Sign in to follow this  
Zander

The Melody Highway Project

I’ve noticed highways on established/veteran servers tend to be a bit chaotic/organic and at times, not easy to navigate. Because of the odd shape and wide bodied water ways on Melody, would it be beneficial to start discussing proposed land routes across the map? 

Roaming the map, it appears people have begun their own highway sections to accommodate their own deeds and needs. Factoring in map terrain elevations, shortest possible routes and contribution from the community villages surrounding these possible highway locations, what’s the best way to coordinate this plan and what proposals do you have to bring to the table in order to begin construction once people are satisfied with their deed situations?

I know this is not a simple question or  discussion but one I thought people might be intrigued to start thinking about.

Edited by Zander
Grammar
  • Like 1

I would recommend genuine "high" major highways.  Elevated roads running as much as possible in straight lines.  They wouldn't have to be elevated much, just so that they literally stand out a bit.  Let them run past deeds as much as possible instead of through the middle, so villages and such can have their own little road networks that are not hampered by or hampering the highways.

Some ideas for planning (while it may still be somewhat possible);  I reckon pick some grid size (e.g. 3 or 4 ingame map grids) and designate that as a nominal minimum distance between parallel highways. For example, designate the 8,12,16,20 and 24 as the grid columns for NS major highway and e,g,k,o and s as the grid rows for WE major highways.  Maybe nominate the borders instead of the centres and ask for objections to see if you are going to pave over anyone.  Plant signs or markers of some sort so people know where a highway is intended.

I guess one way to avoid having people plonk their farms and buildings right in the path of a highway is to build them on the terrain that is more difficult for this - although I am not sure how to best judge that.    Set them back from coastlines, except for access roads.  Maybe a very basic roadway first (i.e. 2 tiles wide in whatever pavement is easiest) to allocate the alignment, then go back and build it out to the full width desired.

All pure brainstorming; take or leave as you want.

Edited by TheTrickster

I am working on a two lane highway in front of my deed slowly. I’m on the east side of the middle lake. I think it would be good to have one coastal or a bridge going across

Any major highway builds that happen on the eastern part of the map, I'm down to help with. I don't have enough time to do much in the way of organizing, but I can put in some time and labor. Pretty rough terrain over here, so it'll be an interesting challenge. 

where working on a Highway from R20 to overture. Everyone in that area can be connected if they want to.

• Like 1

I propose a coastal highway around the NW.  I've already got one around my deed. Think I've convinced the neighbor to connect to it. 

On 8/18/2020 at 9:36 PM, Wardogs411 said:

where working on a Highway from R20 to overture. Everyone in that area can be connected if they want to.

Do you have an idea how far north it will go? I'm up around M/N 20 and might work south to connect eventually

Janthir (NE L17) has connected to the N-S highway in the 15 column. The road runs from overture up to at least G15. People dont seem to be in any hurry to hook up. I know Hoonsuit is actively working on getting it connected to Overture and it lokks like it may happen by end of week.

I have a small highway system in the Center North. I am working on getting it connected to another system further south. I need permission from 3 deeds (help would be appreciated too). Appleshire, Jadewood Canal and Blackmere Hospice.

Anyone wanting to connect, wanting to help, or can put me in contact with those 3 deeds, I can be reached as Sarya. I posted the highway in the Melody map (not yet updated).

all finished highways should be posted in the community map thread, to ensure they are added to the map.

6 hours ago, Kelody said:

I need permission from 3 deeds (help would be appreciated too). Appleshire, Jadewood Canal and Blackmere Hospice.

Two of those deed owners can be found on Melody discord. Check the mayor list once you join the server to find what users own what deed.

Edited by Zander

i intend to do something like this 

s17hKDOdT327hzTaqK7KUQ.png

the vertical part is free of settlements at this point and the horizontal one is passing trough my deed and a neighbor deed  to the west where it turns south, thre will be another one going south from my place( left of the T junction) and probably unite with the main one further south, main reason for that is that the one i just posted kinda goes down hill to get to my neighbor then back uphill towards south, i could try and implement the diagonal part in the north and have a straight south line.

the only problem so far is that i have a neighbor to the east of me that seem to have quit and i have no clue how much upkeep is in his token as the deed was fairly big first day i got there and rarely seen him on. if he doesn't show up i will go trough the mountain a bit further south and have our deeds be just a plug in.