Sign in to follow this  
Bloodreina

Share the love (one way transfer from NFI to SFI)

7 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Butthurt?

No, just poking a little fun.  Though, perhaps now you see how it comes off when you offer such rebuttals.

That and saying you've no evidence at all to that supposition; not even the slight promise an academic background would allow.

If you would uphold a standard one would expect you to maintain it.  If you find such interjections distasteful and personal, then perhaps consider avoiding them yourself.

1 hour ago, Bloodreina said:

I haven't commented anything since my original post, but now, that a lot of things were said, I'd like too add a few things.

1) I always thought that, as long this doesn't adversely affect someone, is good for people to have options, and that's exactly what my idea was - an option. It may suit some, it may not suit others, and that's perfectly fine - those who will like it could take advantage of it and those who don't like it can simply ignore it.

2) Some people may argue that we already had this option on the tutorial portal, but i heavily disagree with this - the information provided at that point was minimal and definitely not enough to allow someone to make an informed decision. Considering that the huge afflux of people was a surprise even for decks (hence the apparition of the second and now third server), it's very logical that it was a similar surprise for players too; at least I know that it was for me. So giving them a second chance too change their mind could only help. And please don't say "just reroll another character"... some people really care for their username and some players (especially new players) may not afford or be willing to spend money for a second premium account on the other cluster.

3) Even after careful consideration I can't see who would suffer from this... players would have a choice, old servers would benefit from the fresh blood and the new servers would get a bit of breath... so it really sounds like a win-win situation for everyone.

4) Don't forget that different people have different preferences and whatever feels right for you may feel wrong for someone else and viceversa. Some people like to live in a village, while some other people like to have their own deed. Some want it small, others want it large. Similarly, why not admit that some people may want an active, crowded server that feels "alive", while others may want a quiet server where they don't need to invest 100 silvers in a deed to avoid having neighbors in local. Giving them all option can only help.

Having different views and ideas is what makes the world and wurm a wonderful place.

you make a good point about a person who likes the name or has spent silver, so this person decides ohh lets try this option of the portal its maybe fun, heads to the southern lands to find he cant compete, its dead and gets lonely, so this person who has spent silver and loves his name decides he has made a mistake, how does he get back? Thats right he cant.

You may think this isn't likely to happen but I know of 3 different people who jumped the portal to melody and decided they didn't like the smaller server and wanted to go back, luckily for them they could just build a boat or hire a taxi, so no real harm done, not so with the one way portal to the other lands.

But what about the new player who choose the southern lands and feel they made a mistake, shouldn't they get the chance to fix there mistake, you cant just give a option to one set of new players and not the others, its just a big nasty can of worms that really doesn't need to be opened.

I would like the portal to explain better the difference between the lands that i agree with, but there is no need to have any links between the clusters atm and feel it would cause more problems than its worth as players can choose already and can if so wish test both lands before deciding where to live by creating free accounts.

A new server is going to solve a lot of the current problems of lack of deed space if its a good or bad idea long term, who knows, Devs have the numbers and it seems its needed.

Also anyone on the south lands can play the new servers also, just have to reroll and tons of people have and are having a blast, i would encourage more to come from those lands and enjoy in the fun :)

Edited by Badvoc

7 hours ago, Sovos said:

Newer players want servers that are in no way linked with the old ones

Docs or it didn't happen.  It is equally true to say that newer players want the servers linked as soon as possible, or that older players want the servers forever separate, or that older players want the two connected pdq.  It would be quite possible to find at least 2 players that justify all four of those statements, which means that, although true, separately or together they signify nothing.

This suggestion and others like it are merely proposing a facility for those who are not enjoying their current experience of Wurm to find an experience they do enjoy.  Consider what difference this would make to these "newer players" you invoke.  None at all.  Those who are happy to stay stay, those who would leave leave - it makes not difference at all to the experience of those who are staying whether those who leave never log in again or take up playing on a different non-connected server cluster.  

The suggestion is a no-lose suggestion.  

Edited by TheTrickster
typos
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Badvoc said:

about a person who likes the name or has spent silver, so this person decides ohh lets try this option of the portal its maybe fun, heads to the southern lands to find he cant compete, its dead and gets lonely, so this person who has spent silver and loves his name decides he has made a mistake, how does he get back?

So many points to miss with one shot.  😉

This is not really being proposed as just a "try this is it may be fun" kind of thing that players have a whack at on a whim.  

What in the wurld does "compete" mean on a Wurm PvE server?  The whole point of "sandbox" is that it is many things to many people, and many do seem to eschew the notion of it being a competition.

"Dead" is simply not true.  Maybe if one is on Xan or Ind there may not be others in local all the time, but I play on Rel and just within my own village have seen several on at the same time, from a "roster" of a bit over a dozen, I guess.  This is all within roughly 50-100 tiles of each other, so interaction is as much or as little as one wants (three of us were timbergetting within cooee of each other just a couple of days ago).  Quieter than than the North, absolutely,  Dead, not by a long shot.  Hermits happen all the time, too, so being able to see a little activity in chats is probably sufficient for those who tend towards solitude.  I like the quiet life, not quite a complete recluse but like to take or leave the crowds.  I bugged out of Har for Mel ASAP for a little breathing room, but the tooncloud turned out thick there, too.  I logged in to Mel for about 5 minutes a week or two ago and still found myself in the middle of tent town.  It isn't for everyone.

A one-way portal from the North to the South is a good idea IMO. It needs to say ONE WAY in capital letters or bold or both! In the first phrase, too.

Even better, it would be nice to work like the epic portal works, to alleviate the concern that "you" can't say oops and go back. It's probably not only better, but necessary. Skills transfer only the first time from North to South.

It's not supposed to address all the different scenarios that new players experience. It is okay because it addresses a pretty common one. It may be difficult for old timers to understand why you can't "just" create a new toon, but for newer players the time you spent, not to mention silver or prem, matters. Sunken cost it is.

Edited by Anarres

I've read over all of the comments in response to the OP, and I honestly cannot see any real negatives to allowing new accounts a one way transfer to the southern isles.

If a player on the northern isles is unhappy and interested in looking into a change by heading south, why deny them that? How is it better to deny them that option and watch them quit the game? 

Heck, give accounts on the southern isles that are less than a month old a one time option to head north- with total skill reset and no gear transfers.  I can see ZERO negatives to giving a player that is not happy with where they are the option to try the other clusters before deciding to leave the game.  And let's be honest- only a player that is not happy with where they are are going to make the decision to make a change like this.