Sign in to follow this  
olafhairybreeks

Petition to increase spawns on Harmony

What the title says really! We have an almost unprecedented population of players on Harmony, all searching for livestock to keep and mobs to practice fs on. As a result, apart from high level creatures like lava spiders, hell scorpions and crocodiles, the number of animals found in the wild is extremely low. Players like me looking for livestock are having to go on huge trips to perhaps find a single cow that's been lucky enough to survive the players skilling fs. This also puts new players coming in at a disadvantage, as they'd be extremely lucky to find anything to pull their carts. I also know of some people who had a locked off deed pen broken into and all their livestock killed, presumably by someone skilling. So please, please can we have upped spawn rates on Harmony? Even if it's just for a while it would be very useful for breeders, skillers and new players. Pretty please?

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

You shuld start buring corpses. For some reason it incress respawn. We have deductet around 2013 a larg experiment on Desertion with around 10 People and multiple days of hunting in diffrent regions to tests this. Current theory we want to test is if pickup and drop is enough to clear the spawncap to (get the ownership from the corps and remove it from the server) but with the hight fluctation we have currently on people who are hunting this is not possible. So yeah bury corpses help to. On top go north the pathfinding allgorithm has a slightly noth prefference so its more likely for creatures and monsters to wander north. If its in hard to get regions or if ther is water in the way you end up with huge collection of mobs on a few points(until they starv or die to age).

46 minutes ago, John said:

How does the north coast look?

Trying to find out! It's a long trip on a slow horse.

EDIT I should add that what I've seen is steppes and other spawning areas emptying in a  matter of a couple of days. The one by me had many animals when I first moved in. First the horses disappeared, then the cows and sheep. For a while it was just bison and hell horses left, now it's almost completely empty. This suggests to me that they were taken or killed depending on how useful they are and how easy they are to kill, rather than migrating north. Heck if they'd all migrated I would have seen a lot come through my deed! I've also heard a lot of fighting from the steppe.

Edited by olafhairybreeks
Info
  • Like 1

I assume all the sweaty neck-beard uber-geeks are roaming Harmony on their newly acquired 0 trait grey horses in order to kill anything that their 30ql huge axes can slice through...

Isn't there a chart of animal counts on servers?

1 hour ago, John said:

How does the north coast look?

The North-East Coast has 100 animals per Tile....

Edited by Caduryn

1 hour ago, olafhairybreeks said:

EDIT I should add that what I've seen is steppes and other spawning areas emptying in a  matter of a couple of days. The one by me had many animals when I first moved in. First the horses disappeared, then the cows and sheep. For a while it was just bison and hell horses left, now it's almost completely empty. This suggests to me that they were taken or killed depending on how useful they are and how easy they are to kill, rather than migrating north. Heck if they'd all migrated I would have seen a lot come through my deed! I've also heard a lot of fighting from the steppe.

Someone else posted in these forums that they and friends deliberately killed every single animal in one of the steppe, then were upset because they waited "several days" for the steppe to respawn so they could kill more, but none of the animals reappeared.   We have a lot of VERY competitive players on the new servers, including some gearing up for an eventual move to PVP Defiance where a high fight skill is critical.

I do not think the server code has anything along the lines of "hmm 35 animals in this steppe, 0 now so lets  respawn 35 more."  I think it just respawns at random, eligible tiles around the entire server, and if steppes make up a small minority of the full server area, those steppes get a very small share of new respawns between them. Some may take a long long long time to see animals in any great numbers again.   Some of the respawn might even be coming back as sea life -- sharks, octopus, dolphins, whales -- that players rarely ever see, and even rarer will go hunt, but if there is an empty "eligible" tile it might be where the next spawned animal happens. In fact I suspect some of those deep inland areas where players are not settling, and are NOT great hunting because the dense tree cover and rugged terrain makes it more dangerous, are perhaps getting the bulk of new spawns.  I am on a coastal area and have had what I consider a "sufficient" number of new spawns in my area -- trolls, spiders, champion spiders, champion unicorns, sheep, horses, wolves. Not a lot of them, but something new every day. 

I think the bulk of animals just might not be where players "want" them to be -- ie, the steppes and other favored  'hunting zones", where there is plenty of open field of view to avoid anything actually dangerous.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Change your petition to "Fix the AI bug responsible for animals moving north more often than any other direction" and I'll sign.

Been here since 2012 at least. Increasing spawns will just be a temporary fix.

I still wonder if it's 2 issues. I've seen the corpses and heard the combat. But it would appear that respawning isn't happening at a reasonable rate, whether on the steppe or not. Also I find it hard to believe that all the livestock in the south could migrate en masse up north in the period of a few days!

I believe that the spawn is "working". The game is in fact spawning new creatures but in the north, on top of high mountains and places of difficult access.  
The line D on the map has several clusters of creatures, aggressive and non-aggressive.

The deed I live is next to a huge steppe in J24,  the place has been dead for several days.  The sea in the region is full of seals 

Here you can see some screens from the region (D Line)

Spoiler

VnaXfXw.jpg

Spoiler

Zh1ZSYk.jpg

Spoiler

8rYrUc7.jpg

Spoiler

AozEUsy.jpg

Has more creatures than you see in the pictures, I took just a few screens.

So looks like the game is spawning new creatures, but unfortunately in a specific areas ( C, D, E lines on the map) and not spread across the map and in regions that should have a higher frequency of spawn like the steppe.  As these northern areas are crowded of animals and monsters and almost nobody there to kill, capture the server cap must reach the limit and the other areas have no spawn until these creatures die of old age or otherwise.  

I see in all streams people complaining about not having spawn but, they are spawning at the correct rate, but unfortunately in the same place away from everything and everyone.

It's not something easy to fix, but it's indeed a problem, around harmony bay there's nothing alive for miles, except maybe some things that are too hard to kill, i managed to find 2 bulls and 2 horses for my carts in 3 weeks

Don't animals mostly respawn in places other than where they were killed in order to encourage people to roam the server for hunting? if almost nobody is hunting in those areas with a lot of creatures then that would explain why they keep spawning there.