Sign in to follow this  
munster

Scripted enforced delay on trade chat messages

Here on the northern servers, at least, occasionally CA's/CM's will come into trade chat and politely beg people to delay their posts 20 minutes, which to my view is a nice gesture that does absolutely nothing.

It's a self-perpetuating spiral. One person starts spamming more often, leads other people to spam more often, which leads to a trade channel which is mostly useless for anybody actually following the 'suggestion' rules.

Solution: Code a forced delay, one message per account (not per alt), per whatever (20 minutes, etc). Problem solved. Everybody has some space in the trade chat, makes someone think about and craft a consolidated trade text, and it doesn't spam by like a stock market ticker.

While you're at it, spin off PC into a separate channel. It has no business on trade. Trade should be strictly for offering to sell or buy something. PC just causes big spammy arguments between players about what something should cost, when most of them aren't the least bit involved in the sale or purchase. Just witnessed 10 minutes of bickering about the price of a smelter, none of which involved anybody actually offering to sell a smelter.

Please fix this channel.

• Like 1

In case you don't have time to pay attention to your game's communication channels, here's a nice excerpt from today. This happens too often.

VASWAeQ.png

I agree that limiting posting frequency might be helpful. Banning price check from chat would not, in my opinion. It would rather lead to circumventions like "wtb x if you tell your price" or so. Obviously, a stricter moderation of the chat would be helpful though.

When limiting posting frequency, what did you have in mind? A minute, 2 minutes, more, less? A too long frequency might lead to alt use for spamming messages.

16 minutes ago, Ekcin said:

A too long frequency might lead to alt use for spamming messages.

...WILL lead to alt use spamming messages. And will also interfere with actual exchange of information - it'd be a real PITA to have to PM someone because they ask for something, but you're on Cooldown in Trade. Once, no big deal, but regularly, continually? Noway. 

While I agree that the arguments over pricing are a pain in the ass and a distraction against actual trading, it's hard not to break the rules yourself just to get them to shut up. And it's not like complaining about them in Global will have ANY effect on them in Trade. 

PC is Price Check, not Pound Chests. State what you think the PC'ed item is worth, and STFU about its value, its history, what it goes for on Xanadu, etc. 

Any reasonable person could assume using alternate accounts to get around rules would be no different from breaking them, and remedied accordingly. Limiting alts on the same account is about as trivial a programming task as "hello, world". Banning a player that uses multi-accounts that purposefully dodge rules should be a no-brainer.

PC could be a separate channel, as mentioned earlier, so those of us who don't wish the spam but still use trade could opt to turn it off. It doesn't need to be part of trade. The debaters who want to argue about  how supply and demand works could entertain each other there.

If people used the tools they were given, a PC in trade would be the only thing you see. If someone does a PC, you can @ them and answer their question. They get their answer in Trade instead of a dozen PM's and nobody else sees it.

Edited by zethreal

1 hour ago, Antony said:

Waiting for that wurm trade site to make trade chat irrelevant.

It already exists:

https://wurmtrade.com/

You and everyone else who wants it needs to spread the word, educate other people, and encourage them to use it. Without people spreading the word, you won't get the results you're looking for.

I know, but I'm waiting for it to become more widely used. Like https://poe.trade/, nobody uses trade chat in PoE anymore cause of the site, and I think wurmtrade is really well put together and could do the same.