Sign in to follow this  
Malena

Roleplay and Wurm - special RP themed stream tomorrow with Faerran & KatsPurr

Hey guys, 

Roleplaying in Wurm:

• Does it even exist? Do you think Wurm would benefit from more of it?
  • Do you play Wurm IC = "in character"?
  • How often do you see other people roleplaying? 
  • Would you like to try, but just never do because you don't see others roleplaying?
  • Do you think we've been seeing more RP after Steam launch and if so, why do you think that is?
  • What things do you think the dev team could do, to promote roleplay more in Wurm? More emotes? More animations? More outfits? 
  • Do you think we should have a section in the forums dedicated to roleplaying? So RP:ers could find each other, agree on events, RP hotspots etc?
  • Should we have an optional RP chat tab that could be turned on and off from profile settings? (much like the new international help channel)
  • Should we have an optional voice chat system that could be used for roleplay? 
  • Should we have an optional [RP] tag in our names, to make it easier for roleplayers to recognize each other?
  • Should we have an optional panel, where we could write our backstories + other info for other roleplayers to read, similar to the RP addons you can get for WoW?

pvw49122.jpg

These are just some of the questions that Faerran and I will be discussing in tomorrow's Sunday Factional Fight stream. Yes indeedy, you read correctly! Since Adam is away on holiday, Faerran invited me (some of you might know me as KatsPurr) to join him as a guest. Since we are both are RP inclined, we thought this would be the perfect topic to discuss together with you guys.

We already have some things in mind to talk about, but we'd love to hear what YOU guys have to say on the topic! So please do share your thoughts both here and on stream, and let's discuss!

Factional Fight on Twitch: https://www.twitch.tv/factionalfight

PS: The questions I'm posing in this post, are purely from a player (not a dev) perspective. 

• Like 15

These are all absolutely wonderful suggestions.

Every Wurm player is different and wants something different from the game,  but this would help open Wurm more to the roleplaying gaming community without in any way obstructing the non-roleplayer community.

• Like 4

Yes, agree that these are great questions/suggestions.

I’ve roleplayed in many MMOs in the past, and would always play on a RP server. However, I’ve never roleplayed in Wurm! As there aren’t RP servers in Wurm, I’d definitely like to see some functionality to help with RPing. An RP tag next to our names would be great, and a separate RP chat tab would be cool. Some official RP events would also be most welcome.

• Like 3

27 minutes ago, Malena said:

Hey guys, 

Roleplaying in Wurm:

1 Does it even exist? Do you think Wurm would benefit from more of it?

2 Do you play Wurm IC = "in character"?

3 How often do you see other people roleplaying? 

4 Would you like to try, but just never do because you don't see others roleplaying?

5 Do you think we've been seeing more RP after Steam launch and if so, why do you think that is

1 no.

2 no.

3 never, not even once.

4 no.

5 no.

• Like 3

17 minutes ago, Tpikol said:

1 no.

2 no.

3 never, not even once.

4 no.

5 no.

• Cat 1

I saw a stream with some roleplayers the other day and they seemed to be having a blast. I don't know what would be involved in adding RP elements to Wurm, but it seems fun. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

These are all absolutely wonderful suggestions.

Every Wurm player is different and wants something different from the game,  but this would help open Wurm more to the roleplaying gaming community without in any way obstructing the non-roleplayer community.

Yeah exactly! This is the sort of thing that takes absolutely nothing away from players who don't care, but gives a lot to those players who would make Wurm an even livelier, magical and more immersive world to be in.

2 hours ago, Goodwin said:

Yes, agree that these are great questions/suggestions.

I’ve roleplayed in many MMOs in the past, and would always play on a RP server. However, I’ve never roleplayed in Wurm! As there aren’t RP servers in Wurm, I’d definitely like to see some functionality to help with RPing. An RP tag next to our names would be great, and a separate RP chat tab would be cool. Some official RP events would also be most welcome.

Same here Goodwin, I've always played on the RP servers of other MMOs. But in Wurm, since I've not seen a strong RP presense, I keep it to a minimum, staying "lightly" IC when interacting with folks as long as they seem to be enjoying it. 

I'd guess that any RP events would be up to the players to organize themselves. Thankfully, we have all the tools needed!

35 minutes ago, NeeNee said:

I saw a stream with some roleplayers the other day and they seemed to be having a blast. I don't know what would be involved in adding RP elements to Wurm, but it seems fun. 

Yeah I saw them too! You're talking about elminster right? They seem like a fun bunch! Another roleplayer who has recently started streaming wurm is Lochabar, who has been heavily involved in the RP scene in other MMOs. Also, during my own streams, there are a couple of old wurmians who stay in character even while chatting on stream, which is always cool to see.

• Like 1

1- yes and I love it, I feel RP would benefit the longevity of peoples interests or commitments to place and factions. (make a story, share in the fake drama :P) 
2- IC most of the time if you ask something in game chat.
3- If I start a roleplay situation usually people roleplay back a bit
4- O i try!
5- came with the steam launch, Wurm has been a hidden gem somehow
6 - the examples you have set for a RP direction seem great
7 - A forum section is always good for RP's but they do tend to make their own lore within their RP discords, but you could copy and paste here. Also some people like to have a sign post for RP such as bounties or notices for factional disputes.
8 - yes
9 - yes
10 - yes
11 - yes

Being new to Wurm and starting off in a RP heavy sense I love all the ideas suggested!   The examples you have are implemented well in other MMO's and offer players a bit more immersion while allowing people who might not be as interested, the chance to avoid such encounters/players.  That being said FF-XIV had some great RP moments from emotes and facial expressions (and its a cute AF game).  Or with games like DayZ standalone/arma 3/gtav A lot of the situations where expressed better with emotes even though they didn't have many.  Again I love all the ideas and they would definitely help any RP community. 

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Malena said:

Yeah I saw them too! You're talking about elminster right? They seem like a fun bunch! Another roleplayer who has recently started streaming wurm is Lochabar, who has been heavily involved in the RP scene in other MMOs. Also, during my own streams, there are a couple of old wurmians who stay in character even while chatting on stream, which is always cool to see.

Yup! It was fun to see them get an unexpected visit and try to feed their villager to a dev!

• Like 2

As long as every RPer understands nobody is obligated to interact with them "In character" outside of RP tabs or whatnot, sure.

Nearly 100% chance of grief to follow, regardless.

I've seen a couple of people roleplay since playing on the new servers - which is two more than what I've seen roleplaying on the old servers, so an improvement, I suppose? 

Wurm lends itself very well to roleplay, as it's a more immersive world than most MMOs, imo. I would love to RP more in-game, if others play along as well. :)

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

1 hour ago, Beanbag said:

As long as every RPer understands nobody is obligated to interact with them "In character" outside of RP tabs or whatnot, sure.

I absolutely agree with this. Since Wurm does not have separate roleplaying servers, I would hope that anyone trying to roleplay with just normal players understands this fact and is willing and able to be flexible when encountering people who don't want to play along.  

• Like 1

I liked the ability in WOW, to play in RP guilds, and even RP servers. Most of the time I had a character just for RP with a character story and everything.

Here in Wurm, the possibilities are better than in any other game I've tried before. Here someone can really express what he is in his role, be it with clothes, objects or actions. It's not about forcing all the people you meet to role-play, but rather creating an atmosphere in which someone can simply enjoy in-game interactions that differ from the usual chat on site about what is happening with deed building or grinding.

What I missed was the overhead speech we have now. Now that it's there, it makes sense to sit down and chat. Now we can see for example if someone is shouting something and where this person is sitting in a pub. We can put these cool beer mugs on the tables, get drunk together or ride a crocodile into the water. We can do it to enjoy the game mechanics, but we could also use all of that to create a gaming experience that creates memories.

Sometimes RP can be too much after a long day at work or a stressful day, but other times it's exciting and fun, and creates a completely different gaming experience.

In-game window for a character description would be great. RP chat isn't that necessary to me because I think local chat is fine for roleplaying, but if it's optional and still showing speech above the heads, why not? RP Voice Chat would not be my personal preference. And I also think voice chat would lead to conversations that people standing nearby but didn't turn it on would simply miss. So for my taste, people should be heard talking to each other and standing around others. It's also part of the fun of seeing other people interact with each other and creating opportunities to get involved.

Edited by Sirene
  • Like 2

On 8/23/2020 at 1:41 AM, Beanbag said:

Absolutely. That’s probably why I haven’t ever RPed in Wurm previously as I’m always aware that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

A dedicated chat tab and/or a RP tag would help address any concerns.

• Like 2

I saw a houndreds of RP players in World of Warcraft, during my 10 years of playing it, even tho I have played on RPPVP servers, not pure RP ones.

I have never met single one RP player in Wurm during my 6 years of playing Wurm. But maybe couse I always played on PVP server.

• Like 1

Huge thanks to Kats and Faerran for the stream! I missed it live, but just finished watching the VOD.

• Does it even exist? Do you think Wurm would benefit from more of it? I've responded in character to anyone wandering through or near my deed, and I've yet to have a negative reaction. Occasionally a bit of light roleplay springs up from the interaction, which is grand! Wurm looks like a perfect, immersive platform for roleplay, and I've been surprised by how little I've seen, but that doesn't mean it isn't out there. Wurm is vast.
  • Do you play Wurm IC = "in character"? I've been trying to. It doesn't seem like the goal of most of my neighbouring deeds, but I'm excited to visit places like The Limping Troll and The Kingdom, and any other RP hotspots that may pop up.
  • How often do you see other people roleplaying? Rarely, unless I've initiated it. But I haven't traveled very far afield.
  • Would you like to try, but just never do because you don't see others roleplaying? Seeing it more in the wild would certainly help me remain in character more often, but that's just a matter of figuring out where the community is, if the community is.
  • Do you think we've been seeing more RP after Steam launch and if so, why do you think that is? I've only started playing Wurm since the Steam launch, so I couldn't say.
  • What things do you think the dev team could do, to promote roleplay more in Wurm? More emotes? More animations? More outfits? See below.
  • Do you think we should have a section in the forums dedicated to roleplaying? So RP:ers could find each other, agree on events, RP hotspots etc? Yes! There seems to be a little used in-character forum, but a general out-of-character roleplay-focused subforum would be excellent for arranging events, or finding/cataloguing roleplayers or hotspots.
  • Should we have an optional RP chat tab that could be turned on and off from profile settings? (much like the new international help channel) I don't see why not. In the stream, you brought up the distance of Local and how that can discourage RP, and obviously, that fellow who wasn't having any of Saph or Faerran's nonsense kept seeing you talking to at least Raylanie, if not Achaicus as well, since it was all within the massive Local range. A smaller, perhaps optional "Proximity" range could be pretty rad! I wouldn't feel like I was talking to all of my Local-range neighbours whenever I said hello to someone passing through my deed. 
  • Should we have an optional voice chat system that could be used for roleplay? I'm not sure what server costs might be, and I wouldn't personally use it. But if enough people would, then I don't see any reason not to consider it. Monitoring voice channels for abuse can be a bit nightmarish, but if we have an easy and effective mute function, perhaps?
  • Should we have an optional [RP] tag in our names, to make it easier for roleplayers to recognize each other? RP tags are useful if you aren't feeling up to the possibility of rejection, or to rally community. It's a small change that is entirely opt-in and has worked well in other games in the past, going all the way back to at least Everquest. Even UO had visible guild tags and titles that occasionally stood in for roleplay tags back in the day.
  • Should we have an optional panel, where we could write our backstories + other info for other roleplayers to read, similar to the RP addons you can get for WoW? Goodness, yes. Surely we don't all look like the generic young, fit Wurmians that the models make us out to be, despite the tonnes of dirt we haul around. Profiles have been used since at least Ultima Online, and are a great way to give a little more information about your character, leave RP hooks, or for the non-roleplayers, advertise services you are willing and able to provide to the community without needing to spam an advertisement message. Again, it's an opt-in function that can be used in many different ways, RP or no.

I really like the IRC functionality that already exists in-game for pubs, theatres, festival tents... really, any small, noisy location that you wouldn't want to spam Local for eighty tiles all around. Hang a sign on the door that says "/join TheLimpingTroll IRC for proximity chat!", and keep the noise pollution down for neighbouring deeds.

The topic of clothing came up, and while generating new models is expensive, a vanity slot system could be a short term, small investment value add to help us look the way we want, not the way we need to based on the game reality of armour being necessary when out and about. More models and animations are great, of course, but if new cosmetic clothing options exist without changing the core reality of the mechanics, why wear them instead of armour, as Faerran noted? Weight-free vanity slots, as in LOTRO (I think?) are a great option. Maybe a wardrobe for clothing storage, either a built object in a house or shifting clothing into "hammer-space" so that outfits can be built, saved, and swapped easily as needed?

I know mods are always an iffy prospect for an MMO, and introduces security concerns, but Kats has already highlighted a WoW roleplay profile mod above. The Secret World/Secret World Legends has some brilliant ones, including friend lists that you can add notes on, a /who type system that only shows people with the mod (letting roleplayers know who else is a roleplayer, and where they are. Not entirely applicable to Wurm, of course), a profile mod... Finding safe ways to outsource some modding functionality to the community could let us fill gaps on our own, if the desire and talent exists. Not that these sorts of things need to be mods, if the dev team decides something is worth the resources. They could all be welcome changes to help foster the growth of a roleplay community in Wurm.

Thanks for the lengthy discussion on the topic, Kats and Faerran. Stay awesome, and I'll need to buy you both pints once The Limping Troll opens its doors!

• Like 3

• Does it even exist? Do you think Wurm would benefit from more of it?

A little, some people try it. And yes Wurm would benefit from it if it wasn't too overboard. 

• Do you play Wurm IC = "in character"?

I am such a fantasy char IRL that I am always in character - I am playing myself - the difference are details - obviously I had to replace my IT background with something, roads fit pretty well in this role,  and IRL I don't have a religion. 

• How often do you see other people roleplaying? 

Not much. But some like Theshadowmaster are trying. 

• Would you like to try, but just never do because you don't see others roleplaying?

I don't like too much roleplaying, like all that weird speaking. But some moderate RP would be nice. 

• Do you think we've been seeing more RP after Steam launch and if so, why do you think that is?

No idea, hadn't notice any change. 

• What things do you think the dev team could do, to promote roleplay more in Wurm? More emotes? More animations? More outfits? 

More emotes - why not - let us at least use /me on public channels, more animations and outfits and customization option would be nice too. 

• Do you think we should have a section in the forums dedicated to roleplaying? So RP:ers could find each other, agree on events, RP hotspots etc?

Why not? The database is not going to be much bigger because of it. 

• Should we have an optional RP chat tab that could be turned on and off from profile settings? (much like the new international help channel)

No, there are too many already, not to mention annoying Non-English Help that keeps coming back every server restart. We shouldn't hide with RP in a Role Playing game...unless people will go too far with it. 

• Should we have an optional voice chat system that could be used for roleplay? 

No, some people don't like voice chats and especially they don't like to be bugged by their friends to get ones, like I am constantly bugged to get discord. 

• Should we have an optional [RP] tag in our names, to make it easier for roleplayers to recognize each other?

No, see the chat answer. 

• Should we have an optional panel, where we could write our backstories + other info for other roleplayers to read, similar to the RP addons you can get for WoW?

Yes, would be cool if it shown on examine output. 

• Like 2

Ah and there is one more major issue with RP in Wurm I forgot to mention - the game play, especially the journal - forces you to do everything. My journal isn't completed because meditation, a skill that nowhere fits to my character but I will have to train it (pretty high) and I will have to join the meditation path to complete. 

Now imagine a die hard road engineer that has their two feet on the ground, their neck burned by the sun, and their clothes and hair dusty from the road dust and dirt, kneeling on a carpet and chanting mantras. 😉 

Not to mention most of the journal sections are named in a highway theme but there is nothing about the roads or paving skill in general, which is wrong, because it could teach people more about them, like newbies how to use waystones, while there is A LOT of meditation, and you need to skill it up pretty high. Journal could be more personalized than just divided to crafter and priest. 

But well, I am at least trying to do it the proper way 😄 

7ALc1Fu.png

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 2

What wonderful responses everyone! Thank you so much for taking the time to give your ideas, thoughts and input to this thread! 

On 8/23/2020 at 12:52 AM, elminster710 said:

Being new to Wurm and starting off in a RP heavy sense I love all the ideas suggested!   The examples you have are implemented well in other MMO's and offer players a bit more immersion while allowing people who might not be as interested, the chance to avoid such encounters/players.  That being said FF-XIV had some great RP moments from emotes and facial expressions (and its a cute AF game).  Or with games like DayZ standalone/arma 3/gtav A lot of the situations where expressed better with emotes even though they didn't have many.  Again I love all the ideas and they would definitely help any RP community. 

Thanks for chiming in Elminster. I absolutely love what your village has going on, and I hope to see more of it in Wurm! I think the huge amount of attention and interest that your guy's "secret cult village" has generated so far, only goes to prove how utterly parched we've been for some RP in this game and shows the potential for more of it. It's no coincidence that you guys have everyone excited with what you're doing! 

On 8/23/2020 at 12:55 PM, Sirene said:

I liked the ability in WOW, to play in RP guilds, and even RP servers. Most of the time I had a character just for RP with a character story and everything.

Yes I agree! If I think back to all the years I played WoW and whether or not I would have played as many years of it without those roleplaying servers, I doubt I would have spent as much time there without them! Some of my most magical player interactions I've ever had in an MMO happened on those RP servers.

What I missed was the overhead speech we have now. Now that it's there, it makes sense to sit down and chat. Now we can see for example if someone is shouting something and where this person is sitting in a pub. We can put these cool beer mugs on the tables, get drunk together or ride a crocodile into the water. We can do it to enjoy the game mechanics, but we could also use all of that to create a gaming experience that creates memories.

Absolutely! The new overhead speech has been wonderful!

Sometimes RP can be too much after a long day at work or a stressful day, but other times it's exciting and fun, and creates a completely different gaming experience.

Same here. Even though I consider myself a roleplayer, I certainly have days where all I want to do is log on and play the game. Roleplaying requires emotional effort. And it's not every day we have the emotional reserves or strength to engage in it. 

On 8/24/2020 at 2:23 PM, Goodwin said:

Absolutely. That’s probably why I haven’t ever RPed in Wurm previously as I’m always aware that it’s not everyone’s cup of tea.

A dedicated chat tab and/or a RP tag would help address any concerns.

Goodwin I know I know how you feel. I have to wonder just how many else are out there who would love to do it sometimes, but feel nervous or wary to do so because they can't know who is and who isn't a roleplayer. It would be very cool if we had some way to show other players that we're up for some RP. 

On 8/26/2020 at 9:02 AM, Wilczan said:

I saw a houndreds of RP players in World of Warcraft, during my 10 years of playing it, even tho I have played on RPPVP servers, not pure RP ones.

I have never met single one RP player in Wurm during my 6 years of playing Wurm. But maybe couse I always played on PVP server.

Nice to hear that when you played on RP-PvP servers in WoW, that the PvPers there actually roleplayed as well! But yeah, I guess since we don't have dedicated RP servers in Wurm, it explains why there has been very little visible RP. I see people RP on the PvE servers once in a while though. If Wurm every became a larger game, maybe then at least one RP server might be an idea, but until then, obviously not.

On 8/27/2020 at 1:47 AM, LucyWrambles said:

I've responded in character to anyone wandering through or near my deed, and I've yet to have a negative reaction. Occasionally a bit of light roleplay springs up from the interaction, which is grand! Wurm looks like a perfect, immersive platform for roleplay, and I've been surprised by how little I've seen, but that doesn't mean it isn't out there. Wurm is vast.

Oh that's wonderful to hear! Just goes to show that it -is- out there, even if in small doses.

but I'm excited to visit places like The Limping Troll and The Kingdom, and any other RP hotspots that may pop up.

Which makes me wonder... if someone set up a deed and advertised it as a RP hotspot, I wonder how many would flock in for a good bit of roleplaying? Most likely, to avoid griefing, it would have to be a locked area and only set permissions for access through the front gate for whoever is actually there for the right reason. Almost makes me want to try something like this!

• Do you think we should have a section in the forums dedicated to roleplaying? So RP:ers could find each other, agree on events, RP hotspots etc? Yes! There seems to be a little used in-character forum, but a general out-of-character roleplay-focused subforum would be excellent for arranging events, or finding/cataloguing roleplayers or hotspots.

I agree wholeheartedly! I guess the only minus side to this, is whether it would also attract griefers to come and crash those parties. And does Wurm staff have the resources to deal with those situations...

A smaller, perhaps optional "Proximity" range could be pretty rad! I wouldn't feel like I was talking to all of my Local-range neighbours whenever I said hello to someone passing through my deed. 

That is such an excellent point. It does feel bad to "spam" others in the local range with RP chatter. It really would be nice to have a smaller proximity range textual chat.

I really like the IRC functionality that already exists in-game for pubs, theatres, festival tents... really, any small, noisy location that you wouldn't want to spam Local for eighty tiles all around. Hang a sign on the door that says "/join TheLimpingTroll IRC for proximity chat!", and keep the noise pollution down for neighbouring deeds.

Yes! It was such an excellent point that Faerran reminded us of in that stream! Using IRC to create a chat just for an event or for RP related situations was a great idea! Haven't seen it used that way. I think I will try this with the kingdom city once it gets finished.

The topic of clothing came up, and while generating new models is expensive, a vanity slot system could be a short term, small investment value add to help us look the way we want, not the way we need to based on the game reality of armour being necessary when out and about. More models and animations are great, of course, but if new cosmetic clothing options exist without changing the core reality of the mechanics, why wear them instead of armour, as Faerran noted? Weight-free vanity slots, as in LOTRO (I think?) are a great option. Maybe a wardrobe for clothing storage, either a built object in a house or shifting clothing into "hammer-space" so that outfits can be built, saved, and swapped easily as needed?

A great idea, that would be so awesome to give a little bit of flavor to our characters. 

On 8/27/2020 at 2:13 AM, Platyna said:

More emotes - why not - let us at least use /me on public channels, more animations and outfits and customization option would be nice too. 

Thanks for chiming in with your input Platyna!

As for /me, I do believe that works in the Wurm chat tabs. To be fair, only tried it in local and alliance. Not sure if it works in the global chats etc.

On 8/27/2020 at 2:03 PM, Platyna said:

Ah and there is one more major issue with RP in Wurm I forgot to mention - the game play, especially the journal - forces you to do everything. My journal isn't completed because meditation, a skill that nowhere fits to my character but I will have to train it (pretty high) and I will have to join the meditation path to complete. 

Now imagine a die hard road engineer that has their two feet on the ground, their neck burned by the sun, and their clothes and hair dusty from the road dust and dirt, kneeling on a carpet and chanting mantras. 😉 

Not to mention most of the journal sections are named in a highway theme but there is nothing about the roads or paving skill in general, which is wrong, because it could teach people more about them, like newbies how to use waystones, while there is A LOT of meditation, and you need to skill it up pretty high. Journal could be more personalized than just divided to crafter and priest. 

But well, I am at least trying to do it the proper way 😄 

7ALc1Fu.png

That's an excellent point! It would be cool if you could choose a certain path. Just like we have journals customized for a normal character versus a priest, have a few more that offer journal tasks more matched to the route you want to take in Wurm. I like it.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Malena said:

As for /me, I do believe that works in the Wurm chat tabs. To be fair, only tried it in local and alliance. Not sure if it works in the global chats etc.

It doesn't, this is what you get when you try to use /me e.g. on Freedom Chat: 

[12:28:14] You can not emote in that window.

Quite unusual thing in an RPG. 🙂 

In the journal there is a way too much of fishing, fighting and meditation. And meditation requirements are the most painful - I have to get to at least level 70 to complete the journal.

* Platyna throws the meditation rug in the ditch going along the highway and sits down on the stone slate slab wayside, touches a cold stone and contemplates the long shiny row of catseyes vanishing in the distance...she thinks to herself...damn I managed to escape violin lessons, but this is not going to be that easy...

VbPyKtU.png

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 1

I must get to view the stream as soon as possible.

I realise that this is a question for WO which I play everyday on either Pristine or Xanadu, however, I do also play WU everyday on a server that is advertised as 'light' RP. I hope that my experience will give a little more insight into the questions posed by Malena at the beginning of this thread.

Firstly, I do not find RP easy at all compared to others but I have found the following:

a) To view a 'real' role-playing group at action can be amazing to watch from the side-lines and often stimulates the 'viewer' to give it a go. There is a real sense of community within the group that often bonds them together through thick and thin. I do not suggest that some alliances are not similar in this.

b) Most RP will help anyone to get immersed into the situation. On my WU server we have regular events that most definitely are made more enjoyable by the light role-play aspect.

c) I have written the lore for our server and this is often useful to give new players a view to the server or an idea of why things happen as they do. I feel that it will be too much to expect RP to exist in WO except in pockets- such perhaps as in the Dwarven Alliance that exists on Xanadu (if I am incorrect about the nature of the Dwarven Alliance, then I apologise)

d) We have a 'rule' of RP in local but this is easy to ask on a private server. I am not sure if a RP tab in chat would be required as if a group were together they could use local or village chat or in a larger RP group, an alliance chat.

e) Having a greater variety of clothes would allow immersion in some ways, for example, we will have an event in which everyone will be asked to wear 'their finest cloth' or come in 'their strongest, toughest armour'.

f) I have not seen anyone doing RP in WO although I suspect that it does go on in some villages.

I could go on but will not apart from saying that FF brothers have briefly enjoyed a stay on our server and I hope that this has allowed them an insight into light RP that allows them to see the good bits as well as the not-so-easy bits! In my honest opinion, RP is not for everyone but it is like learning a new language. If you persevere you will become part of a community that can last for a long time. I would encourage anyone with any interest to simply give it a go and you may just be surprised at how RP can change your experience within the game of Wurm. 

Hope this helps!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, Spolmit said:

I must get to view the stream as soon as possible.

Thank you for your input Spolmit. You are of course talking about Mystic Highlands. I used to watch quite a bit of Valiance's streams back in the day. I really love what you guys have going on over there! 

As for the stream, you can see the export of it here: 

• Like 2

Wurm gives you the opportunity to play characters in the form of an RPG. It may not be easy, but it is possible. The creation of a RPG character is inherently associated with its limitations. The WURM mechanics do not encourage the creation of such characters. Most of the players we meet are lonely super heroes communicating with friends from a distance. Most calls were "got 50QL in raking" and the answer was "oh great." :) The introduction of a few cosmetic changes to the game mechanics would make it easier to create story characters without harming players who do not want to play story. An option has been added to Ultima Online to inform game masters and players that this is a story character. I created a fictional character and I try to consistently lead it. Since it has many limitations, I am sometimes forced to ask other players for help. I have the biggest reservations about the way we communicate, I have such an offer

1.the default chat channel should be "local"

2. The reach of the conversation should depend on the way of speaking |

a. whisper (1 space)

b. normal speech (3 spaces)

c. shout (20 spaces)

d. scream (40 spaces)

This arrangement would greatly facilitate conversations with a larger group of players without having to inform the whole city about the topic of the conversation :).

The second issue is the animals and other creatures appearing in the game. Their appearance should depend on their nature. The crocodiles that appear in the mountains look funny. Some creatures should appear in certain places. In order to be able to hunt a crocodile, the player should be able to consciously organize an expedition to hunt them. Of course, this also applies to other creatures.

Such a solution is by itself an incentive for the RP game and gives some nice possibilities.

Edited by Wersin
  • Like 1

I created a hunter character. I do not develop skills that do not match the character played. When I am in my act or come as a guest, I take off my weapons. I often use the option to describe what I do or what I look like. When I'm over the water I jump into it to take a bath. When talking about the level of my abilities, I choose words to preserve the atmosphere of the RP. I can see from my opservations that I like it and there are even characters that imitate me. When I go hunting I try to justify why it is important. RP adds this magical flavor to the game and allows you to feel the role and have more fun.
Examples that irritate me:
1. Cultivation of the field with full equipment.
2. Cutting trees with full armor.
3. "I already have level 33 skills.
4. and many, many more.
You don't need to use any other RP language, but it's important not to spill the news using a calculator.
Sanbox games give everyone the same chance of becoming a super hero ..... (sooner or later).
The difference is in what style we get there.
I think what I am going to write now may be of great use to those who think that cannot speak English may be a hindrance to playing WO. Unfortunately, I didn't learn English. I can read but I cannot speak and write correctly. Thanks to the creators of the game, we have the possibility to copy the statements of others. The Google translate Desktop program was created, which facilitates communication between players. We switch from the game to the translator with a single key. For me it is a great solution because it takes just a moment and the communication between players and me lasts literally a moment.

Edited by Wersin
  • Like 2