited by Angelklaine

Why do you have to make asumptions that new players can't afford premium or buy some silvers. And insist of digging or making bricks and selling tools. If this is all about the game can offer, they are better off elsewhere to be honest

8 minutes ago, Tor said:

Why do you have to make asumptions that new players can't afford premium or buy some silvers. And insist of digging or making bricks and selling tools. If this is all about the game can offer, they are better off elsewhere to be honest

I agree. Its not all about the market. But that's not what my whole argument is.  There is nothing wrong for new players to chose to come to the old servers, but there is a reason why they arent. That's one of the reasons among other things.

There is very little that the old servers can offer than the new ones cant, and its generally limited to gear. Sure you can make 90ql/104 enchant tools for new people.... but for what? So they can grind and have a house in a dead server? Ask the guys in Desertion what good did the increased skill gain and faster actions did them? Or anyone on epic for that matter. 

Edited by Angelklaine
Grammar

Dear new players, join the new servers. Let the old ones die a natural death.

• Like 4

43 minutes ago, Angelklaine said:

HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Hold on hold on hold on. What gear do you think a 20 body player will use on Chaos that will help? And that is IF they find a kingdom who would let them join, let alone do something in pvp.

See, this here demonstrates the problem with your reasoning. You are absolutely right that a new player has little to no business mucking about on Chaos, and there isn't much of a community there to support them right now. But see, I have visited Chaos once in the 2 or so years that I have been playing Wurm, and that one visit had nothing to do with PvP. But the fact that, one day, when I am ready, I can sail over to Chaos from Xanadu, or even help fun a war on Chaos from the safety of Xanadu, is really appealing to me. It's years down the road, but that's what Wurm is all about. Unless they change the rules on Defiance, a player who wants that, SOME DAY, has to come to South Freedom.

You're wrong about the community down here. Lots of people have left, but plenty of us are still here. And just how much of that wonderful North Freedom community is going to be left in six months, a year? How many of them are just South Freedom veterans who are eventually going to return to their 10+ year investments in the old cluster? Again, I'm not demanding anyone come to the old servers, but aggressively arguing that they are worthless is false and seems more like an attempt to try and kill them by deterring new players rather than supporting the argument they are already "dead." The comparison to Epic is grotesquely misleading.

P.S. 115 other players on Xanadu as I speak, that's 1/20 of the entire online Wurm population of 2048. "South Freedom is the new Epic." *spits*

Edited by KharnovKrow
  • Like 1