Sign in to follow this  
Darnok

A few ideas and suggestions from Melody player

Good thing is that lag on Melody is practically very low for me, but the quantity of players on this map is too large in proportion to its size.

The melody as a map is also well designed, the biomes are well placed and in sufficient size, so I have nothing to complain about map it self just on the population density being too high and a few mechanisms that seem underdeveloped to me.

In fact, I think it would be a better solution to create and start 2 or 3 Melody-sized maps in one day instead of one Cadence-sized map, but that is only my opinion.

Land occupation mechanics - deeds:

Guard towers, according to the wiki, have a 50-tile placement density limit, if I remember correctly. The deed should have a greater restriction, at least 100 tiles of spacing between perimeters. And the perimeters themselves should also be larger, why I'll explain later.

Maps should have a limited number of deeds that can be placed on them.

Another thing is to improve the organization of the village. I think the deed owner should tax everyone he invites to the village. The tax can be in game money or items (which have a predetermined value anyway). Any member of the community would drop money or items into the settlement-chest. Items and money from this chest can only be retrieved by the owner of the deed.

The payment would not only solve the organizational issues of many communities, but also guarantee the maintenance of structures (chests and buildings) created by a given resident on deed. If, for example, I have not paid tax for this week, my property will expire and the owner of the deed can demolish or take everything I have built there.
Upon removal from the village, the resident should no longer pay more taxes, but the time paid by him would still have to expire at the normal rate and during this time he could still use whatever structure he built.
If the deed owner is dishonest and would like to throw me out unexpectedly, paying the tax for a few days longer would guarantee me the opportunity to pack and move away.
However, the resident would have a limitation, he could not pay the tax for more than 7 days ahead, which would guarantee the rest of the community the possibility of quickly getting rid of his inactive colleague.

PvE brings with it a bit of a problem, someone may cut trees nearby and you can't do anything about it. Therefore, the deed perimeter should be larger much larger. Of course, other players should be able to cut trees or hunt there, but the villagers should be able to defend themselves and, for example, force a sparring with unwanted visitor. After losing the fight, the visitor would be sent to the respawn point and lose skills, but of less value than in the case of death.

You can also change the functioning of the guards and those from deed and towers.
In both cases, the guards should help only the player who lives in a given place, a stranger calling for help should be ignored.

Respawn of the guards should not be automatic, but they should be manually activated and the player should pay for such an action, e.g. with food. Towers should generally require food as an upkeep, and if there is not enough food, the guards will disappear.

Security and theft:

At the moment, a lot of the entertainment has been cut from PvE (I think I only have experience with Melody). In my opinion, the ability to steal and unlock locks should be acceptable in PvE, but with a certain restriction.
Each lock, both the default one and the new one created by the player made of metal that can be mined (iron, copper, tin, lead ...), should be openable. If someone needed 100% security, he would have to smelt an alloy lock, e.g. steel, bronze... these locks could not be destroyed or opened.

Mining:
Probably the most boring thing I've ever seen in this game.
Mining as such should be a skill group. Prospecting should be moved to this group.

The remaining sub-skills should be simply different minable metals, e.g. iron, lead, tin, copper, silver and gold, these should be separate skills.
In this way, you could increase the leveling speed of, for example, an iron miner, but the fact that he can efficiently mine a given metal does not mean that he will suddenly extract other metals as effectively.
The digging itself should also work in different way, the fact that I have low skill should reduce the chance of mining, not lower the ql of what I mine. For example, with iron mining at level 10, I should be able to mine 10 ore per 100 mining actions.

Pure veins of metals and various other materials should exist, but should be rare to find. In most cases it would be contaminated ore e.g. by the fact that there are too many different veins in one place.
So by mining the contaminated vein, we would have an ore that contains e.g. 50% iron, 20% lead, 10% silver and 20% rock.

Clay containers (metal smelters) could be used to smelt the desired type of metal from the ore. When creating a given smelter, it would be necessary to choose what type of metal it will hold after smelting is done, the rest of the ore mass will remain as waste in the container for disposal or further processing. The higher the ql of the clay metal smelter and character mining sub-skill of given type of metal, the higher the ql of the metal lump.

Appropriate chemicals should also be used to separate partially melted metal, in this example lead and silver, which would give the opportunity to expand the skill tree for alchemy. Without alchemy, the molten metals would be a useless waste and from a given contaminated ore we would only obtain the first kind of metal that we decided to smelt.

Prospecting should only detect the fact that there are metals underground, but not what kind of metal it is. At higher levels it can indicate whether the veins are pure or contaminated.

Tanner/leather working:

After removing the hide from the animal, they should be dried, and then they can be processed into leather.

There should be two types of leather, thin and thick, depending on what game you are hunting. This would give you a chance to add smaller animals that could only be hunted with ranged weapons (because when you get closer, the animal would run away) or with the help of traps, which right now don't have much use in PvE.

The thin one would be suitable for smaller and more delicate parts of the armor and items such as pouches, water skins etc. A thick type would be needed to create a leather jacket, pants and saddles.

Skills tree:
There is an unbalance in the weapon tree. Remove the hatchet from the axe tree and move it to the same group/section with the hammer OR move sickle and hammer to the skill groups counterpart. Sickle to swords sub-section and hammer to mauls.

Map:
I like the fact that there is no current indicator showing where the player is on the map. But if we have skills such as archeology, why not have a mapping skill that would allow you to build simple marks (1 small nail, plank, shaft) that would already be visible on the map. The number of such characters, however, would be limited by this skill. Once built, a mark cannot be removed by the player for 24-48 hours. After a while, the signs, like anything else, would be destroyed.

Anyone who finds our mark can add it to their map. This way, villages could tag themselves in the game map without the need to create community maps.
At higher levels, this skill could allow you to draw a map on paper and, for example, send it to someone you want to bring to the village.

Edited by Darnok

1 minute ago, Darnok said:

Another thing is to improve the organization of the village. I think the deed owner should tax everyone he invites to the village. The tax can be in game money or items (which have a predetermined value anyway). Any member of the community would drop money or items into the settlement-chest. Items and money from this chest can only be retrieved by the owner of the deed.

holy hell i can be a landlord in pve yes please

2 hours ago, Darnok said:

Mining:

The remaining sub-skills should be simply different minable metals, e.g. iron, lead, tin, copper, silver and gold, these should be separate skills.

So you think mining is the most boring, yet you want it to make even more boring..

Logic

• Like 3

The payment would not only solve the organizational issues of many communities, but also guarantee the maintenance of structures (chests and buildings) created by a given resident on deed. If, for example, I have not paid tax for this week, my property will expire and the owner of the deed can demolish or take everything I have built there.

what the hell does taxing players have to do with organization......your a villager owner you have full control and rights over your village it is up to you to keep it organized....this feature will never be added and im 100% against the crap reasoning here...also real communities work together to do the upkeep or progress the deed. setup a system yourself as a village owner, if people want to be apart of it they will join, plenty of villages charge rent, some dont. most villages give plot spacing for villagers to keep things organized.

Security and theft:

At the moment, a lot of the entertainment has been cut from PvE (I think I only have experience with Melody). In my opinion, the ability to steal and unlock locks should be acceptable in PvE, but with a certain restriction.
Each lock, both the default one and the new one created by the player made of metal that can be mined (iron, copper, tin, lead ...), should be openable. If someone needed 100% security, he would have to smelt an alloy lock, e.g. steel, bronze... these locks could not be destroyed or opened.

seriously just move to pvp if you want to steal stuff, the reason players play on pve is because it is safe no risk to lose they things they pay and work hard for. stealing things is a pvp function for any game and hence is on the pvp server. you trying to get rid of the pve player base who just wants to build normally.

PvE brings with it a bit of a problem, someone may cut trees nearby and you can't do anything about it. Therefore, the deed perimeter should be larger much larger. Of course, other players should be able to cut trees or hunt there, but the villagers should be able to defend themselves and, for example, force a sparring with unwanted visitor. After losing the fight, the visitor would be sent to the respawn point and lose skills, but of less value than in the case of death.

again it is pve, and you can expand your perimeter in the settings yourself. if you want space for trees then claim more land to have a tree farm....you need to play pvp with the mine set your trying to bring, also none of your other ideas are even appealing either.

• Like 1

I don't think I have ever seen a post with so many points I disagreed with. -1

• Like 5

If you want 100 tiles between your deed and someone else's, there is nothing stopping you from paying for 100 tiles of perimeter. People are allowed to cut trees in your perimeter as perimeter is only a buffer between deeds. If you don't want people cutting trees in "your" forest, deed it.

Deed guards attack everything on your deed. Guard Towers are meant for general protection and aren't "owned". They are built for the better good. 

If you want to tax your villagers, feel free. Just say "Hey, pay me x per month or you're getting booted and I'm bashing your house"

Back to "We should be able to do PvP on PvE servers". If you want to pick locks and steal stuff, go to PvP where you can pick locks and steal stuff. By your reasoning, I would also like settlement tokens on PvE servers to be either stone or electrum. If they're stone, I can "bash" it and steal all of your upkeep. If you want your upkeep safe, go out and make electrum.

• Like 5

If you want 100 tiles between your deed and other deeds just play on the pvp servers

21 hours ago, Darnok said:

Mining:
Mining as such should be a skill group. Prospecting should be moved to this group.

In this way, you could increase the leveling speed of, for example, an iron miner, but the fact that he can efficiently mine a given metal does not mean that he will suddenly extract other metals as effectively.
The digging itself should also work in different way, the fact that I have low skill should reduce the chance of mining, not lower the ql of what I mine. For example, with iron mining at level 10, I should be able to mine 10 ore per 100 mining actions.

Pure veins of metals and various other materials should exist, but should be rare to find. In most cases it would be contaminated ore e.g. by the fact that there are too many different veins in one place.
So by mining the contaminated vein, we would have an ore that contains e.g. 50% iron, 20% lead, 10% silver and 20% rock.

Clay containers (metal smelters) could be used to smelt the desired type of metal from the ore. When creating a given smelter, it would be necessary to choose what type of metal it will hold after smelting is done, the rest of the ore mass will remain as waste in the container for disposal or further processing. The higher the ql of the clay metal smelter and character mining sub-skill of given type of metal, the higher the ql of the metal lump.

Appropriate chemicals should also be used to separate partially melted metal, in this example lead and silver, which would give the opportunity to expand the skill tree for alchemy. Without alchemy, the molten metals would be a useless waste and from a given contaminated ore we would only obtain the first kind of metal that we decided to smelt.

Prospecting should only detect the fact that there are metals underground, but not what kind of metal it is. At higher levels it can indicate whether the veins are pure or contaminated.

QzJ7qwo.png

• Like 1

So you find mining to be boring but want to increase the amount you need to spend to mine and the grind even further?

Security and theft:

At the moment, a lot of the entertainment has been cut from PvE (I think I only have experience with Melody). In my opinion, the ability to steal and unlock locks should be acceptable in PvE

I want to be able to steal but I don't want players to have the ability to retaliate

Edited by Sovos

On 8/21/2020 at 6:54 PM, Skatyna said:

So you think mining is the most boring, yet you want it to make even more boring..

Logic

It's boring because leveling up is "steep" and I think it should be "wide". Steep means that you have to repeat the same action many times and with each higher skill point it takes more time, and in my opinion leveling up for mining sub-skill "iron" alone should be faster. But if you want to mine a different type of metal from pure vein, you start from scratch, but also advance faster. Mining the contaminated vein of course would increase the skill for the types of metal that the vein contains, not only single skill, but skill gain would be slower than mining pure veins.

In addition, the method of smelting ore and the division into several metals that can be obtained from one ore fragment adds new tasks that must be performed to obtain more types of metal. Upgrading to a higher skill level may be faster, but the difficulty will be broken down into different activities, this should make the game more attractive to normal people, because mining is a bot game right now.

On 8/21/2020 at 7:16 PM, eldarian said:

what the hell does taxing players have to do with organization......your a villager owner you have full control and rights over your village it is up to you to keep it organized....this feature will never be added and im 100% against the crap reasoning here...also real communities work together to do the upkeep or progress the deed. setup a system yourself as a village owner, if people want to be apart of it they will join, plenty of villages charge rent, some dont. most villages give plot spacing for villagers to keep things organized.

So you don't have to use it, but there are many who would like such a mechanism.

seriously just move to pvp if you want to steal stuff, the reason players play on pve is because it is safe no risk to lose they things they pay and work hard for. stealing things is a pvp function for any game and hence is on the pvp server. you trying to get rid of the pve player base who just wants to build normally.

Theft means you can pick up the items scattered on the deed or take them out of the chests. There would still be no way to destroy the walls, so you could be 100% safe.

again it is pve, and you can expand your perimeter in the settings yourself. if you want space for trees then claim more land to have a tree farm....you need to play pvp with the mine set your trying to bring, also none of your other ideas are even appealing either.

Deed costs over 4s and if you can't buy a lot of pixels for it and defend resources you paid for, the price is too high.

Edited by Darnok

On 8/22/2020 at 8:12 PM, Sovos said:

I would also be exposed.

On 8/21/2020 at 9:01 PM, zethreal said:

Back to "We should be able to do PvP on PvE servers". If you want to pick locks and steal stuff, go to PvP where you can pick locks and steal stuff. By your reasoning, I would also like settlement tokens on PvE servers to be either stone or electrum. If they're stone, I can "bash" it and steal all of your upkeep. If you want your upkeep safe, go out and make electrum.

If you can't see the difference between my idea and destroying someone's deed, then there is something wrong with you.

If you want 100 tiles between your deed and someone else's, there is nothing stopping you from paying for 100 tiles of perimeter. People are allowed to cut trees in your perimeter as perimeter is only a buffer between deeds. If you don't want people cutting trees in "your" forest, deed it.

The problem is the price. How much wood is needed to build a 2x2 house and how many trees will fit on a basic deed?

Deed guards attack everything on your deed. Guard Towers are meant for general protection and aren't "owned". They are built for the better good. 

...Back to "We should be able to do PvP on PvE servers". If you want to pick locks and steal stuff, go to PvP...

Maybe in PvP towers are useful in other ways, but PvE is basically a handicapped PvP cousin, not a fully polished gameplay mode.

Guards should have an upkeep in the form of food, for example, the better the type of food, the longer it will last.
Either there should be a mechanism whereby the guards only defend the tower owner and the members of the deed the tower is standing on, or the guards should disappear the moment the tower builder logs out. In PvE, these towers and deed spirits are exploited.

Look at religions, in PvE Libala has no advantage of not having a negative alignment effect on theft. Another element of normal gameplay, which in PvE was simply cut with a blunt tool.

Edited by Darnok

I just got an idea how to solve the issues of theft and defense of resources from the perimeter.

The deed owner decides whether he wants to defend his resources or not. If he selects the option that he is going to stand and defend his property, he can attack anyone who enters his perimeter or deed and as long as the fight lasts, he can chase such a character and knock him to the ground, even far away from his deed.

The side effect is that his deed can be robbed while he is online (but no building can destroyed).

No to any form of pvp or stealing on PvE. -1

-1000, none of your ideas are even worth bothering with looking at....the current game mechanics work just fine and based off the response so far i would say that the reasoning that alot of players want what your suggesting is wrong...

you should just learn to play properly and protect your stuff witht he current mechanics like everyone else does, also they already have a kos feature that allows you to kos people on your deed, basicly forcing ur templars and the tower guards on deed to attack said players you have kos'ed....use the reputation system like it is suppose to be used. Also said reputation would also allow you to attack said players yourself.

stop trying to change mechanics that work just fine there are a million other things that are more important.

45 minutes ago, eldarian said:

-1000, none of your ideas are even worth bothering with looking at....the current game mechanics work just fine and based off the response so far i would say that the reasoning that alot of players want what your suggesting is wrong...

you should just learn to play properly and protect your stuff witht he current mechanics like everyone else does, also they already have a kos feature that allows you to kos people on your deed, basicly forcing ur templars and the tower guards on deed to attack said players you have kos'ed....use the reputation system like it is suppose to be used. Also said reputation would also allow you to attack said players yourself.

stop trying to change mechanics that work just fine there are a million other things that are more important.

On PvE server?

The lack of balance in the skill tree swords, axes, mauls is also not worth attention?

Edited by Darnok