Sign in to follow this  
atazs

Fix unique trapping in caves

Apparently if you lead a unique into a cave, then shaker orb the entrance, and cover it with dirt, you can still trap uniques... 

Someone has already trapped the white hatching that way, and are planning to deed over another...

This should be fixed. 

Uniques should, never, under any circumstances be allowed to enter into caves, or they should respawn after being underground for too long 

Edited by atazs
  • Like 6

Agreed, reading this extract from the Unique Etiquette guide it sounds like the unique must always be able to escape.

"The first course of action is to attempt to contain the creature so that it will go un-bothered until such time as you have fattened it up for slaughter. This is by no means the best option as any unique creature can escape any confinement you build at any time of its own choosing."

• Like 1

+1

Uniques should roam the map, not stay in their spawn. Especially dragons, meant to be smart creatures

• Like 1

Just now, Chez said:

Agreed, reading this extract from the Unique Etiquette guide it sounds like the unique must always be able to escape.

"The first course of action is to attempt to contain the creature so that it will go un-bothered until such time as you have fattened it up for slaughter. This is by no means the best option as any unique creature can escape any confinement you build at any time of its own choosing."

So basically even more of a reason to have this looked at, because they cannot escape this type of confinement that i described. 

Clearly not "any confinement"

• Like 1

Unique's have always been allowed to be trapped in caves. They will destroy cave walls and dirt as well. They can escape a cave. Deeding a Unique and capturing it will save you alot of headache if your playing in a area. It's also going to be much easier to do community killings with all the new players.

The deeding portion is to protect the cave tiles from players it does not protect them from the Unique from destroying them. It just "slows them down by adding dirt over the rock surface.

Edited by BattleWall

Just now, BattleWall said:

Unique's have always been allowed to be trapped in caves. They will destroy cave walls and dirt as well. They can escape a cave. Deeding a Unique and capturing it will save you alot of headache if your playing in a area. It's also going to be much easier to do community killings with all the new players.

The deeding portion is to protect the cave tiles from players it does not protect them from the Unique from destroying them. It just "slows them down by adding dirt over the rock surface.

So are you saying that they can basically open a tunnel to the surface from the inside of a mine, punching trough the dirt layer in the process? 

I find that highly unlikely 

They actually can over time. Sometimes faster than others if they get really agitated.

4 minutes ago, atazs said:

So are you saying that they can basically open a tunnel to the surface from the inside of a mine, punching trough the dirt layer in the process? 

I find that highly unlikely 

When we last penned one, it punched the rock tile we tossed dirt over (not breaking through) and we had to tunnel another way in.
I've never seen a unique escape the dirt layer.

If it's intended that they escape, just have them teleport above the dirt layer after a certain amount of time.

27 minutes ago, BattleWall said:

Not really, as there are uniques trapped for like six years or more. 

5 minutes ago, Platyna said:

Not really, as there are uniques trapped for like six years or more. 

This is because they don’t starve to death. But they also don’t grow if they don’t have anything to eat.

1 hour ago, BattleWall said:

You just made this up on the spot, didn't you? Even a GM can't tunnel out if there is dirt on surface of that tile.

• Like 1

uniques follow all the same mining warnings players do, all you need to do is surround a cave with a zigzag cave so every direction is a sideshaft that they can't mine and its penned forever. surface mining around the cave down to water and dropping dirt over it all does the same, this is how charcoals currently penned forever on xan. uniques won't break through dirt, that would be a bug if its happening.

unique penning was considered an exploit but they left it in because it makes organizing public slayings easier after like a decade of trying to stop penning forever, take that as you will. probs shouldn't have been spawning uniques this early if nobody can kill them lol

• Like 2

I wonder if the GMs would finally step in if every single unique was simply penned up like that and left to rot... 

Now you are saying that there are uniques that have been penned up for years...

This is ###### dumb.

Edited by atazs
  • Like 2

For servers with a only a few dozen players on at any one time, it doesn't seem much of a big deal to me, having uniques penned for longer periods. But on a highly active server, and particularly a new one full of new players eager to see all the game has to offer, it seems a little ridiculous to allow players to pen uniques underground indefinitely in a dirted cave. 

In the etiquette guidelines, it is recommended that uniques be killed, but there is no specification of timeline required, or maximum time that a unique can be penned. This is to the detriment of the server, and the game as a whole, as it means a group is free to reduce the count of uniques available to spawn and slay by however many they manage to cave-trap, so long as they manage to keep it trapped in their cave. 

Are uniques really supposed to be a privately contained and held resource like this? Let me be absolutely clear, I'm not saying uniques should be publicly slain, that people shouldn't be able to privately kill them, or even that they shouldn't be able to be penned for say, a few days just to give lots of people the opportunity to be present. What I am taking issue with is the ability for players to indefinitely trap a unique in caves where, for all intents and purposes, the unique simply cannot escape, to be wild and claimed by another group. 

Uniques not being able to enter caves under any circumstances seems a bit problematic to me, since then uniques could be slain next to a mine entrance, and if anyone needs to heal, they can simply shift sideways half a meter and be in the complete safety of the cave, or other potential exploits that would make slaying uniques far too trivial. If possible, I think a far more preferable solution would be to have uniques either simply pop out of a cave onto the surface if they have been in one for more than a few hours, or more preferably, have the unique simply respawn somewhere else on the map entirely.  

• Like 1