Sign in to follow this  
Arronicus

What brought you to Cadence?

With the opening of Cadence, many people journeyed forward in a rush with boats, or even just via the portal, to stake their first claim, or to move over from Harmony or Melody to Defiance. For those of you who moved, what led you to pack up and move to Cadence, and how are you enjoying the change of scenery? Would certainly love to see pictures of people's new places. 

I'm hunting wabbits, be wery careful it's wabbit season.

• Like 1

The chance to start my own "ranch" style deed in the middle of nowhere

• Like 1

We moved because the area we had settled on Harmony was a bit crowded to say the least. Found a huge area on Cadence on the Waterfront, my nearest neighbor is outside of local chat! Very nice new server!

• Like 4

That "get away from it all" thing.  

Harmony was thick with toons, to the point I found local chat and the event log impossible to use reasonably.  The local environment was stripped bare, full of dug holes and pitched tents.  I ported to Melody in it's first few days.  I found it wasn't quite as bad, but the deeds all over the place made even hunting a bit awkward - few critters and if you killed one chances were you wouldn't have permissions to do anything with it.  When Cadence was announced, I thought about it for a few days and then headed back to coast, built a boat and sailed over.  I made a point of sailing east so as to land on the west coast.  

The huge spike in new characters that occurred when Harmony/Defiance opened will not be repeated so despite new incoming players being nudged to Cadence, it won't be the same ant-hill.  I picked a a spot with a reasonable outlook ant planted my deed right there.  I had thought to pick a little island or peninsula or maybe an inlet but in the end picked what on the map might look pretty plain.  The idea being that I won't soon be crowded out.  I am happy to interact, but don't want a cacophony surrounding me all the time.  As the saying goes, good fences make good neighbours.  

Edited by TheTrickster
  • Like 3

I think that i got swept up in the whole "land rush" mentality. And it was worth it.

I'd founded a deed on Harmony and i was in the process of developing it, but things weren't going too well, I made a few mistakes in deed design, and I was continually threatened by dangerous creatures. The location i had was pretty great, but I was never really happy with it. I was situated on a rocky ridge, very rough, to the extent that road-building was very difficult. one corner would be solid rock that needed surface mining down, but the next corner would have 30 dirt that needed to be dug beforehand. And although my 25 x 100 deed had exposed rock faces scattered everywhere, I never prospected anything other than iron or zinc.

So all things considered, I was ready to be convinced to move somewhere else. Now, as many have commented, the outline of Cadence just... doesn't look good on the map. But that is a problem that becomes completely irrelevant as soon as you zoom in. The long coastline and the extensive lake network promises many happy settlers over a broad area, and I found exactly the sort of spot I was looking for fairly easily. Since I was in a sailing ship waiting near the border when access was opened up, I think i was the first to deed in the area, and now I have some half a dozen allies who are within walking distance, but not in local.

I think that this map represents a new state of the art, as far as maturity and technique of design are concerned. The terrain is both more gentle and more believable. Resources such as clay, peat and moss seem to be well distributed, and coastlines are mainly either sand or marsh, with relatively few of the "drowning cliffs" that characterize many other maps. Finally, there are the rolling meadows and prairies, both steppe and grass, that are very beautiful areas to live near.

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 3

Character name TopCat - I played Wurm back in 2017. And then before that in 2013. I didn't think that I ever wanted to play it again, to be honest.

Then I got an email about it coming to Steam, and that perked my interest a little. but not enough. I passed. Then I got the email about Cadence, and something clicked. I looked at the map, took the steps needed to recover my old account (and then not use it, for obvious reasons), and logged in a few days before Cadence's release. I spent a day working on skills, then started making a rowboat.

While I was making the rowboat, my wife, Andara, who has never really had any interest in Wurm, decided to join me all the same. We looked over the map again. I suggested a location. She suggested another location close to the one I was thinking about. And then we came, ~10 hours after the server opened and the land rush began. Just the act of rowing to find out if the area we had in mind was still available took hours - and we picked up a hitchhiker and brought him to Cadence too, while we were at it.

When we got to the place we wanted, there was nobody near. No monsters, no visible people, no names in Local. It was perfect.

And still is. ;)

I9Acb6i.png

Edited by Nekojin
  • Like 2

I made a new toon and came to Cad only because an old friend who hadn't actively played in many years talked me into it, based purely on the map! While it doesn't look terribly appealing on first look, I can echo what Sheffie said about how it actually is once you are there, it is beautiful, everything you could want really and so far a decent distance between players and deeds, and I absolutely love it. I mainly am in love with the beaches that aren't just a spit at the bottom of a rock mountain lol, but are actually decent sized sandy beaches that go up to gently rolling hills, meadows and forests, with mountains never too far away from most places. Seriously whoever designed this map did a fantastic job thank you so much!

I have always been a die hard Pristine resident, I don't even go off to other servers for unique kills or rites, and could never really understand those who have deeds on multiple servers. I was always particularly loud moaning whenever alliance and server seemed to empty out for new servers, Xan, WU, Jackel, and then the first 2 new servers, but I guess I have to shut up on that subject now since I have done the deed too by settling on Cadence :D (though never going to abandon my main toon on Pristine). No rush to do a lot of deed work, but I got a large cart made and friend working on a rowboat so we can get out and explore a lot more than we did on foot and riding a cow (ah the good old days, had totally forgotten both how hard it is and how fun being a newbie). I also find it interesting that we are getting a lot of really old players coming back for the new servers, but in particular for this map, have my friend and have heard in chat or spoken to a good few who like him haven't been active in like 5-7 years at least.

Our 'front yard' (those trees were finally chopped down late last night just for the view), forest behind us and to the sides, further back is meadows, steppe and an inland lake, clay, tar and rock surface to mine all on deed or in perimeter. Desert patches, starter town and mountain not too far away. Ocean access just ahead there in the pic.What more could you want really?

il6UJZu.png

• Like 3

I started off on Harmony, had a lot of fun, even managed to make a camp on a mountainside. Dug a well, dug a mine, then the noob buffs ran out and the 50 huge spiders / lions / trolls / etc. Got to me. This was before they fixed creature pathing, so my entire mine was filled with monsters, my mine doors kept disappearing, etc. Decided I liked the game enough to go premium and build a deed, but I really didn't like the spot. Tried Melody on another character. I really didn't like the map design with the giant desert and crater-like mountains. Although I did climb one of them and seeing the view from up there was really cool. Cadence is way more forgiving with resource placement and fewer mazey forests to get lost in. It's nice I can always sail to Harmony and Melody later and visit, but I would definitely recommend Cadence to those who want to build a new homestead.

• Like 2

I had gotten pretty burned out on wurm to the point where i have hardly played the last couple of years, tho still have 2 deeds on Indy ..

Having previously run a non prem char in the first days of Pristine .. new servers are "interesting" to check out imo, ...  was intending to try out a new start on the new servers, but the Harmony/Melody launch didnt go great so i held off.

When Cadence was announced i decided here was my chance , so made a new char, and logged in within a few mins of start up .. Wandered randomly out of Encore, to end up in an area w a unique sand patches and clumps of predominantly olive trees biome.

Im enjoying the whole starting from scratch and need to raise 20 different skills right now to get stuff done aspect of it :).

Im not a fan of the usual way server landscapes develop .. make everything flat, straight, right angles everywhere, so plan is to modify the landscape as little as possible, and do underground houses.

Ho boy do i miss my priests tho.

Looking forward to the map dumps, so i can work out where i am :)

Char name Khantaka

Deed name RedKeep

Edited by Scottfree2

I normally play Wurm Unlimited, but was interested in trying WO out again when the Steam version launched with new servers. I puttered around on Harmony for a couple of weeks but was not thrilled with the area I settled. When the Cadence map was posted it really appealed to me with all the waterways, coastline, islands and mountains. I figured there would be some beautiful scenery, and was I ever right! I found a lovely raised peninsula with awesome views whichever direction I look. I am happily settling in after a few days of digging non stop :) If I could ever get pictures to post on the forums here I would add some. Seems like it should be a lot easier to do that 😜

was told there were some Neko girls somewhere on the server. I need a girlfriend

• Like 1

Came to build a Temple/Way Shrine/Fortress in the name of Libila!

I started Wurm on Melody and didn't have a sense of size for the worlds or how dense population can be.

Got annoying after a few days when there were neighbours in any direction kinda, but still had a good sized deed at the coast. When exploring I just didn't feel like in a world or MMO, but on a small-ish server because of the size of the map and the deeds everywhere you go.

At first look I did not like the Cadence map, but when it released, I created a character to explore a bit and liked it ingame very much. Waited a few more days until I explored it via ship from Melody and while many good coastal spots at main water-ways are taken, there were still plenty of good spots, so much room for expansion and just the landscape is amazing.

Auk8axT.png

Harder to travel because of so many lakes and water, so pretty much a good ship is my goal now and selling my old deed on Melody in a few days.

The terrain and beautiful map.

I started with the release of Northern Cluster, and didn't have a clue - wandered along the coast from Harmony Bay until I hit a spot that wasn't yet deeded.

In hindsight, the place was not great. Had to do a lot of awkward terraforming, the water front was way too deep - too deep to expand into it without purchasing many a gold for dirt. And the problem seemed to be the same across Harmony, very low dirt layer.

And then I helped my neighbors move to Cadence. And found the most amazing spot - coastline, with a lake on the other side. Nice orchard forest, with walnuts nearby. Good layer of dirt. Even managed to open decent mines. And it's not packed with deeds, allowing us to open up another deed for just farming, and still more room for expansion.

• Like 1

Melody was pretty crowded. And I realised that my personal challenge of settling in the middle of a desert meant a bit too much excitment in my daily life.

Now I have an idylic little island just big enough for a one silver deed, and friendly neighbours.

Edited by Rusk
  • Like 1

On 8/22/2020 at 8:58 PM, Arronicus said:

With the opening of Cadence, many people journeyed forward in a rush with boats, or even just via the portal, to stake their first claim, or to move over from Harmony or Melody to Defiance. For those of you who moved, what led you to pack up and move to Cadence, and how are you enjoying the change of scenery? Would certainly love to see pictures of people's new places. 

For me, it was resources and animals

Melody seemed over-populated and there were no creatures to charm or hunt.

Finding a Turtle was an adventure...

Valormoore members went to Cadence, so I went to help and take a look. I immediately found a lot of Turtles which I will call Turtle Bay, so many I was able to pick an age and wasn't stuck with just what I could find or not find in Melody.

Then I found what I called "Spider Hill", so many creatures I couldn't claim the deed without help killing them all. I was in heaven. 

The move from Melody to Cadence will be an adjustment, but it is the place for me now.

On 8/25/2020 at 9:39 AM, TheTrickster said:

That "get away from it all" thing.  

Harmony was thick with toons, to the point I found local chat and the event log impossible to use reasonably.  The local environment was stripped bare, full of dug holes and pitched tents.  I ported to Melody in it's first few days.  I found it wasn't quite as bad, but the deeds all over the place made even hunting a bit awkward - few critters and if you killed one chances were you wouldn't have permissions to do anything with it.  When Cadence was announced, I thought about it for a few days and then headed back to coast, built a boat and sailed over.  I made a point of sailing east so as to land on the west coast.  

The huge spike in new characters that occurred when Harmony/Defiance opened will not be repeated so despite new incoming players being nudged to Cadence, it won't be the same ant-hill.  I picked a a spot with a reasonable outlook ant planted my deed right there.  I had thought to pick a little island or peninsula or maybe an inlet but in the end picked what on the map might look pretty plain.  The idea being that I won't soon be crowded out.  I am happy to interact, but don't want a cacophony surrounding me all the time.  As the saying goes, good fences make good neighbours.  

Update:  I disbanded my deed, sailed around for a nicer spot and deeded in a really beautiful little area.  The nomad bugs were biting, though, so I put my deed on the market and sailed for Encore.  I was still in town when I found a buyer, who portalled over and we traded deed for coin.  They weren't sure on how to get to the deed quickly so I also sold them my boat and hit the road with Shank's Mare.  I found a terrific region peppered with creatures of all kinds, so built a big cart, installed a 2 horsepower motor and have embraced the gathering-no-moss gameplay.