Sign in to follow this  
Limewood

[Workaround found] Steam launcher crashes on startup

I'm having trouble starting the Steam launcher on Linux (Ubuntu 20.04), which I did not have on another computer running Ubuntu 19.04 (or maybe it's 19.10).
The little splash logo shows up for half a second, then goes away for several seconds, only to show up again right before a segmentation fault.

I tried reinstalling Wurm and still get the issue.

I also tried setting the Prime profile in Nvidia X server settings to:

1) "Performance mode"

2) "On demand" with "NV_PRIME_RENDER_OFFLOAD=1 GLX_VENDOR_LIBRARY_NAME=nvidia" added in the Steam launch options

The issue is the same with any of them.

The computer is a new MSI laptop with an Nvidia RTX 2060 graphics card (switchable graphics).

It does have very little RAM at the moment (8Gb), since the store was out of fitting RAM this morning.

Wurm worked fine on my old laptop (integrated Intel graphics >10 years old) and on my desktop (Nvidia GTX 750 Ti).

Added info: The Wurm Online Steam install folder contains the following:

gamedata/packs/ : graphics.jar pmk.jar sound.jar

linux64/runtime/ : bin lib main plugin folders, plus a few text files about copyrights and licences.

WurmLauncher executable

Verifying integrity of game files on Steam confirms it's all ok.

I also tested Wurm Unlimited and it works fine, both the launcher and the game.

Has anyone else had this kind of problem on Linux or does someone know how to find the core dump/logs for Steam Wurm online, so I can find out more?

Edited by Limewood
Tested Wurm Unlimited

1 hour ago, Limewood said:

The computer is a new MSI laptop with an Nvidia RTX 2060 graphics card (switchable graphics).

edit: you also might check whether this helps:

1) This may be what you already said you did with NVidia X server settings and Steam launcher parameters,  I am not too familiar with Linux/Steam terminology. My apologies if you just said you did this. Many of the laptop switchable drivers cannot differentiate java games vs java office apps. As a result, any java program gets assigned a "battery saving" usage, ie the intel graphics. On Windows, I know NVidia and ATI have graphic control panels where you can either set it to always use the dedicated gaming card, or at least (under 3D Settings/Programs), specifically assign the dedicated card to wurm.   I decided this is what you just said you did, I had to ponder the terms a bit ^_^ I am getting old, sorry. 

2) People often end up with both 32 and 64 bit java installed on their systems, especially if they used a 32-bit browser to download/install. I know Linux uses a different method to install things so not sure about Java. Usually, I suggest people uninstall ALL versions of java, reinstall ONLY the manual offline version found here: https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp  Scroll down the the appropriate Linux 64 version. This might be more a windows issue as windows users probably all install through their browser, and Linux users might never do that.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Thank you so much for replying!

1) Yes, that's what I did, sadly it made no difference.

2) I only have Oracle Java 14 64-bit installed from Oracle through a repo package (so not downloaded with a browser), but I thought Java was packaged in the Wurm client now?

3) Unfortunately the amdgpu-pro-libgl package is for AMD Radeon graphics cards, so it won't work for my Nvidia card. I couldn't find anything similar for Nvidia. I'm using the proprietary Nvidia driver metapackage from nvidia-driver-440.

I'm trying to think what else it could be, except maybe the low RAM, but I can't think of much without the logs, which I can't find.

Thank you very much for the suggestions, it's unfortunate that they did not end up working.

Yeah, doh, I should have noticed the amdgpu-pro-libgl would not be related to an nvidia setup.

I'd think 8G ram should be ok. It should at least load, then possibly have issues after an extended period if it were RAM. I think there are others here playing without issue on 8G (even though 16 or 32 is obviously better). 

Do you happen to be connecting through a work/school network? Are all of the computers (other laptop/desktop) connecting through a home internet?  There was another person once whose work had specifically blocked connecting to certain hosts that were associated with "suspect" activities. Like Games 😛

People have also had issues in the past with a firewall. 

Sometimes in the past, having a launcher start then vanish indicated it was having issues connecting to the game update server.

Do you have a console.charactername.log taht might show where the issue is occurring? I think the connection issues ones would list "unknown" for some of the steps.

Are you using the same DNS name server for all of the computers? Sometimes people have issues resolving the host name for the updating server, especially if their ISP is a little slow on updating changes. If all of your computers use identical DNS lookup, that should not be the issue. 

edit: are you using any sort of RDP/remote desktop protocol? There was a case where someone was, it turned out the remote desktop protocol was not capable of handling openGL.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I'm connected to a residential fiber network (over WiFi), via an AP extender, but I also tried connecting directly to the network and had the same issue.

The firewall is set up to accept on all ports.

I can't find any logs and since I can't log in, as the game crashes before the launcher shows up, the local install doesn't know about my character.

I'm using this computer in a different location and I'm unsure about which ISP the network belongs to, but I haven't changed the DNS, it should be the default ISP DNS.

I'm not using a remote desktop connection.

I did found out something new at least - when I tried to run the WurmLauncher executable with sudo (root privileges), it started an update, but after the update was complete, I got the error that Steam was not found (as I was running it outside of Steam).

Thank you so much for your help! Due to the update working with sudo, I'm thinking it may have something to do with file permissions, but I installed Steam the regular way and Wurm Unlimited works fine.

Wurm Online still crashes before the launcher shows up if I try to launch it through Steam.

This is kind of interesting. 

2 minutes ago, Limewood said:

I did found out something new at least - when I tried to run the WurmLauncher executable with sudo (root privileges), it started an update, but after the update was complete, I got the error that Steam was not found (as I was running it outside of Steam). ... Wurm Online still crashes before the launcher shows up if I try to launch it through Steam.

Tried reinstalling Steam as well as the game again, still the same issue.

Updated the graphics drivers to version 450, still crashes.

Found out some more info using valgrind on the Wurm Online launcher from the website (just launching it causes the same crash as the Steam launcher):

After a download progress bar dialog, I get a dialog with the error: "can't open file '' (error 2: No such file or directory)".

The first time I got another dialog as well that says "Failed to update Java runtime. Check your internet connection and firewall settings, or try downloading the game again at https://wurmonline.com/".

Edited by Limewood

Installing the game in /opt instead of the normal Steam location (in my home folder), yielded a crash report notification with the following information (among other things):

Title:

WurmLauncher crashed with SIGSEGV in LauncherApp::OnInit()

SegvAnalysis:

Segfault happened at: 0x1641a60: add %al,0x64(%rdx)

PC (0x01641a60) in non-executable VMA region: 0x0153b000-0x01751000 rw-p [heap]

source "%al" ok

destination "0x64(%rdx)" (0x7f00546eb754) in non-writable VMA region: 0x7f00546e3000-0x7f00546ee000 r--p /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6.0.28

SegvReason:

executing writable VMA [heap]

writing VMA /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/libstdc++.so.6.0.28

Signal:

StacktraceTop:

?? ()

LauncherApp:OnInit (this=0x1588dd0) at ../LauncherApp.cpp:216

wxEntry(int&, wchar_t**) ()

main (argc=<optimized out>, argv=<optimized out>) at ../LauncherApp.cpp:62

Decided to try installing Ubuntu 19.10 instead to see if it made a difference and the launcher works without problems.

The client also seems to work fine, so it was probably a problem with the libstdc++6 library version (version 10-20200411 for 20.04 and 9.2.1 in 19.10).

Not sure what can be done about it in the client/launcher, but at least Ubuntu users can know to avoid updating to 20.04 until it works.

I'm on 20.04, and downloading the latest (non-JNLP) client on the website fixed this for me.  Seems fine now.

I faced the same steam launcher crashes problem with my laptop. I have been searching laptop repair service center for getting the solution. If anyone has any information then suggest to me.

Yeah this sucks.  I am on Ubuntu 20.04.  Steam version doesn't work, obviously.  I downloaded the Wurm Online linux64 tarball and installed Oracle Java 1.8.  That segfaults too.  Out of options I guess...

OK so, I tried forcing Proton "compatibility mode" for Wurm Online in Linux, using 5.13-5... same basic result.  But I installed Proton-GE (GloriousEggroll, google for it) and Wurm Online runs!  It's very slow until assets load... like, less than 1FPS.  You have to watch it stutter for 5 minutes.  Then it starts working smoothly, but performance is definitely not "OK".  I might try to take this to some Proton/GE forums and see if we can't get a workaround here.

I have a feeling there is a glibc6 incompatibility between the existing Wurm Online distribution files (Steam version AND the standalone from Wurm's website) that will require a recompile on the company's part.  This isn't something that can be fixed by the end-user if you are using an Ubuntu 20.04-based Linux distribution.