Sign in to follow this  
kordethbludscythe

idea for a new carpentry craftable item

I was thinking while i was hauling dirt that a wheelbarrow would be a nice item that would allow a person to move at only a slightly reduced weight if activated while carrying dirt/sand/clay/shards. i dont think it should allow more than one can carry but i think having a wheelbarrow would be useful when having to haul lots of dirt around ... i do understand that the carts serve a purpose sort of similar and a horse cart can be a major boon to a person capable of using it. i suggest this for those players that are not premium to be able to make their tedium less boring. just an idea

The small cart essentially IS a wheelbarrow. Were you thinking an even lighter carrier with less capacity?

Small cart holds 9 logs or (I think) 40 dirt/ore. Same as a raft? 

Would be nice if you could hitch a smaller animal, jump on top, and "steer" it at something like 5 khm for pig/dog, 6khm for deer/sheep, 7khm for moo-cow. Too small for horses/bulls/bison.

Not fast enough to outrun any mobs, just fast enough to be a lot more efficient than carrying the dirt/logs 100 tiles.. 

SCHWEINEGESPANN-MIT-WEIHNACHTSMANN_600x6

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 1

Yes, barrows could have a place in Wurm.

I suggested them in amongst other stuff in this suggestion;

Here's the bit about barrows;

Barrows

While typing this, I realized we need another "cart",  smaller than a small cart. With a small cart, if you have a body strength of 30 and are carrying 100kq on your person, your maximum draggable cart load is over 1,000kg.  That would be over 50dirts, but since it is capped at 40 the load in that case would be 800kg.  Admittedly, dragging that would be uber slow, but doable.  A smaller container for "pottering" could be useful, especially for newbies.  Make its capacity 1/4 that of a cart for instance.  10 dirts, 200kg.   More than most can carry for a while (for me, once regular inventory and attire are factored in, it is roughly twice what I can currently carry of this kind of raw material) and also importantly, it can be moved about at a much higher walking speed.  Make it easier to craft than a small cart, not lockable but maybe able to be carried when empty (like a BSB in that regard). 

For material... hmm... 1 small wheel, 1 small nails, 2 shafts, 5 planks?  More material and complexity than a bucket, less than a cart.  Less likely to litter up the landscape because it can't be locked (it's not a storage container but a tool) so it is either secured away unseen or able to be moved. It's an open container so no damage protection for contents.

It would be good to be able to load a barrow with for example boatmaking bits (hull planks, tenons, tar are all somewhat bulky and heavy for a new player).

• Like 1

Of course, if

a) a sheep or pig could be hitched to a small cart

and

b)animals hitched to carts and wagons could be led at a walking pace

then

1) Wurm would be richer for it

and

2) a separate carrier like a wheelbarrow is even more disctinctive and useful for beginners.

• Like 1

+1 Recalling my many non premium months of slowly slogging uphill dragging that...lovely ahem...small cart and the feeling of endless drudgery and time lost, I think both the small barrow and being able to hitch an animal to a small cart would help new players out considerably. Not to mention they would look kind of cute. lol 

+1 it would be very useful for terraforming with a 'dump' option.