Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. Cadence Rising

4 minutes ago, Alpengeist said:

Welcome Cadence, but I really think connecting all the servers now by a boat ride might be better in order to spread people out. When I log into Release, there are between 9 and 20 players typically, and it's similar on many of the old servers. 9 of 1900 is a very out of balance number. Let the economies and players now merge instead of making more servers. 

No,the new servers would flood with old silver and very old characters.

better to never join the servers imo.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Priests, links, and favor

As we have worked on addressing balance issues with priests and linking, we have spent considerable time reading through your feedback on the forums and in-game. The appeal of linking multiple priests is due to the way the existing favor regeneration and sacrificing systems work. With this in mind, we will be introducing a new system to address those weak spots within playing a priest. 

Expect to see a discussion post regarding that soon!

It is also due to how skillticks and difficulty work (that extra 10% per link is really useful for late-game skilling).

I'm interested to see what new system you folks come up with, though I must confess I'm not sure how you'll go about it...

You would have more people happy to settle away from shorelines if clay was more spread out around the map.

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

Just merge all the PVE servers, there's a HUGE amount of land available on the old servers for new and old (returning) players to make deeds, if you wait too long then the north/south economies might be too different to make merging possible.

• Like 2

Putting in a delay doesn't stop the land rush. It just makes it more chaotic and upsetting for the people involved.

As it stands, you can log in a new character, run somewhere interesting, and (assuming you paid for silver) you can found a deed as soon as you find a spot you like. If someone else logged in five minutes ahead of you, you're out of luck.

How does this picture change when people aren't allowed to deed until 24 hours after they create their character? You log in, run to a nice spot, and wait. Perhaps you see a tent already there, and you realize you have to move on. Perhaps you don't. if someone else got there five minutes ahead of you, you're out of luck again, although you may not know this until 24 hours have elapsed and you log in to find yourself on their brand new deed. Unless of course the player that got there ahead of you logs in five minutes later than you on day 2, and you get to jump their claim.

How does the original picture change if people aren't allowed to deed until they have 24 hours of game time? It becomes more skewed towards the veterans and the fanatics who stay logged in until they can deed.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Badvoc said:

Every mmo game has old and new players playing together. Silver is silver, especially when all one cluster. Any initial disruption via joining the clusters would bounce back to natural equilibrium quickly. We need to let the clusters unite and let nature take its course. More room can then be introduced if absolutely still needed and people would naturally migrate via boat.

Edited by Alpengeist
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

This would be a GREAT time to offer a NEW features such as:

1. Evening out the curve. Making all levels equally apart.
  2. Adding a feature like faith where you can only gain exp (x amount) times a day on each skill so we don’t have to stand at a mine for months
  3. INCREASED exp so we don’t have to be here 5 years to level a few things up to max.
  4. Have resources in regions for better trading instead of all spread out.
  5. Fix combat animations!!!
  6. Increase beginning walking speeds and lower max speeds. Especially when climbing SMALL slopes!!!!!!!

Do this and you’ll see a TON of new players actually STAY! This game is incredible but these things just push people away. Sure you’ll have the die hard fans here complaining that “OH you’ll ruin the game” and so on but this is coming from a small base which a lot of them would probably agree with me. The new players now a day want more instant gratification. YES this isn’t that game... MAKE it that GAME! Compromise and let’s meet in the middle and let’s see pops soar! It would be on a new server NOT affecting the older players. It would cater to the new! If someone here says they disagree, they are selfish and do not want more players to play Wurm.

Edited by Holydragon

Just now, Sheffie said:

Putting in a delay doesn't stop the land rush. It just makes it more chaotic and upsetting for the people involved.

As it stands, you can log in a new character, run somewhere interesting, and (assuming you paid for silver) you can found a deed as soon as you find a spot you like. If someone else logged in five minutes ahead of you, you're out of luck.

How does this picture change when people aren't allowed to deed until 24 hours after they create their character? You log in, run to a nice spot, and wait. Perhaps you see a tent already there, and you realize you have to move on. Perhaps you don't. if someone else got there five minutes ahead of you, you're out of luck again, although you may not know this until 24 hours have elapsed and you log in to find yourself on their brand new deed. Unless of course the player that got there ahead of you logs in five minutes later than you on day 2, and you get to jump their claim.

How does the original picture change if people aren't allowed to deed until they have 24 hours of game time? It becomes more skewed towards the veterans and the fanatics who stay logged in until they can deed.

I suppose you are right.

The devs need to point people and encourage people from the tutorial to go to the most sparsely populated servers 

Just now, Holydragon said:

This would be a GREAT time to offer a NEW features such as:

1. Evening out the curve. Making all levels equally apart.
  2. Adding a feature like faith where you can only gain exp (x amount) times a day on each skill so we don’t have to stand at a mine for months
  3. INCREASED exp so we don’t have to be here 5 years to level a few things up to max.
  4. Have resources in regions for better trading instead of all spread out.
  5. Fix combat animations!!!
  6. Increase beginning walking speeds and lower max speeds. Especially when climbing SMALL slopes!!!!!!!

Do this and you’ll see a TON of new players actually STAY! This game is incredible but these things just push people away. Sure you’ll have the die hard fans here complaining that “OH you’ll ruin the game” and so on but this is coming from a small base which a lot of them would probably agree with me. The new players now a day want more instant gratification. YES this isn’t that game... MAKE it that GAME! Compromise and let’s meet in the middle and let’s see pops soar! It would be on a new server NOT affecting the older players. It would cater to the new! If someone here says they disagree, they are selfish and do not want more players to play Wurm.

Wurm Unlimited is right up your alley 

• Like 5

I'm relieved to see Faith remaining separate, but I have some concerns about introducing a new island to the cluster.

2 hours ago, Samool said:

While I agree in general that too many servers is a detrimental thing, we have looked at the deed maps of Harmony and Melody and found the only unclaimed land on Harmony is some areas deeper inland, and Melody has close to none at all, other than in certain undesired biomes.

This combined with the fact that we continue to have a lot of new players entering the game, and our further plans for promotion in the near future, we needed a server in the Northern Freedom Isles cluster that will actually be able to handle those players, instead of making everyone frustrated on not being able to find free land.

We'll consider ways to make the Southern Freedom Isles cluster more appealing to the new players, but currently it's a bit of a tough sell, as understandably the new player experience is much more attractive to most players on the new servers.

May it be a better idea to start the promotion first, and then use a new island for the northern isles as a way to attract even more people, instead of pro-actively doing it ahead of time allowing people from Harmony/Melody to flood it first and take all the good spots?

Perhaps only allow people with noob buffs the chance to port over, and give a two-week grace period before older accounts are allowed to sail over. Or, give new accounts a chance to start on Cadence with the 30% skill bonus enabled for a week or so?

Either way, I am concerned with introducing another map to the northern cluster.... especially one the size of Harmony. I suppose I'll remain skeptically optimistic for now.

Edited by Xallo
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Badvoc said:

10 minutes ago, Alpengeist said:

Every mmo game has old and new players playing together. Silver is silver, especially when all one cluster. Any initial disruption via joining the clusters would bounce back to natural equilibrium quickly.

I agree to Badvoc about the old characters and the silver, albeit not about the "never", but certainly about the "not now". To merge right now would be detrimental. It is already questionable though unavoidable how old Wurm players are dominating the new servers. In a merge at this time, the new players would be steamrolled, which might drive away many of them.

It is nonsense never to merge. After a year or two, the two clusters won't differ a horrible lot in level averages, that will be the time to eventually merge.

Edited by Ekcin
Misquoting removed
  • Like 1

I really don't understand why are certain people so upset about and against the merge. It's still better solution than having bunch of ghost servers in few months. 

Little clue for y'all the veterans who wanna take advantage of that in economy are already on new servers dominating market with their expirience, the rest of us that stayed doesn't care or have the time to deal with market. In the matter of fact it will probably only do good for truly new players.

• Like 4

Merging PvE is fine, but you HAVE to 100% detach Defiance from PvE. all stats and items must be separate.  You will destroy PvP if you connect Defiance to anything else. It's already seeing loads of abuses of the PvP Portals with people hopping back and forth for stuff and exploits (like 5 hours of free sleep bonus for vynora followers, and other exploits/"features")

Honestly, please do connect all the PvE servers, just disconnect Defiance 100%: Skills and Items (sure keep the portals but make the character 100% separate on both servers).  The only thing that might get messed up by merging north and south PvE is the "economy" which is not a leading reason why 99% of people play this game anyway, so very few players will be negatively affected. Only a vocal minority who reply to forum posts like this.  XD

Anyway, the new map is fine. Devs did the math. The rest is conjecture/opinions.

• Cat 1

19 minutes ago, atazs said:

The devs need to point people and encourage people from the tutorial to go to the most sparsely populated servers 

I think this needs amplifying.

Ideally, new players should be able to see a list of servers that shows how many players chose to go there - in the last day, the last week, all time.

After choosing a server, they should get the same information when choosing from the list of starting towns.

This way people can choose to either follow the crowd or go it alone, depending on their preferences. They may be prepared to put up with lag if it means bigger villages. Or they may want the shortest run to an empty spot.

Edited by Sheffie

I am not a "Northern" player, though my two cents is that a decision like this might be better to make after the first month or two have passed to see whether those who paid for the one/two month premium packages are truly going to stay. Maybe some bought the 2 month package for the discount, have played to get their money's worth out of it, but after the 2 month mark decide not to re-prem for some reason and leave the game.

4 hours ago, Retrograde said:

After announcing our intentions to merge faith, we have been listening to your feedback on the matter. We spent time discussing this internally and have decided to not go forward with the merge. Our initial goal was to address the meta of skilling on PvE servers while being priests within PvP, but given your feedback, we're willing to change our plans. We want to encourage priest play on the PvP server rather than skilling off the server and will work on a more agreeable solution. 

Will this be made available for Chaos and old cluster too or is just intended for the new cluster?

hello, get rid of epic now that we have more servers. Thankyou.

• Like 3

2 hours ago, Beaupeep said:

This looks great and I'm so happy for the Wurm player base and the people who work so incredibly hard to make it happen.

If I could though, I'd like to throw in a desperate plea for female armor and robes because I'm so very tired of looking like a boy.  Girls do play Wurm and it would just be nice to be able to dress properly.  If the reason this hasn't happened is because of horse riding animations, may I respectfully suggest a sidesaddle option?

Thanks again for all you do, I have never enjoyed Wurm more than I am enjoying it now.

The reason for this is because anatomically correct armor based on gender was not a thing. Armor was not made to look good, but to protect. Furthermore sidesaddle riding may look pretty, but try staying in your saddle when a horse is going on a full gallop while seating like that. It won't go well.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Samool said:

While I agree in general that too many servers is a detrimental thing, we have looked at the deed maps of Harmony and Melody and found the only unclaimed land on Harmony is some areas deeper inland, and Melody has close to none at all, other than in certain undesired biomes.

This combined with the fact that we continue to have a lot of new players entering the game, and our further plans for promotion in the near future, we needed a server in the Northern Freedom Isles cluster that will actually be able to handle those players, instead of making everyone frustrated on not being able to find free land.

23 minutes ago, Xallo said:

May it be a better idea to start the promotion first, and then use a new island for the northern isles as a way to attract even more people, instead of pro-actively doing it ahead of time allowing people from Harmony/Melody to flood it first and take all the good spots?

This is what I was thinking as well. I do not know anything about the "promotion" that is planned, but if there is a bigger influx of new players expected, then opening a new server before they actually arrive might not fully serve it's purpose. 

Other thing I was wondering about, the unclaimed land data - have you also analyzed,  how many of all the deeds are running on low upkeep, and how active their owners are? Would be a pity to see a wall of disbands in 2 months. Not really asking for inside information, just that it has been thought of.

We need some life cycle management for servers.

Set a lowest acceptable population limit for each server.

When the population goes below the limit, let the server die in 3 months time (to allow people time to move).

Its not viable to keep maintaining servers that are obviously not attractive to most players.

And release new servers when total cluster population demands it.

Edited by griper
  • Like 1

Not too early for another server. But did you make the same mistake and put clay only on the coast? You gotta get away from that and put clay inland too. Oh, and close the old servers please. They are a mess. Forgot to mention, when will mountains be snow capped? 

FC06AF3E87974AC9B56D0DA03ECF6802613CFDAF

7BA05287B07BBD91216B77D0E2D66556500258D1

Edited by Hanel

Another server is good, although I prefer a smaller size.

Will there be boat access from the other servers as soon as the new one opens?

Please change it to 8x8

The older servers had 4 Epic isles, One PVP, 7 PVE, JACKAL

Enough of that, bringing the players together IS FUN!

If being crowd is really a problem then please, 8x8.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kochinac said:

I really don't understand why are certain people so upset about and against the merge. It's still better solution than having bunch of ghost servers in few months. 

Little clue for y'all the veterans who wanna take advantage of that in economy are already on new servers dominating market with their expirience, the rest of us that stayed doesn't care or have the time to deal with market. In the matter of fact it will probably only do good for truly new players.

Not true

New priest here and I am doing very well for myself. I know many non hardcore veterans doing well. If we merged servers, we would be out marketed very easily. 

Also please make the new server 8x8 with harmony in the middle. 

8x8 is the best size for new map. Do not decrease density anymore, we don't want a repeat of epic. Please listen to us

Edited by Garnetstar