Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. Cadence Rising

8 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

The premium will stay with the character regardless of what server. Unless they happen to add a oneway portal (I think they did for melody? but they might not this time) you would need to spend between now and the 21st working on a rowboat to get you to the new map, at which point you can take all skills and any items you can fit in the boat hold+inventory (mostly  tools, some cotton/wemp/veg seeds, perhaps a barrel of nails/iron lumps/anvil. Do not try taking wood, it's too bulky compared to the ease of replacing it.)

If you did NOT already buy premium, you might stall -- it could end up being a lot easier to just roll a new character on Cadence, and prem that one. 

Well, having built my first rowing boat before premium, I cannot completely agree. It is possible, and not even that hard, to create a rowboat with a basic account. And well, a rowboat of course has limited capacity. You will not be able to transport a cart, not even a small one, nor a forge and similar. A bed and a large chest will fit. Horses may swim with you (up to 4 if you have that many ropes) when embarked as commander. Cows, bulls, bisons, sheep, chicken must be left behind until you have a larger ship able to hold creature cages.

For the newer players:

Just a note: Horses will /not/ cross to a different server with you using a rowing boat.  Definitely not if they're led by you with a rope.

The only way to transport animals of any kind (other than unhatched chicken eggs) is to have a larger boat (bigger than a rowing boat or small sailboat) and have the animals inside a Creature cage

loaded into the hold of the ship.  These really aren't craftable by new players at all. 

So please, don't expect you'll be able to take any of your animals across to a new server with you unles you've already managed to get skills up.

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 3

If anyone on Melody doesn't have a boat, and they don't add a portal, I am willing to assist people migrate. I won't explore cadence for you, but will help you get there. I can also provide a safe place and some assistance for you to build a boat to explore Cadence. Contact Sarya in game.

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

3 hours ago, Kelody said:

If anyone on Melody doesn't have a boat, and they don't add a portal, I am willing to assist people migrate. I won't explore cadence for you, but will help you get there. I can also provide a safe place and some assistance for you to build a boat to explore Cadence. Contact Sarya in game.

I wrote up a thread about this, I'm getting going to transport people from Harmony Bay.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Ekcin said:

Well, having built my first rowing boat before premium, I cannot completely agree. It is possible, and not even that hard, to create a rowboat with a basic account.

I think you misunderstood me, I never said otherwise. A rowboat is not at all impossible for a basic account and many of us here have made one on a basic account. My suggestion was to maybe start one now regardless of whether prem or not, but then I realized they may be expecting to take more items than a rowboat could hold, and may already be finding Wurm difficult without a rowboat project.

Either they have a decent amount of skills and a lot of stuff they want to take (new players are packrats, we have all seen them trudging along at 1.8khm because they found a log they could not resist picking up), or they are just barely starting in the game and have few skills, don't play obsessively, and are not used to Wurm yet.  A rowboat is a good choice for the first (as long as they realize the space is quite limited) but maybe not for the second.  While a rowboat is a relatively easy task, especially for a player who knows what to expect from Wurm, a lot of brand new players think a large cart is excessively hard and make small ones instead, and I don't know about you but I have heard plenty of new players complain about the work of a rowboat. I have even heard them complain about this on WU servers with 5x/5x skill/action settings. 

A ride on someone else's boat is also a REALLY good choice, especially if the person has a corbita or cog (or even with a smaller boat as long as they all understand the limitations of smaller boats).

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

5 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I think you misunderstood me, I never said otherwise.

I think what he meant was rowboats are possible, but he recommends at least a sailboat because you can take beds, etc.

57 minutes ago, Object said:

I think what he meant was rowboats are possible, but he recommends at least a sailboat because you can take beds, etc.

I did not realize Eckin was suggesting they make a sailboat instead (which is of coarse much harder as it requires tailoring for sails and more complicated ropes), and which assumes the player is already premium, so not basic.. 

That bit on beds must be new since I was on WO servers, used to be sailboat/rowboat had the capacity of a small cart (9 logs), and you needed a large cart-capacity or bigger for a bed -  minimum of a corbita for a bed. (edit: Wurmpedia container page lists row/sail boats as both still having 756 capacity,   same as a small cart. Assuming Wurmpedia is up to date...).   Plus they said a basic account could make a rowboat "easily" but a never-premmed player would lack ability to load a bed or sail a sailboat?  So I doubt they were recommending a sailboat instead. 

Sigh, they change so many things over the years I can never keep all the changes straight... And we are not yet certain, this player might already have prem and tons of post 20+ skills,  and have decent mind logic & body strength too for all I know, and heck maybe already has made a larger boat.  Or, they may still be wandering around in a bit of a daze; it rather sounded like they do not yet have a deed or homestead.

I was only trying to list considerations, one of which was making a rowboat (in which case they should start it now) , another which was considering a fresh character if they are not premmed yet.  A third (probably best) option is simply catching a ride on someone else's boat. A boat is nice for scouting coastlines, although the particular design of Cadence suggests a lot of the best waterfront will eventually open up from canals and bridges down the road.

LOL I am so confused now, I better go have my nap 😛

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I did not realize Eckin was suggesting they make a sailboat instead (which is of coarse much harder as it requires tailoring for sails and more complicated ropes), and which assumes the player is already premium, so not basic.. 

That bit on beds must be new since I was on WO servers, used to be sailboat/rowboat had the capacity of a small cart (9 logs), and you needed a large cart-capacity or bigger for a bed -  minimum of a corbita for a bed. (edit: Wurmpedia container page lists row/sail boats as both still having 756 capacity,   same as a small cart. Assuming Wurmpedia is up to date...).   Plus they said a basic account could make a rowboat "easily" but a never-premmed player would lack ability to load a bed or sail a sailboat?  So I doubt they were recommending a sailboat instead. 

Sigh, they change so many things over the years I can never keep all the changes straight... And we are not yet certain, this player might already have prem and tons of post 20+ skills,  and have decent mind logic & body strength too for all I know, and heck maybe already has made a larger boat.  Or, they may still be wandering around in a bit of a daze; it rather sounded like they do not yet have a deed or homestead.

I was only trying to list considerations, one of which was making a rowboat (in which case they should start it now) , another which was considering a fresh character if they are not premmed yet.  A third (probably best) option is simply catching a ride on someone else's boat. A boat is nice for scouting coastlines, although the particular design of Cadence suggests a lot of the best waterfront will eventually open up from canals and bridges down the road.

LOL I am so confused now, I better go have my nap 😛

Hey, when someone told me I could make plate out of iron I was like....Wait what???

The even reduced the restrictions on priests so now you can legit main one now without an alt.  Obv your have to buy stuff but I'd assume it you mained a priest you'd make some money off selling services.

• Like 2

I can't find anything confirming you can load a bed onto a sailboat.

I think you made that up 😛

8 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I can't find anything confirming you can load a bed onto a sailboat.

I think you made that up 😛

To be fair, Eckin said a bed and a large chest will fit into a rowboat, not a sailboat

Huh!

That is interesting. I haven't been able to find any patch notes mentioning beds + boats, and Wurmpedia here lists a min of a large cart:  https://www.wurmpedia.com/index.php/Load_cargo

But as said, it is hard to keep track of all the changes in recent years.  I'll put a note on the Wurmpedia subforum asking them to clarify and correct the various pages now out of date.

I don't think a basic account however can load / unload the bed? Unless that changed too (maybe it did!) , so they would still need someone at both ends to get it on and off for them...

Anyway my apologies if I am wrong on that (which i guess i am!)

Well we be able to keep our skills and move to the new server?

All of the northern cluster (Harmony, Melody, Cadence) are connected by water and can travel back and forth with both skills and items. Defiance is not connected and cannot take items between servers.

You might need a boat to get to Cadence if you have an existing character on Harmony/Melody/Defiance. They have not said whether they will allow a one way portal as they had for Melody.

Characters from the southern servers (Xanadu, Independence, etc etc) cannot currently travel to any northern server, including Cadence.

1 minute ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

All of the northern cluster (Harmony, Melody, Cadence) can travel back and forth with both skills and items. Defiance cannot take items between servers.

You might need a boat to get to cadence if you have an existing character on Harmony/Melody/Defiance.

From the discord

atazs:

hello retrogarde? can you confirm any of this to me hey retro where will the spawns be on cadence and will there be one way portals from harmony or melody, or we must sail?

ʀᴇᴛʀᴏɢʀᴀᴅᴇ:

Portals should be there
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

Ok thanks for the clarification for those of us who do not hang out in Discord ^_^

Np! There's a fair bit of information that shows up in various places, it can be quite an effort to stay on top of it all

On 8/16/2020 at 10:15 AM, Schiann said:

Anyone who has played a video game that's been out for a while knows there are going to be people who've played longer than you. That said, there are already people on Northern Freedom servers that are so far ahead that new players starting today will never 'catch' them. 

This is a game where it takes years to max skills not months or days.  Two weeks even two months will hardly make a difference.   

My new characters don't have armor yet.  It's just not something I'm focused on at this point.  Someone who starts today could easily be the one I buy my first decent armor sets from in a few weeks or months when I determine I'm ready to focus on fight skills and want to venture farther from my deed to hunt.  They can still have a lasting effect on the early market and still be in a good position to set themselves up with both new and return shoppers.  Likewise with any of the crafting skills and there's plenty of room in the enchanting market for new people to join in and make a place for themselves.

A year from now that's not going to be so easy.  On an established server even newbies want high QL armor with multiple enchants.  Making a place for yourself as a crafter on an established server takes months (years) of non profitable grind and access to multiple priest accounts.  

New players that start today or next month can still make their marks in non skilled crafting ways.  They can be part of or even host of the first imp along on the server.  They can be the person that creates a vital leg of the new server's highway system or build a much needed canal or tunnel.  They can be the first to die at a Harmony Rift or to a Melody Dragon.  And while some of these things may also still be achievable on older servers it's much more difficult to find a place where you are needed.

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

21 hours ago, Sobe said:

Well we be able to keep our skills and move to the new server?

20 hours ago, Arronicus said:

From the discord

atazs:

hello retrogarde? can you confirm any of this to me hey retro where will the spawns be on cadence and will there be one way portals from harmony or melody, or we must sail?

ʀᴇᴛʀᴏɢʀᴀᴅᴇ:

Portals should be there

One way portals probably, so boat travel is still requires if your shipping stuff.  We're already up to 4 speed horses so I'd love to get some animal carriers made too.

Edited by Object
Autocorrect fail

What you can load into a rowboat you can load into a sailboat as well, same volume. Requires 23 BS tho. I do not believe anything changed since loading to those items, so no patch notes.

It will not only be on the 21th borders open so can transfer items and animals at a later date.

• Like 1

As to the questions about moving between servers: Already, the first corbitas have been made, cogs and Knarrs, finally caravels, coming soon. I made a caravel at ship building skill 40 at start of it, and certainly there are better ship builders than that on the northern cluster already. Creature cages will come soon as carpentry 60 comes naturally from building wooden or timber frame houses.

So it will be possible to do what I dreamt of on Xanadu: ferry and transport between and inbetween servers as services.

Just realized it is impossible to get a boat to the middle of the map lol

• Cat 1

Oh, please add some border islands to that map. I'd love to see that, rocky of course, otherwise we could make them. A dozen fit for sure, specially in the odd water-only corners. Other than that, nice work on the boats server :D 

• Like 2

Has there been any word where the server will be connected at ie. north of harmony etc