Sign in to follow this  
Hanel

Mobs North vs Mobs South

I can travel long distances in the center and south of the map and find very few mobs. But in the north they are everywhere. You can't spit without hitting a spider. This has been the case with this game for as long as I remember. How can this persist for so long and never be addressed?

You're overlooking some key variables such as as biomes (desert vs steppe vs woodlands) and deed/player density. Most people don't move to the harsher areas, and even the few that do don't make a huge dent in tougher creatures population yet. 

• Like 2

7 hours ago, Hanel said:

Overlooking nothing. 

Only the important things.

• Like 3

Between Harmony Bay and Heartland is a large mountain range along the coast. Going from that mountain range to the brown patch farthest east there were very few mobs of any kind at all unless it was desert or steppe. And you can count the deeds on one hand. Going from the south coast of the inland sea north of Harmony Bay to the north coast there are a very large number of mobs of every kind. If you take several days to do the walking you can see for yourself. Not expecting anyone to because it's easier to deny.  So yeah, mob density is badly uneven regardless of player population. 

Just now, Hanel said:

Between Harmony Bay and Heartland is a large mountain range along the coast. Going from that mountain range to the brown patch farthest east there were very few mobs of any kind at all unless it was desert or steppe. And you can count the deeds on one hand. Going from the south coast of the inland sea north of Harmony Bay to the north coast there are a very large number of mobs of every kind. If you take several days to do the walking you can see for yourself. Not expecting anyone to because it's easier to deny.  So yeah, mob density is badly uneven regardless of player population. Not my broken game. 

This is a situation with pretty much all servers, North or South Freedom. It's a bug basically as far as I know that they haven't figured out in years.

This has been an issue for years.  It was looked into and nothing was done.

All animals migrate, slowly, with a bias to the NW, it was perhaps most obvious when Xanadu opened, within weeks the south was empty, while the NW was fine. Even now, anyone who’s run a WU server will tell you, animals crammed into peninsulas when they can’t get any further NW. It’s made worse of course by hordes of new players intent on collecting animals for carts and riding, food and fight skill. 

the solution would be to tweak animal movement code, again, with possibly unknown results, ( do we really want a repeat of the lakes full of dogs we had on Exodus? Or the mountains crammed with basically everything? ).

Living in the generally NW quadrant of Harmony (a bit east of Heartland), I'd expect to see alot of mobs if they're all coming here.

In reality, I just see a moderate amount, fairly average considering how many players are on Harmony and out hunting to improve their skills and supplies.

Spiders seem to be the most common where I'm at.

Footnote: For farm animals, though, it seems like it's sheep sheep sheep everywhere!

Edited by Tristanc
  • Like 1

This has nothing to do with biomes its just something thats wrong with code/servers was same way on xanadu forever.

Fir the veterans, it has long been known (especially on Xan) that the north was 'the meat grinder'.  It is the reason some of us took the treacherous walk north on Day 1 on Harmony. Yes, there are lots of mobs up here.  Not many domestics. It is the life you choose. Want safety and to farm? Stay south.  Want deadly encounters with every step you take, trying to eke out  a meager living while your stam bar can only regen halfway because of injuries and no cotton due to the (seemingly) glacial pace crops are growing?  (THIS is an issue that perhaps needs to be looked into). Then Come up where the Eskimos play (BTW it isn't a bug, it's an undocumented feature)!!

Edited by Aerinwold
content
  • Cat 1

I was thinking today about the simplest way to solve this issue.  When I was making mods for WU, I remember coming across logic that had mobs move -1x, -1y to much.  This is what cause them to pile up in the north.  If you just added a bool to the mobs in the database, say MigrationDirection and every time they hit the top the bool would flip and you would send 1x, 1y instead.  This should just make the mobs go up and down until they die.

On 8/15/2020 at 7:06 PM, Ascorbic said:

I was thinking today about the simplest way to solve this issue.  When I was making mods for WU, I remember coming across logic that had mobs move -1x, -1y to much.  This is what cause them to pile up in the north.  If you just added a bool to the mobs in the database, say MigrationDirection and every time they hit the top the bool would flip and you would send 1x, 1y instead.  This should just make the mobs go up and down until they die.

I think this was confirmed as the exact issue, the code prioritizes moving -x,-y first and if it can't it tries another direction, so on and so forth.  IIRC years ago they tried to fix it but it messed everything up but I may be wrong.

• Like 1

I've heard stories of the attempted fix, something about lakes full of dogs?

• Like 2

And mountains sides wall to wall beasts. It was a mess.

Maybe once they fix the creature migration they can figure out why things like reeds, kelp, and even tundra are more likely to spread to the east than any other direction

can only agree on northern part of harmony there is alot of mobs, even think several lairs of different kinds in a small area. Lots of spiders, crocs, scorps, trolls, goblins. Think we even have several lairs close by eachother since we have seen different kinds of champs close to our deed or coming into deed. 

On 8/17/2020 at 8:50 AM, Chez said:

I've heard stories of the attempted fix, something about lakes full of dogs?

That was on Exodus, when in an attempt to stop animals congregating on hills and mountainsides a fix to movement heralded a rush to the bottom instead, it was noted in areas with dog holes ( when dogs had lairs) that all the lakes were full of dogs, and wolves in particular. Also mines attracted mobs which would get stuck in walls and gates making mining a real adventure...

Plenty jokes about dogfish and pool parties abounded.

• Like 1
  • Cat 1

We have not made the effort to eradicate all the creatures in the north.  There is still far too many!

On 8/24/2020 at 8:35 PM, sweatygopher said:

We have not made the effort to eradicate all the creatures in the north.  There is still far too many!

And those havent been roaming to south either.

i once died on my main by autowalk in the south part of Harmony and re spawned at Harmony bay and walked all the way back to south side without seeing a single mob, nothing and i've passed trough all biomes, woods,sand,steppe just no mobs in sight, also the "all deeded" doesn't stand here as i was trough some truly wild parts and still no mobs in sight.

earlier today i had to find a mob to sacrifice on priest  for the journal entry... i've wander'd like 20 min into the desert to find a crocodile and then spend another 10 min to kite it all way back so tower guards could help me kill it..

it's still a mistery to me why they can't fix them for good for so many years of tweaking , i mean how is it so hard to add a line of code where if next move results in current mob going in an area where there are lots of other mobs just roll the dice again. if that holds then the outer layers of mobs will spread  then the inners and so on and they are evenly spaced in the end.

ofcourse there must be some exceptions coded in also where if they roll the dice a number of times without success just pick a random direction and keep walking. for me it looks like the exception was that instead of picking a random direction they just move north. also they have to find a way to make them come out of mines, a lot of aggro get stuck in mines .