Sign in to follow this  
Postes

Defiance - PvP

This isn't for a specific village or kingdom recruitment. This is for encouraging new and older players to come try PvP and the Defiance server. Defiance is the newest PvP server in the Northern islands cluster connected to Harmony/Melody. If you are on Harmony or Melody you can portal over with your character, select a kingdom, join a whole different village here, and portal back whenever you want! It's common that people often play on both Defiance + Harmony/Melody, and portal back and forth. 

Defiance is in a great state. It's in my opinion one of the most balanced PvP servers in terms of game features, and all three kingdoms are actively PvPing, and have both new and old players. Whatever kingdom you choose, you will likely find villages recruiting, and get into the PvP quickly. If you have any questions about PvP, Defiance, or specific kingdoms feel free to ask here. If unsure what kingdom to join, it could be a good idea to post a reply here, express your interest, and time-zone so you find a group playing during your hours. Hope to see some new faces in local soon!

I've been creating some Youtube videos recently to help introduce players into PvP and answer some popular questions:

Check out some of the big fights here:

Edited by Postes
  • Like 22

Instead of heading to Cadence, come to Defiance :)

All three kingdoms are welcoming new and old players alike. As tough and gruff as some vet players may seem, we all know the more players we have that understand the game, the more fun we all have in the end.

Dive into Defiance! You'll find active villages to join with people who play way too much enough that you'll never have to be alone in game. And there is more wilderness on Defiance because of the actual risk of setting out on your own.

Also, dying in PvP is actually less painful than PvE, as you only lose a teeny bit of fight skill instead of all sorts of hard earned crafting skills. ;) 

See you there!

• Like 1

Bump! Still a lot of PvPing ongoing between all 3 kingdoms, winning and losing.

• Like 1

bumpity bump, its time to join up. come to pvp and join the cool kid club. 

be sure to buy plenty of affinities before you go to Defiance.  this can be done by going to the in-game store and buying premium, lots and lots of uncut, excuse me a sec...

*sniiiiiiiiiff* premium columbian affinity. 

sure you can train every relevant skill to 99 but 7 guys against one always wins.  strangely enough this is why the world is the way it is, but more on that later.

as they say in Ice Hockey "Bring in the Ringer..." 

Cui Bono?

no, there is not going to be a free U2 concert.  so why pvp?  you die you lose affinities, simple.  this is called affinity farming and it works exactly like a pyramid scheme.  strangely enough this is why the world is the way it is, but more on that later.

more people joining, more people dying, more affinities.  each kingdom has a king.  this king has special added stats, weapon and cloth armor that heals him/her.  basically impossible to kill the bloke.

3 king, kingettes or Alien Species called the "Gorn" in 3 kingdoms getting stronger and stronger with every passing day.  every passing zerg kill concentrating amazing affinities to the same group of individuals that have "fun". 

Cui Bono? you need to ask yourself that age-old question that is actually so damn old it is actually in Latin and Latin is even older than white anglo saxon 50k denomination space jebus!  

this sort of behaviour is not bounded to just wurm.  this idea of fleecing people goes back to the times when people fleeced sheep and then moved on to fleecing people, I think it is called mercantilism. 

oh funny story, do you remember hearing about Cosimo de' Medici in middle school history class?  he was a merchant that ended up being more important than a king and/or pope but with no responsibilities to the people than both of those dudes... in the 1300s.  i mean his descendant Cosimo II de' Medici, 400 years later had the four moons of Jupiter galileo had discovered up to then with the only telescope in existence to see them that he invented specifically to washeth the balls of a medici...were named Medicean Stars in reference to Cosimo and his three brothers and told Cosimo quickly afterwards "wheres my grant" and the rest is history...  and this is just one example!! just because you don't hear about cosmic err cosimic descendants anymore it does not mean they went away neatly and don't actually influence the world stage at this very moment at all. XD

now go out there and BE somebody!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Like 1

How long do you guys think it will take to be able to competitively participate in PvP? Learning the mechanics, grinding up the skills and getting decent gear, so on.

I have some friends that I think would like Wurm Online but they have seen it more as a crafting game, and they hate crafting. If I can convince them to play, will they be able to avoid crafting?

What kind of battles are out there? Small skirmishes? Large scale 50 vs 50?

What is the population on the PvP server like? 

How easy is it to find fights?

There are PvP portals. Will my skills and items transfer over back and forth? If I'm a citizen of a village on Harmony, will i be able to still be part of a faction/village on Defiance as well?

I like the idea of playing an Archer in PvP, is this viable? If not, what are some skills that I should look into other wise?

Thank you in advance and I hope you have a great day.

3 hours ago, Catsboogogin said:

How long do you guys think it will take to be able to competitively participate in PvP? Learning the mechanics, grinding up the skills and getting decent gear, so on.

as long as you don't play alone, not long. Kingdoms gear you up for participating, the mechanics are hard to learn - but for the most part you can do what 99% of other players do and just play follow the leader.
it will take a day to grind to ride a horse/45 archery, and getting your FS to 70 basically depends on determination. You can do it within a week and be nearly on par with the average player. Not too many players have shield skill at the moment, either.

I have some friends that I think would like Wurm Online but they have seen it more as a crafting game, and they hate crafting. If I can convince them to play, will they be able to avoid crafting?

Yeah, for PvP that fits pretty well, since priests, players with crafting restrictions are a lot stronger in PvP. However, outside of PvP & crafting, there's not a whole lot to do in this game. Challenging PvE, stuff to spend time on that's fun. If they don't like the grind, it's unlikely they're going to have fun with any aspect of the game, including PvP, since it does take effort to get to effective levels.

What kind of battles are out there? Small skirmishes? Large scale 50 vs 50?

Small scale PvP is essentially dead / on the back burner. There's the odd small group, and small groups can absolutely be effective patrolling the coasts and stuff - but the game isn't tailored around a 5 man independent group. You're also not going to get fair fights. If people see 5 dudes appear at their deed, they're going to respond with n+2 or whatever. Don't expect to effectively PvP on your own, but there's opportunities. The big fights are about 25v25's (bl v jk) give or take. There's vets roaming around in ~5 man groups about every other day or so getting kills on new players in Mol Rehan lands.

What is the population on the PvP server like? 

Pop is ok but going down, will easily be a 'good' pvp pop for the next year minimum. Kingdom balance will decide if it's worth playing though, not the population. Right now the kingdom balance is as good as you can really expect from Wurm. 3 kingdoms, even the weakest able to kinda try to do stuff sometimes. BL is a good about 30-40% bigger on average than either MR or JK using simple math.

How easy is it to find fights?

Depends on what kingdom you're in.
In HotS, you could probably expect to be able to participate in daily PvP
in JK, at least every other day to go looking for stuff
MR, almost daily on the defensive but rarely aggressively looking. Mol Rehan consists of newer players who are less experienced in the game, generally speaking.

There are PvP portals. Will my skills and items transfer over back and forth? If I'm a citizen of a village on Harmony, will i be able to still be part of a faction/village on Defiance as well?

All skills but FS and faith transfer. Items do not transfer, you have two different inventories and when you take the portal it's as if you logged off.

I like the idea of playing an Archer in PvP, is this viable? If not, what are some skills that I should look into other wise?

Archer isn't really viable as a main-damage thing. In this game, anyone can do everything, so everyone at "endgame" should be able to do everything.
Archery is like a side thing. You can absolutely kill people with archery, and it's your best tool on a boat if you're not a priest, but generally in like land fights, another guy going in there and weaving in and out dishing out swings with a spear is going to be (at this point in the game ) 10x as effective as the guy with the bow hitting horses for 5's and 10's

Thank you in advance and I hope you have a great day.

take my comment with bias
i am jenn kellon

Here's a couple of recent bigger fights, if you wanted to check them out and get an idea.

• Like 1

Come have fun with us!

We have such a huge mix of veteran and completely new players. Everyone is out doing some sort of PvP nearly everyday. Right now we could use more people in MR since we are the smallest kingdom and we have plenty of space for new settlements!

Hi I’m a new player rediscovering wurm online. I used to play back in 2010, but I’ve forgotten pretty much everything. I’ve joined MR and would gladly join any settlements. Thanks 

• Like 1

Hey dude, feel free to PM me or msg me in game. Leeloodallas I'm MR as well and we can find you a good city to settle in.

All three kingdoms fighting today, and all three had fun!

• Like 3

Bump.

Added a new video now that Defiance is getting close to two months old. An update on skills and what I carry around in PvP. I think it's really important to stress that you don't have to grind your skills to insane levels to participate and get involved in PvP. 

Edited by Postes
  • Like 2

Bump for all the kingdoms. PvP is always happening. Don't need to know much. Just get with a good group in said kingdom and they'll show you the ropes!

Bump, for all kingdoms and all villages. The game play can be a lot of fun especially with the changes that have been made and the most comradery you will see happens mostly on pvp servers. 

• Like 1

Returning freedom player new to PVP here, anyone know of any groups recruiting in JK? Character name is Cuth. Thanks.

EDIT: Never mind I've decided to stick around in freedom for a while longer. Thanks.

Edited by Cuthulhu

1 hour ago, Cuthulhu said:

Returning freedom player new to PVP here, anyone know of any groups recruiting in JK? Character name is Cuth. Thanks.

@Carmichael

Wurm is  a great sandbox Online RPG, but I never get why people would want to do PVP in wurm.. its horrible dice rolling and like watching paint dry when 2 players face each other.

Bump for MR and BL mainly, JK is also selectively looking for another couple of fresh bloods.

It's been a while, but JK is recruiting for some new fresh blood! Everyone is welcome to come join Jenn-Kellon! Send me a message if you're interested to learn the ropes of PvP. 

• Like 2