Sign in to follow this  
Retrograde

Valrei International. Cadence Rising

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Priest faith
After announcing our intentions to merge faith, we have been listening to your feedback on the matter. We spent time discussing this internally and have decided to not go forward with the merge. Our initial goal was to address the meta of skilling on PvE servers while being priests within PvP, but given your feedback, we're willing to change our plans. We want to encourage priest play on the PvP server rather than skilling off the server and will work on a more agreeable solution. 

Can we have a discussion about changes like these BEFORE an announcement is made? Is not the first time something like this happens forcing players to make decisions that they later can't take back. If anyone would had asked we would have loudly told you guys this was a bad idea. Lets not do it again please.

• Like 3

This looks great and I'm so happy for the Wurm player base and the people who work so incredibly hard to make it happen.

If I could though, I'd like to throw in a desperate plea for female armor and robes because I'm so very tired of looking like a boy.  Girls do play Wurm and it would just be nice to be able to dress properly.  If the reason this hasn't happened is because of horse riding animations, may I respectfully suggest a sidesaddle option?

Thanks again for all you do, I have never enjoyed Wurm more than I am enjoying it now.

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

Connect the old servers to the new ones next maybe :)?

3 minutes ago, Beaupeep said:

If I could though, I'd like to throw in a desperate plea for female armor and robes because I'm so very tired of looking like a boy.  Girls do play Wurm and it would just be nice to be able to dress properly.  If the reason this hasn't happened is because of horse riding animations, may I respectfully suggest a sidesaddle option?

I saw female players characters wear armor. What do you mean?

Edited by Idlamn
  • Like 1

How about decreasing deed rates on the lesser populated servers to encourage population returns or other options for remaining faithful to a particular server if even some buffs like Chaos provides? Kinda missing the idea of creating markets anymore. Trade is getting to spread out now.

Edited by Traveler777
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

3 minutes ago, Idlamn said:

Connect the old servers to the new ones next maybe :)?

How about no

• Like 8

given the lag problems in harmony wouldnt 2 melody size servers make more sense? if you are doing this because you expect another new wave of players, you should expect the same lag problems.

• Like 9

1 hour ago, Samool said:

While I agree in general that too many servers is a detrimental thing, we have looked at the deed maps of Harmony and Melody and found the only unclaimed land on Harmony is some areas deeper inland, and Melody has close to none at all, other than in certain undesired biomes.

This combined with the fact that we continue to have a lot of new players entering the game, and our further plans for promotion in the near future, we needed a server in the Northern Freedom Isles cluster that will actually be able to handle those players, instead of making everyone frustrated on not being able to find free land.

We'll consider ways to make the Southern Freedom Isles cluster more appealing to the new players, but currently it's a bit of a tough sell, as understandably the new player experience is much more attractive to most players on the new servers.

Perhaps a one way portal from the north to the south cluster might help, so that new players who picked North have the chance to go South without having to make a new character. Right now if they change their mind then the sunk cost fallacy is likely to keep them North.

Besides that I don't quite understand why a 16x16 instead of an 8x8, especially as the lag on the current 16x16 has yet to be fixed from what I'm reading in comments. How are you going to prevent the next 16x16 server from being a repeat of that?

• Like 2

Launching another 16x16 map is so incredibly shortsighted. While it's fine that some people want land of their own, it shouldn't be encouraged. Players should be encouraged to join active villages and be a part of the community. Beyond that, it's foolish to think that the current population will remain after another month or two. When the servers first launched, I consistently saw 5-10 players in my village online concurrently. Recently? It's more like 2-3. Local players has gone from ~20 to ~5.

Combine that with the map presented, and the fact that quite a few people are already established on Harmony and Melody, you're launching a ghost town. I predict the new server will be very, very sparsely populated with less than 100 concurrent playing after the first week.

This is a bad call.

• Like 8

Everyone having their own deed is sad. Plenty of space on Defiance, where you can find 100 citizens in a "village".

5 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

Launching another 16x16 map is so incredibly shortsighted. While it's fine that some people want land of their own, it shouldn't be encouraged. Players should be encouraged to join active villages and be a part of the community. Beyond that, it's foolish to think that the current population will remain after another month or two. When the servers first launched, I consistently saw 5-10 players in my village online concurrently. Recently? It's more like 2-3. Local players has gone from ~20 to ~5.

while i agree that 16x16 server is terrible idea and 8x8 would be a better choice now(debatable if they need new server, but okay lets try) i strongly disagree with your second statment and find it highly insultive. Players shouldnt be encouraged to do anything execpt play however they want. Wurm is still quite oasis among mmos for more introverted players and i'm quite sick of social types trying to bash it everytime and punish us for wanting more solitary life while still in mmo. Everyone should playe the way they like and shouldnt not be any encouragment or punishment for otherwise. Period.

• Like 10

I'm wondering what the devs intend to do with the southern servers. Not least because I've got a lot of money there, in terms of silver bought, deed upkeep paid, and goods purchased.

If it's never going to be connected to the northern isles, I am not going to want to continue to pay rent on Xanadu and Harmony. I need to decide where to stay permanently.

If the intent is to push new players onto the southern servers, perhaps incentives like reduced deed costs would help — although I think the problem is that deeds are too cheap in the north, not too expensive in the south.

As it stands, though, nobody is going to go south, because nobody wants to wander through other peoples' ruins... unless the devs can implement some processes of naturalization / erosion / decay that transform old deeds back into natural landscapes. That means that paving has to decay and terraformed land needs to exhibit some signs of soil erosion/deposition.

Edited by Sheffie
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

Encouragement is not forcing. It doesn't imply punishment.

• Cat 1

1 minute ago, Sheffie said:

I'm wondering what the devs intend to do with the southern servers. Not least because I've got a lot of money there, in terms of silver bought, deed upkeep paid, and goods purchased.

If it's never going to be connected to the northern isles, I am not going to want to continue to pay rent on Xanadu and Harmony. I need to decide where to stay permanently.

If the intent is to push new players onto the southern servers, perhaps incentives like reduced deed costs would help — although I think the problem is that deeds are too cheap in the north, not too expensive in the south.

Deeds cost the same north and south.

31 minutes ago, Sindusk said:

While it's fine that some people want land of their own, it shouldn't be encouraged.

I am glad you like a crowded town, and I am likewise glad that devs won't try to force everyone to play that way.

For some, this is a wilderness homesteading/survival game rather than some type of citybuilder strategy/economic game where everyone is shoehorned into a specialized role.

Luckily everyone can pick their own style.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 10

11 minutes ago, Kelody said:

Deeds cost the same north and south.

True.

The question is whether they should. If the devs wanted to encourage people to move south, then one potential mechanism is changing that.

• Cat 1

I do think Wurm needs a new Northern Isles server currently.  No-one can see ahead regarding the future, but currently the tutorial server constantly has dozens of new players coming in.  I have not seen the numbers on Haven drop below a dozen at any time of the day.  Forgive me if this is naive but these players have to go somewhere.   As Samool says there is no longer enough space on the existing Northern servers and these new players are potentially being driven away, as can be seen from some very recent steam feedback.  Folks are searching for over 9 hours and not finding a spot, and that's not the ideal first impression.  We want these new players to have fun. 

Why make a new Northern server and not use the existing Southern servers you might ask? Anyone who has been watching the Wurm streams, will have noticed that new players are now hearing about the game not only from steam but from friends and family already in game, and are understandably wanting to join these friends and family on the new Northern cluster, thus swelling the numbers further, as a result the lag can potentially become a worse problem on these 3 servers.  So regardless of whether an additional new server is a sensible long term proposition for Wurm as a whole, I think it is definitely needed right here and now to solve the immediate overpopulation problem in the North.  

As regards the size of the server, I think a Melody-sized server might have been more manageable - just to cut down the travel times for those new players looking to find a spot, and possibly adding another similar sized server later.  In fairness to the devs it probably costs the same or similar to run a small map server as a large one, so this does have to be taken into account, and viewed relative to the feedback being received on Steam and here on the forums. 

It's a balancing act that the devs have to perform, and only the devs can decide on the solution, as they have all the figures and know their limitations.  I personally am optimistic for a new server, whether it is the one big 16km x 16km map they present here, or two smaller cosier 8km x 8km ones.

Best of luck to everyone - and get ready for new horizons! :D 

• Like 6

Instead of releasing a new server because one is full of deeds, there should be a minimum playtime requirement to make a deed. 12-24h played maybe? At the very least, this should be in place for a few months after the server launches, and then removed later when things stabilize. Right now, the server is full of random tokens dropped by people who bought that discount package, but then realized the game isnt for them and quit or have not been seen since they made their deed. 

Same goes for vets, a lot of them just made alts and quickly deeded a place just in case for the future as they play on their mains. 

Edited by atazs

4 minutes ago, atazs said:

IMO i think there should be a minimum playtime requirement to make a deed. Right now, the server is full of random tokens dropped by people who bought that discount package, but then realized the game isnt for them and quit.

And what should they be doing while they are waiting out this minimum playtime  for permission to make a deed?

Oh, right, they can join a big village where they are assigned to chipping bricks for the mayor's next big mega vanity project! What fun!

But wait, wouldn't that mean the mayors also have to wait to make the deed for their big village? 

So for 12-72 hours or whatever, everyone is wandering around the tutorial over and over?

• Like 2
  • Cat 1

1 minute ago, Kelody said:

Encouragement is not forcing. It doesn't imply punishment.

but why shoudl be any encouragment? why favour one playstyle over the other? when they try to disadvantage you because you don't play  game as they want it almost equals to punishment

1 minute ago, atazs said:

IMO i think there should be a minimum playtime requirement to make a deed. Right now, the server is full of random tokens dropped by people who bought that discount package, but then realized the game isnt for them and quit.

why, so people make alts and use them for making deed? same as people using alts for linking to grind chanelling because someone thought to encourage people to play together instead to provide normal means of grind channeling solo with coc like everything else. Those deed will drop in 3 months if belongs to players that quit.

• Like 1

Welcome Cadence, but I really think connecting all the servers now by a boat ride might be better in order to spread people out. When I log into Release, there are between 9 and 20 players typically, and it's similar on many of the old servers. 9 of 1900 is a very out of balance number. Let the economies and players now merge instead of making more servers.  A natural balance and equilibrium will then come about. Extra servers, if then deemed necessary, could be reached by any server by boat and the natural equilibrium continues uninterrupted.

Edited by Alpengeist
  • Like 1
  • Cat 1

4 minutes ago, atazs said:

IMO i think there should be a minimum playtime requirement to make a deed. That would certainly weed out those who are actually interested in this game, and those who think its not for them. 

I think a better solution to the problem would be for the standard initial deed package to not include 3 months' upkeep.

• Like 3
  • Cat 1

Just now, Brash_Endeavors said:

And what should they be doing while they are waiting out this minimum playtime  for permission to make a deed?

Oh, right, they can join a big village where they are assigned to chipping bricks for the mayor's next big mega vanity project! What fun!

But wait, wouldn't that mean the mayors also have to wait to make the deed for their big village?

They can learn the game, the basics, find a nice place for the future deed, etc... 12-24h played is not a lot. It would stop veterans from bumrushing the best places immedietly as well.

Nobody is forcing anybody to make bricks, if they don't want to, they don't have to. They can look for another village or just say no. I've been in plenty of villages with newbies and vets, i never saw any mayors forcing anyone to do anything they did not want to do or did not like doing.

Edited by atazs

3 minutes ago, Sheffie said:

I think a better solution to the problem would be for the standard initial deed package to not include 3 months' upkeep.

Most new/inexperienced players add a guard which cuts that down to 45 days or less. At 30 days, they start getting accelerated decay on deed. I think the guard is the default.

So that is closer to two weeks before decay starts in. After that they can choose their own upkeep options.

• Like 1