Sign in to follow this  
Zekezor

Increase bow/archery gains.

The suggestion is simple. Increase early-game bow/archery gains vs living targets.

Comparable to other weapon skills archery is super slow to grind past 45.

New people shouldn't need 70ql bows with 70ql strings with 70ql arrows with 70ql learning enchants and 70ql nimbleness to get "okay" gains.

It's an important skill for pvp and shouldn't be this hard to get.

• Like 5

Weaponsmithing is 5x slower than other imping skills.

Archery should be 5x slower than fight skill.

These folk want to hit 70 archery and bow skill in 1 week of grinding with no enchants and very low quality gear.

Please make Archery 5x slower than fight skill.

My archery on old freedom is like 48 so i would defo be helped by a skill gain buff too but it would be ridiculous to gain 90 archery and 90 bow skill in like 1 month with low gear and no enchants  then just make 15ql arrows and kill everything from 30 tiles away.

Next they will want to change shield skill gain.

Then they will say longsword is too slow.

Then they will say taming is too slow.

Then they will say body str and stam is too slow.

Then they will say a gain of 1 Mind Logic level on every boot of the client launcher should be in order since they use the steam client :)

You are not supposed to be fully pvp combat ready in under 1 month of rolling a toon and playing 2-3h /day, i agree that it should not take  you  3-4 years of grind and alot of money spent on tomes to catch up to high end pvp toons either so i guess the balance should be  found by the devs somewhere in between but at the end of the day is the ammount of effort and knowledge each player puts in and has that will decide how quickly they raise the level of a skill.

6 minutes ago, RainRain said:

shields first but also this yes

3 minutes ago, Cipacadrinho said:

Next they will want to change shield skill gain.

🙃

• Like 1

Archery could do with help early on, but buffing skillgain entirely i don't agree with, as archery skillgain ramps up hard once you're able to hit mobs reliably (medium bow is much better than long bow for grinding archery pre-70 btw). I did always feel that bow/arrow/string ql should be ql curved like weapons and armor are to help the pit that is starting out archery, and reduce the need to imp arrows to absurd ql's to be remotely useful

• Like 2

Real talk tho: if you guys think Archery is slow then you will burn out and quit Wurm in the next month :)  the devs won't even have time to design and implement a faster Archery system 😂

I just want clarification it is intended before I attempt to commit to grinding it. I'd like to hear the Devs thoughts behind the slower gains so I don't have to assume it's bugged.

Having archery hard does allow people to mess around with different builds without being super punished (dual weapons). 

I also like the idea of having people proficient in archery where you really need to commit to the grind. Like priests you have to sacrifice a lot to have those abilities. 

7 minutes ago, Moondevil said:

I just want clarification it is intended before I attempt to commit to grinding it. I'd like to hear the Devs thoughts behind the slower gains so I don't have to assume it's bugged.

Having archery hard does allow people to mess around with different builds without being super punished (dual weapons). 

I also like the idea of having people proficient in archery where you really need to commit to the grind. Like priests you have to sacrifice a lot to have those abilities. 

If you want pvp with fast skill gain just roll on the Epic cluster.

22 minutes ago, RainRain said:

shields first but also this yes

31 minutes ago, Groot said:

+1

its brutal

42 minutes ago, Zekezor said:

The suggestion is simple. Increase early-game bow/archery gains vs living targets.

Comparable to other weapon skills archery is super slow to grind past 45.

New people shouldn't need 70ql bows with 70ql strings with 70ql arrows with 70ql learning enchants and 70ql nimbleness to get "okay" gains.

It's an important skill for pvp and shouldn't be this hard to get.

1 minute ago, Cipacadrinho said:

I prefer the newbies being able to join up into pvp properely and not just the seasoned vets like myself.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Cipacadrinho said:

The problem with shield skill isn't even speed; once you can block reliably, grinding at 50+ skill is extremely fast. The problem is that 1. Tick frequency is based off how difficult it is to block a creature and 2. Tick size is based off the actual damage blocked and 3. Pen training is specifically limited to only work for 15 minutes or so out of every (2?) hours.

This means that early on, even with good fightskill, you can only reliably blocks creatures with low FS, of which almost all of them don't actually hit very hard (i'm talking ticks of .02 at 1 skill). Even if you block a creature that hits hard, you will only rarely gain ticks while also suffering a beating since you're blocking a creature that, well, hits hard.

It picks up once you can block hardhitting creatures often, but the start of it is slow.

15 minutes ago, Oblivionnreaver said:

Archery could do with help early on, but buffing skillgain entirely i don't agree with, as archery skillgain ramps up hard once you're able to hit mobs reliably (medium bow is much better than long bow for grinding archery pre-70 btw). I did always feel that bow/arrow/string ql should be ql curved like weapons and armor are to help the pit that is starting out archery, and reduce the need to imp arrows to absurd ql's to be remotely useful

Kind of agree actually; it feels like the problem for both skills are that early skillgain (aside from target practice for archery ofc) is extremely slow until it just picks up suddenly. I bet i could gamble that this is a result of a snap decision nerf on the skillgain for both of these skills made at some point during epic's history to stop people from using certain strategies, and the birth of a new server is exposing how awful it is early :)

• Like 1

I agree that curving arrow/bow quality early on to help with accuracy would be beneficial. The grind is currently too slow for anyone to really bother training it up, especially new players. 

I mean, imagine you just hit 30 longbow skill and 45 archery on an archery target and you decide to go out hunting with your newbie 20-30ql arrows/bow to get your skill up further. After shooting a quiver of arrows (41) at a mob with your longbow, maybe 5 have hit and at least half a dozen arrows have broke. The mob you’re trying to archer down is still alive and fleeing for the 20th time and you’ve about had it with archery. 

You think anyone is going to waste their time trying to grind a skill like that?