Sign in to follow this  
Nukacola

Give mortar a 100% success rate!

As the title says, give mortar a 100% success rate. I don't understand why mortar doesn't have a 100% success rate like stone bricks, planks, small and large nails, etc.

• Like 2

Honestly yes, this is a very basic material that you need a ridiculous amount of for simple things, like bricks and planks and all the other things that got moved to be 100%.  I see no reason Mortar shouldn't also follow this logic.

• Like 1

+1

You need truckloads of the stuff. It's essentially the counterpart to bricks.

This absolutely should have a 100% succes rate.

3 minutes ago, Thalorane said:

Should everything in the game have guaranteed success?

No. No one's suggesting this, the post SPECIFCALLY states Mortar, a material that is needed in incredibly large amounts. No one is suggesting that everything be given 100% chance, and the argument that if we give this 100% chance we'll soon give everything 100% chance is completely inane, if you're going to do a -1 at least give something that resembled a solid argument.

+1

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, ThatGuyGW said:

No. No one's suggesting this, the post SPECIFCALLY states Mortar, a material that is needed in incredibly large amounts. No one is suggesting that everything be given 100% chance, and the argument that if we give this 100% chance we'll soon give everything 100% chance is completely inane, if you're going to do a -1 at least give something that resembled a solid argument.

+1

I read and understood the post.  I simply didn't view it as needing a detailed reply.  I offered my opinion, and here is my argument.

Mortar is needed for building masonry structures.  The success rate is based on largely masonry skill.  It is not required for character survival in Wurm, much as a wooden shack can be critical for a beginning character.  So what's being asked is that an essentially cosmetic item be given a guaranteed success rate.

Removing the chance of failure, as has been done with other materials, simply allows characters without skill to produce those items.  There's no higher tier of construction above brick and mortar so there's really nothing else to achieve in masonry except larger bridges.  Concrete is a different subject altogether.  With regard to trade, the average price of materials has dropped in the old servers, particularly for items with guaranteed success rates.

Much of my gaming enjoyment in Wurm comes from grinding skills, and I think this is true for other players as well.  When you remove that mechanic from any item, you remove the sense of satisfaction that comes from working a skill until you can achieve a goal.  This lessens the overall game experience.  I think it also tells a player who invested time and effort to work a skill that the time was wasted, which in my opinion is not a good business model for retaining those players.

• Like 2

-1 I grinded masonry on some alts just to be more successful in making mortar. Giving mats 100% success devalues peoples effort put into grinding skills

2 hours ago, kochinac said:

-1 I grinded masonry on some alts just to be more successful in making mortar. Giving mats 100% success devalues peoples effort put into grinding skills

so? 

+1, you're mushing clay and sand together.

12 minutes ago, Radni said:

so? 

+1, you're mushing clay and sand together.

what he means is .. people are going to spam f2p alts and click create on 3 actions in bulk 6-10+ clients printing mortar to.. sell most likely, rather than all build castles all over the map where possible and some have been left unclaimed by stone buildings at that point. it's currently 1 good way a noob can get back into the game making a bit of bulk, that will surely die if anybody can bulk spam it, it's extremely easy to get just enough with decent skill and a small cast.. if you know what you're doing as it is already, having everybody doing it with no special setup will just throw it off the cliff as trading goods

1 minute ago, Finnn said:

what he means is .. people are going to spam f2p alts and click create on 3 actions in bulk 6-10+ clients printing mortar to.. sell most likely, rather than all build castles all over the map where possible and some have been left unclaimed by stone buildings at that point. it's currently 1 good way a noob can get back into the game making a bit of bulk, that will surely die if anybody can bulk spam it, it's extremely easy to get just enough with decent skill and a small cast.. if you know what you're doing as it is already, having everybody doing it with no special setup will just throw it off the cliff as trading goods

That newbie most likely does not want to pick mortar to make money. Even at 20 masonry the odds to make mortar are relatively low. There are far better options out there.

Now if that percentage was 100%, it would be a more viable option.

3 hours ago, Thalorane said:

Should everything in the game have guaranteed success?

I agree.

Moreover we don't need guaranteed success on all of bulkable items.

sounds like we've found the bulk item sellers 😁

afaik bricks planks etc were given 100% create chance because they're necessary for newbies to build houses and forges and stuff, whereas mortar is only really needed for brick buildings and bridges, which aren't really newbie things. but then again thatch and clay bricks are 100% so who knows. if you're making mortar you're probably building a house which requires 30 masonry so you've already got okayish create chance. I'm on the fence about this suggestion as i don't really see a reason why you shouldn't be able to have 100% create chance but at the same time I don't really see a need for it to be as not having mortar won't stop you from progressing or anything.

• Like 1

I don't think planks and nails should should be guaranteed either. They should be easy to make, but nothing should be guaranteed.

I get that it is indeed a very basic material, but I believe that the 100% is important not to scare new players from the game, and Mortar MAY not be something you come across that often as a new player

Also I disagree with the 100% existing, it should be like 85% or 90%.

100% is way too easy for Wurm lol

I am on the fence on this one.  If mortar making in the game is simply "mashing sand and clay together", then I don't see why it has to be such a dragged out process to make it. Cutting stone bricks feels easier than making the mortar for building with them does.  So a thumbs up from me on the suggestion with that being the case.

However, I could also wish that making mortar was more along the lines of the way it was realistically made- which is a more complicated process requiring skills in natural substances and chemistry (alchemy, for the sake of the Wurm world), and thus I don't like the idea of making it easier than it already is. I just wish it were more interesting.

100% guarantee from 0 skill, no.  However I'm over 92 Masonry and mixing sand with clay still only gives a 97% success rate..  Failures at making such a basic items that is needed in large amounts is a little asinine.  100% at say 40 or 50 Masonry I think would be a very reasonable thing to expect... failures, and with Wurmlogic WAY more failures than 97% should give... is mind boggling.

Absolutely 100% yes +1

Fail rates on basic building block items that we need thousands of is bad design. Wurm needs to be more practically designed to survive. Obtuse mechanics like this are the reason Wurm has been unable to grow and continues to slowly die.

To anyone worried about the effects this would have on the mortar "market" or "economy"... I really don't know what to tell you other than it's a market that deserves to die lol. Oh no my entire portfolio is invested in mortar! Mortar futures are in shambles! We will never financially recover from this...

• Like 1