Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. Cadence Rising

3 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

I'm sure it is not intended, but that actually sounds rather ominous...

I think a lot of older players are spooked by the incoming changes, and not in the "change is bad" kind of way, more the "they're literally kicking us to the curb like epic" kind of way.

I spent the better part of 5 years on Epic, and the reasons it was dying even before the skills transfer and later Elevation reset was mostly down to PvP fatigue, sure a few tweaks and changes may have contributed somewhat, but by and large it was suffering the same fate that seems to dog all pvp servers since I joined when Wild was declining to low player levels. Epic is a unique set of issues, and very little can be done at this stage to revive it, other than scrapping the whole pvp system and allowing freedom players to settle, because right now it's an amazing hunting server, if one can dodge the dragons, drakes and assorted other uniques. 

It's nowhere close to the same situation as SFI, although i do agree with older players being spooked, i recall the upset caused way back when we got new bed model and older players were threatening to quit over that ... Some players simply don't like changes.

• Like 4

6 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Correct! I mean our plans are adapting to accommodate new people coming in rather than focusing on the existing population. We still have plenty of new players every day and we intend to keep that going! 

Can you elaborate on your plans regarding this? What's to stop a current player on Harmony/Melody from making a second account just to plop a deed down until all characters are able to sail there?

3 minutes ago, Dyne said:

Can you elaborate on your plans regarding this? What's to stop a current player on Harmony/Melody from making a second account just to plop a deed down until all characters are able to sail there?

Retrograde referred to the quote from the edit being correct - Cadence will be connected to Harmony and Melody from the start.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Samool said:

Retrograde referred to the quote from the edit being correct - Cadence will be connected to Harmony and Melody from the start.

I misread, thank you :)

13 hours ago, Rumi said:

Why all this crying about and 'please reconsider the map'? You don't have to go there! 

Because people are selfish and they want the new players to live with or near them.

12 hours ago, Icarium said:

I wonder if all the people complaining about the new server, saying that new players should be forced onto existing deeds would be willing to give up their deeds and live that kind of life?  Or maybe they're just upset that all their indentured servants will get their own place and they'll be stuck chiseling their own bricks.

1 hour ago, Dyne said:

I misread, thank you :)

This happens a lot here.

4 hours ago, Zenity said:

It's nowhere close to the same situation as SFI, although i do agree with older players being spooked, i recall the upset caused way back when we got new bed model and older players were threatening to quit over that ... Some players simply don't like changes.

The crux is the question "could epic have been saved in the past", and if you answer "yes" to that, then replace "epic" with "south freedom isles" and you have the similarity one wishes to draw.  Given that you indicate that nothing could save it now, one can infer you believed it could have been saved at some point.

For those on the south freedom islands, there is a belief among some that things may still be salvaged.  Though, whether this is true or not remains to be seen, or not, depending on the way the Devs go about things.

I think as skills on Nothern Island rise and the deeds grow and the economic gets mature, the gap between skills/deeds/economics of Nothern and Southern Islands will get smaller and smaller.  A new player then will not really see a difference anymore between nothern and southern servers and maybe some come directly to the older servers then. Not today since Nothern is shiney new but that will wear off.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Sirene said:

I think as skills on Nothern Island rise and the deeds grow and the economic gets mature, the gap between skills/deeds/economics of Nothern and Southern Islands will get smaller and smaller.  A new player then will not really see a difference anymore between nothern and southern servers and maybe some come directly to the older servers then. Not today since Nothern is shiney new but that will wear off.

Thats a very good point, but what if then we get the East Lands and then we rinse and repeat, could be a great way to keep money coming in and giving players a chance to start fresh again.

I hope after things settle we get some meaningful development, theres so much that could be added to the game, with the extra funds I really hope we see some new shiney stuff. 

Edited by Badvoc
  • Like 1

The player count has already peaked. Adding yet another server is a mistake.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, Runland said:

The player count has already peaked. Adding yet another server is a mistake.

Because new Players come in, cant find a nice Place and log off and never log in again.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Caduryn said:

Because new Players come in, cant find a nice Place and log off and never log in again.

Not replying to you but rather expanding on this... there should be some way of identifying how many deeds are on a server from Haven. A new player that goes from Haven to Melody looking to homestead will be hard pressed to find anything. Maybe they'll try again? They'll build a boat, go to harmony, and run into the same issue at least on the coast. They'll assume a norm and log off never to play again. There should be a way for new players to see that Cadence is made specifically for those looking for land. Otherwise it's just a name on a list they will randomly pick. If they studied music in school maybe they'll think one is cute or something. But thats about it. Server populations should be added to the picking list. New players struggle to figure out the game as is. Don't @ me with "tHeY sHoUlD type/wHo" let alone ask them to find the server pop graphs. I sometimes can't even find those.

• Like 5

6 hours ago, blameping said:

Where will the new server connect by boat? West/north of harmony? 

When you command a boat, you can right click the boat and select "plot course", then when you sail to any map border, you will come out on the opposite border of your destination map. So you can plot coast and sail to Cadence from any border of harmony you like, just like Harmony

2 hours ago, Melros said:

There should be a way for new players to see that Cadence is made specifically for those looking for land. Otherwise it's just a name on a list they will randomly pick.

The last time I made a character for Harmony, there was some text at the portal that tried to dissuade me from Harmony and tried to convince me to go to Melody instead. 

I assume they will do something like this for Cadence, to steer new players away from Harmony/Melody and towards Cadence with a note about it being newer and having more open space.

Maybe @Retrograde can confirm.

• Like 3

55 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

The last time I made a character for Harmony, there was some text at the portal that tried to dissuade me from Harmony and tried to convince me to go to Melody instead. 

I assume they will do something like this for Cadence, to steer new players away from Harmony/Melody and towards Cadence with a note about it being newer and having more open space.

Maybe @Retrograde can confirm.

Would be really cool if we or they got something that said like, 
% of available land unclaimed for each of the maps. Then people who want somewhere with a lot more room they'll be able to easily see which server for that, or if they want a more populated experience they can go to harmony, or if they really want a busy full map, they can go melody

I agree 100% with this when i started playing this game the big thing was all the cost land spots was gone. I think this should have been done form the start and this time just one more server opened ?you should think of not 1 but open up 2 new ones to make sure when new guy pops on he are she can find a spot that they like inland are cost land.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Etherdrifter said:

The crux is the question "could epic have been saved in the past", and if you answer "yes" to that, then replace "epic" with "south freedom isles" and you have the similarity one wishes to draw.  Given that you indicate that nothing could save it now, one can infer you believed it could have been saved at some point.

For those on the south freedom islands, there is a belief among some that things may still be salvaged.  Though, whether this is true or not remains to be seen, or not, depending on the way the Devs go about things.

They tried to 'fix' epic a bunch of times, it went from Elevation is gonna wipe to no wipe to affliction gets wiped to let's wipe Elevation a couple of times now.  I think how the Valero map works was inherently flawed and it really needs to be scrapped and redone again with inspiration from the old system.

Then add in that all the good stuff from epic was added to freedom anyways, what's the point of Epic now.  Do you have any idea how much work we did on the first Elevation..although I may be biased since I was UP and experience two maps I lived in being wiped while I was playing.

49 minutes ago, Object said:

Then add in that all the good stuff from epic was added to freedom anyways, what's the point of Epic now.  

If it wasn't almost completely dead there, I'd probably go back to playing my characters on epic for the accelerated skillgain and epic curve. I really miss epic skillgain/curve. 

52 minutes ago, Arronicus said:

If it wasn't almost completely dead there, I'd probably go back to playing my characters on epic for the accelerated skillgain and epic curve. I really miss epic skillgain/curve. 

That is self fulfilling prophecy.

People do not play on Epic currently, couse Epic is dead. So Epic is dead couse people won't play on it.

Edited by Wilczan
  • Like 2

15 hours ago, Samool said:

I am new so stupid question...
Does this mean that if I bought premium on Melody, I will be able to transfer my character along with skills and items to a new server?

3 minutes ago, Darnok said:

Does this mean that if I bought premium on Melody, I will be able to transfer my character along with skills and items to a new server?

Not a stupid question, but yes. You may sail or let you transport by a boat captain to Cadence as well as to Harmony.

A brand new player on Haven may choose Cadence as her start server once it is open. And from there, sail to Harmony or Melody.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, Wilczan said:

That is self fulfilling prophecy.

People do not play on Epic currently, couse Epic is dead. So Epic is dead couse people won't play on it.

Sure, but I played there for quite a while as the population got smaller and smaller and smaller. I think the idea that other people CAN grief your stuff is probably just too much of a put-off for the average player, whereas it's really easy for people who get their kicks by upsetting other players, to do so. I liked it there a lot, but I dunno, just not most people's gig I guess. Shame too, since the server is mostly reverted back to a wilderness state now

• Like 2

On 8/15/2020 at 12:12 PM, Tilda said:

This! The 'new player experience' exists on older servers as well as new ones for pete's sake. We have so much beautiful land going to waste while even our older players run off to the overcrowded deforested mess of new servers. Sorry I love wurm and think I might just go have a good cry over this lack of foresight. (edit, I won't really, just so sad when once again kerching wins out over everything else)

I just planted 100 pines near Overture for any new guys that come in a couple weeks. :)

• Like 1

Guys please encourage new players to join Wurm and on the allready existing Maps/Servers. We still have a biggass Xanadu that could benefit from a population influx. We have at the moment enough servers, we need more players.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Darnok said:

The premium will stay with the character regardless of what server. Unless they happen to add a oneway portal (I think they did for melody? but they might not this time) you would need to spend between now and the 21st working on a rowboat to get you to the new map, at which point you can take all skills and any items you can fit in the boat hold+inventory (mostly  tools, some cotton/wemp/veg seeds, perhaps a barrel of nails/iron lumps/anvil. Do not try taking wood, it's too bulky compared to the ease of replacing it.)

If you did NOT already buy premium, you might stall -- it could end up being a lot easier to just roll a new character on Cadence, and prem that one. 

• Like 1