Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. Cadence Rising

52 minutes ago, griper said:

We need some life cycle managament for servers.

Set a lowest acceptable population limit for each server.

When the population goes below the limit, let the server die in 3 months time (to allow people time to move).

Its not viable to keep maintaining servers that are obviously not attractive to most players.

And release new servers when total cluster population demands it.

ehm, no thanks. spent years into making my deed on Deliverance, not my fault they release new servers while older are unpopulated nor should i be forced to move or quit over that.

and beside how would you define lowest acceptable population? over which time? i've seen servers having peeks that goes down and up over the years

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, Garnetstar said:

Not true

New priest here and I am doing very well for myself. I know many non hardcore veterans doing well. If we merged servers, we would be out marketed very easily. 

Also please make the new server 8x8 with harmony in the middle. 

8x8 is the best size for new map. Do not decrease density anymore, we don't want a repeat of epic. Please listen to us

And this cannot happen, We already have items hitting the market form players that exploited, imagine being flooded by items made by players who played 10 years ....

Another server? We can't even have a group of 30 people move in a local on one server without the server lagging out. 

• Like 2

No not 8x8. It will fill up in nothing flat. I remember all the 8x8 servers and how fast they got crowded. It will just end up needing yet another 8x8 and another 8x8 and another 8x8. Just like the old servers. A new server will reduce the load on Harmony and things will be better all around.

Edited by Hanel

It would be nice to fix mob distribution before you launch another server.   

I can remember having to fight mobs to survive building a highway.  Now you can build with out seeing a mob for days.

Edited by Ascorbic
  • Like 1

Please don't make priest easier.. it should be hard. You should need support skills to be a good priest. It shouldn't be afk and cast, it should be work for your favor to speed things up..

• Like 3

BTW, rivers will do wonders when it comes to increasing shorelines. 😉

And I agree with others. You need to rethink that map.

Edited by Hanel

I'm pretty said the preist change isn't going through. I was going to dual my Fo priest and AH skills on both maps 😧 

There is no reason for that new server to come out, the lag is almost completely gone, and the server aren't full even on weekends, this is ridiculous.

More changes to the priest channel and link? What is wrong with you? As long as someone complain you'll change things around? Where is your standart and what is it for?

No merge for the priest, so you'll think of something else? Cmon, grow some decision and maintain it, never seen such mind-change over a single month not accomodating anyone running like headless chickens.

This patch isn't even necessary at all, what is going on here?

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DragonNoir said:

There is no reason for that new server to come out, the lag is almost completely gone, and the server aren't full even on weekends, this is ridiculous.

yes there is. ppl dont pop deeds on current servers no more as no coaslines left. so they made a server with only coastlines so ppl can pop deeds again. This game turned all about the money now. Noone cares with the end result that it will leave 50 servers with 5 ppl in each in the end. The goal is to profit from it while the hype lasts. 

plus thats an easy lag issue fix. like why even try fixing something that wont even be present no more with a handful of players per server :D

Edited by Skatyna
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, validate said:

agreed, making another smaller one would be ok. but another one , that will pull 50% off harmony and 25%-50% off melody .   and we will end up with populations like celebration peaking at 20 during the day or worse like the others. I stopped playing xanadu because there was no one around, way to spread out.   the new cluster doesnt need another server that size.  

Golden Valley players 2/80
Chaos players 16/800
Independence players 50/800
Deliverance players 23/800
Exodus players 16/800
Celebration players 20/800
Pristine players 11/800
Release players 15/800
Xanadu players 115/800
Harmony players 671/1500
Defiance players 286/1500
Haven players 13/400
Melody players 365/800
Epic cluster players 3/3200
Total players

1606/13880

Looks like the old servers still have plenty of room. Also I am seeing a trend toward PVE over PVP here. Harmony alone has three times the players Defiance has.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, WittleBunnBun said:

I'm pretty said the preist change isn't going through. I was going to dual my Fo priest and AH skills on both maps 😧 

You can do that already, just become Fo priest on both. All you need to do is remember to pray/sermon on both servers. :)

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Skatyna said:

yes there is. ppl dont pop deeds on current servers no more as no coaslines left. so they made a server with only coastlines so ppl can pop deeds again. This game turned all about the money now. Noone cares with the end result that it will leave 50 servers with 5 ppl in each in the end. The goal is to profit from it while the hype lasts. 

plus thats an easy lag issue fix. like why even try fixing something that wont even be present no more with a handful of players per server :D

People don't need coastline to deed anywhere, finding the ressources they wanna work on is enough, since villages are everywhere, trading ressources is easy, forming alliances even more. What impede people from asking for pendulums and building wells, or even simpler, tunnel to water level and have infinite water supplies. Knowledge and sharing it, with a little cooperation is all it need to settle the problem and see deed pop everywhere, not just on coastline.

Releasing a new map made of 80% coastline outline the problem and aggravate it by macking it the "meta" and depopulating the two other servers just to avoid adressing it.

And indeed, why work onto lag problems and tune their code accordingly, when they simply choose to depopulate to avoid a second problem, two avoidance in a single shot, what a pitiful move from my perspective.

• Like 2

But depopulation isn't the goal and there's no particular reason to expect it. The people who were likely to leave harmony for a new server already left. They're on Melody.

• Like 2

The reason to expect it is the same reason it happen in the first place, coastline deeding is easier and people want good looking places, and compete with eachother that way, and since the frenzy for those places is quelling for both other PvE server, they simply open a new one to keep the rush and new players flow going as much as they can. Why would the old server depopulate? Why would the new server depopulate? Seems quite obvious when you throw a steak to a dog if he's gonna run get it.

• Like 1

I outlined our goal with releasing this new server earlier in this thread. I'm not sure why it's assumed to be the alternative to fixing lag - we have been including lag fixes in almost every update since the release, the larger fixes to that ending up in patch notes too, and we're noticing a large reduction in server lag even with 950 players online on Harmony today.

We'll continue to work on that and you should see more improvements on that end shortly, but our intention with releasing the new servers isn't to spread the population to avoid lag - it's just to give people room to play how they want to.

• Like 15

3 minutes ago, DragonNoir said:

Seems quite obvious when you throw a steak to a dog if he's gonna run get it.

If the dog is hungry, yes. First steak, he will definitely run for it. Second steak, maybe not. We're on the third steak

Edited by Sheffie

5 hours ago, Idlamn said:

Connect the old servers to the new ones next maybe :)?

How do I delete this comment? Thank you

The only reason I (and many other people I've talked to) are playing on harmony/melody/defiance, is because this cluster is fully separated from the old cluster, allowing us to be free from the influence of rmt'ed wealth  and old accounts, many of which have been trained up by different people.  Old accounts that would crash the market on everything from enchants to armour and weapons to boats and food. 

The new servers are so much fun SPECIFICALLY because they are not connected to the old cluster. So many people are playing because of that, and the worst thing you could possibly do right now for maintaining the experience of the growth and development of these servers would be to connect them to the old maps in any other way than portals that allow your character to travel between the clusters without any skill or items transferring over. 

Edited by Arronicus
  • Like 7

7 minutes ago, Arronicus said:

How do I delete this comment? Thank you

Afraid you can't delete posts made, but you can edit out the contents with the Edit button below the post.

9 minutes ago, Samool said:

I outlined our goal with releasing this new server earlier in this thread. I'm not sure why it's assumed to be the alternative to fixing lag - we have been including lag fixes in almost every update since the release, the larger fixes to that ending up in patch notes too, and we're noticing a large reduction in server lag even with 950 players online on Harmony today.

We'll continue to work on that and you should see more improvements on that end shortly, but our intention with releasing the new servers isn't to spread the population to avoid lag - it's just to give people room to play how they want to.

I'd like to say after the first 5-6 days of playing on harmony with lag.  I haven't  really had any lag since then. and i play a ton. with alts too. no issues so the fixes are working well. thank you .   but a huge new server.  better a smaller one and add another smaller one after that if needed. vs a large one. please look at server stats  . 

You guys opened exodus and celi soon after because deli was high, sure folks left for them. but a couple years later 15-20 players.  release and i forget the other one . was good when alone, but when added in to freedom. same thing the population left. 

please think 2 years down the road. when maybe north joins the south.  you'll be paying for a lot of mostly empty servers.  less then 2 months from now a lot of newbie player deeds that was formed the first 2-3 days of release will disband from upkeep and that will open up a lot of land again.  would be better to make a small one for now, and see what it's like in two months if another larger server is needed.

I intend to stay on harmony. and shrank my xanadu deed just to keep my things safe for a yr or two in hopes of sailing over.  i loved xanadu at first. but it's too big and under populated for it's size. 100-200 players max. 

if you have many steam sales and advertise more then i  guess make a larger server but again wait until the sale to open it up.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, shakys said:

Afraid you can't delete posts made, but you can edit out the contents with the Edit button below the post.

lol they wanted to delete someones elses post cus its a bad idea.  it wasnt they're own

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Jeston said:

Making the same mistake spreading the servers thin.

This. You are going to kill the population quick. Noobs are not near as attracted (i find) when they enter to a desolate server with 50 people online spread across 16km. (cough, all the old freedom servers, cough)

I strongly oppose (but who cares) any more servers unless you are going to remove existing servers when they get quiet.

• Like 1

All the people saying merge the pve servers xD

Also 16x16 very funny.

Let's do an 8x8. Maybe actually fix the mobs instead of the bandaid called "more land more mobs"

Edited by Melros

So im a brand new player to this game, it took me a few days just to figure out the UI and mess around with the novelty of things.  I, and probably many other new players, didn't realize how competitive finding desireable land for a deed would be.  I was actually hoping for a new server release, it's taken me this long just to really grasp the basics of the game.  It's crazy to see how much progress has been made already on the new servers, even though it hasn't been that long.  I'll personally be moving to the new server, I don't have much attachment to my characters since I've spent much of my time learning and messing around.  In terms of finding even decent real estate on the new servers, I'm just too far behind the curve.  Just wanted to add my 2 cents.

• Like 4