Sign in to follow this  
Sovos

Trash Heaps Are Trash

If you have piles of junk, your main option to get rid of it (Outside of burning if they're flammable or shoving them in an altar and disgracing your god with them) is tossing it all in a trash heap. Problem is, the trash heap has two hangups that compound onto one another to make them much less useful than they could be:

1. Trash heaps take too long to dispose of their contents. It's about two hours per the wiki, though I don't know if this is entirely accurate as I've had items that seem to really enjoy it in there and stay even longer somehow. If I put it in the trash heap, I'm committing to wanting it gone.
  2. Trash heaps are too small. Despite their model being large enough to fit two bulk storage bins stacked on top of one another, they're limited to 100 items. Great for the occasional item, not so much for bulk.

Ok shut up you convinced me that trash heaps aren't so great, tell me what you're suggesting so I can go read a different thread.

There's a few things that could be done, mostly because this is only an issue due to both of the above traits intermingling with each other. Some suggestions:

Make it faster. Instead of 2 hours, why not make it something shorter? Something like 30 minutes would be a noticeable improvement. You could even add an "Empty Trash" command that could be used when it is full in order to immediately empty it out.

or

Make it bigger. Quintuple the size, then the two hour timer doesn't matter as much. Could even make it work off volume if you wanted, since 100 pieces of fish taking up the same space as 100 logs is a bit odd.

bonus round spitball suggestions

Make alternative trash solutions. Not keen on players being able to do that with a default trash heap? Make a larger one that unlocks at higher carpentry that has one of the benefits above. Want to diversify it even further? Make a compost heap that turns wood/stone items into piles of dirt/sand after X amount of time has passed.

Definitely think making them bigger would help, similar to a BSB even, or just having unlimited space/storage. Need more than the current 100 item limit that is in there coupled with the 2hrs that it takes before they go poof.

Or just introduce an incinerator that can get rid of everything no matter the size!

Then you can get rid of the enemies of your bodies without any questions that come with it! "When did you see them last?" "So and so said they saw you with them!"

Maybe don't have a "speed" at all.  Simply apply a FIFO to it with the 100 item cap.  At any given time, it will have only the latest 100 items in it.

Okay, maybe combine that with the decay speed.  

Volume instead of number is a good option, too.  

• Like 1

Let us make bonfires to destroy stuff? Like coalpiles, but more fun. 

• Like 1

admittedly I lived with trash heaps' behaviour so far. For insta poof I have altars and forges if flammable. I rather have an issue with siege shields which you can neiter burn nor trash nor sac. Ok lava solves it all

- on making it faster 

+ on making it bigger (as in more storage, the model is alrdy big enough :P)

Maybe we can make it like a larg storage unit with multiple fields and one bsb like filde were it decays 5% (minimum 1 item/itemtype) every 10 min or so. Would increes the storage a lot and help to remove bulk items of low QL you maybe want to get ride of in a fast manner.

Just making it bigger would be a help. Not sure where I stand on the speed. I like the option of having the time to retrieve something I may have discarded accidentally.