Sign in to follow this  
Ismira

This game is going to DIE!

You're not describing a problem with the game, you're describing a player-driven economy. As long as people are too impatient to find or craft the item they want, then their "demand" for instant gratification is going to keep prices high. Many of them will leave, once their gratification is achieved and then the economy will balance out to something more like we're used to seeing on the OG servers. Or at least I think so.

• Like 2

This very determined "Wurm is going to DIE" statement reminds me of the young man who proposed his girlfriend he was loving more than anything.

If you do not marry me, I will die! the young man said.

She didn't want to marry him.

60 years later, the man died.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, nusuth said:

This very determined "Wurm is going to DIE" statement reminds me of the young man who proposed his girlfriend he was loving more than anything.

If you do not marry me, I will die! the young man said.

She didn't want to marry him.

60 years later, the man died.

sad story

• Like 1

wow you have a horrible victim mentality, anyone who disagrees with you must be a troll.

if you think it takes the same amount of time to make a knarr on southern freedom than in the new servers, you obviously havent tried on either.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 7:01 PM, Brash_Endeavors said:

To use your "overpriced" Knarr example to showcase this...

I am not sure whether you have ever yourself actually built a Knarr. It sounds like you prefer to buy things cheap rather than make them yourself. I can relate to that!

If however you have 30 shipbuilding, 30 woodcutting, 30q resources, and poor 30Q tools with zero enchantments, you are going to not only have slow-as-molasses actions, but also  you are going to FAIL at about 95% of your attachment efforts. You are going to be pounding the same peg over and over and over until it is 80% damaged....Mine on Indy back in 2011 took me about 4-6 weeks when I was a noob, and is something I never ever want to do again. ..

While I can absolutely confirm your point, I want to stress that for me, my first knarr was a great adventure and much fun, especially as everybody dissuaded me to start it at 30 shipbuilding, or at least advised to buy higher quality wood, or even hull planks, and deck boards. It took me over a week to create all components, but the assembly, from keel laying to finishing, took from 2/2/18 to 2/10/18, no longer. And I must say, all the ordeal notwithstanding, it was much fun and made me proud. And at least for those not shying away from hardship, I can recommend it as a great experience. Only disappointment was that my Knarr was slower than my sailboat ;) . And 2 months later, I started my caravel, lol.

Edited by Ekcin
addendum
  • Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 7:01 PM, Brash_Endeavors said:

You edited your original post, to admit the southern isles had "some" advantage in enchanted tools, resources, skills, but left your conclusion the same, that it still took roughly the same time and effort.  You are still not understanding the full impact of those advantages.

To use your "overpriced" Knarr example to showcase this...

I am not sure whether you have ever yourself actually built a Knarr. It sounds like you prefer to buy things cheap rather than make them yourself. I can relate to that!

If you have 90 shipbuilding, and 90 Woodcutting, and 90 Tailoring/Ropemaking/Farming, and of course high end 90Q/90COC enchanted tools, a Knarr is actually fairly easy. It is far from the most difficult boat in the game.   A really good shipwright probably can knock a knarr out easily in ... less than a day? Especially if you have been sitting on thousands of 90Q resources in BSBs for years.

If however you have 30 shipbuilding, 30 woodcutting, 30q resources, and poor 30Q tools with zero enchantments, you are going to not only have slow-as-molasses actions, but also  you are going to FAIL at about 95% of your attachment efforts. You are going to be pounding the same peg over and over and over until it is 80% damaged. Making a Knarr under these conditions, is gadAWFUL, so if someone wants one, they either need to be willing to undergo a lot of pain and torture, OR pay a lot of money for someone else to do all this. Mine on Indy back in 2011 took me about 4-6 weeks when I was a noob, and is something I never ever want to do again. I imagine the ones you are seeing on northern isle took almost three weeks and also were part of a team effort by a village with a dedicated shipbuilder, and a woodcutter and farmer/tailor.  Compared to under a day on southern isles by a single individual. 

75% price increase? That's way undervalued for the actual time and work and discomfort compared to what it would take on Xanadu, or any of the other southern maps.

What makes a good economy, is a proper mix of people who primarily consume, and people who primarily produce.  On the southern servers, excess of producers, everything is a buyer's market. On the northern servers, excess of consumers, so it is a seller's market.  That means you should pick the cluster that reflects the role YOU want to play in that blend.

If you like to mostly buy things that others worked to make, then southern and not northern isles is  the right spot for your own playstyle.  Maybe in a year, consider it again.

You are talking easy like 90 skills and high ql resources grow on trees, someone spend considerably amount of time grind those. Try yourself and see how easy it is to get to the 1 day knarr spawning point Norther or souther, doesn't matter

I dont know what people are complaining about. Dont like the price? Make it yourself. My deed mate wants hq weapons so she is grinding weaponsmithing with unenchanted lq tools she made herself. Let that sink in for a moment and then complain to me that you cant make your own enchanted tools.

First world problems.

• Like 7

Solution: Join a village with a variety of people and trade your crafts with friends/other villagers. Split your tasks and you won't have to pay a silver.

But of course everyone wants to play alone and get others to sell them cheap stuff so they don't have to put any effort.

???

• Like 6

I think when I see old games like Meridian 59, Ryzom, Underlight, Anarchy Online still existing even when most of those games are very very dated and all have very low populations I have hope Wurm can stay around even if we go back to 5000 unique logins per year.

i dont know what the problem seems to be

these new servers are literally the perfect time for noobs

and the fact that stuff is actually worth more than a few copper helps them immensely

"noobs" are selling bsb's for 20c each, selling support beams for 300% of your SFI market norm, there is a big af shipbuilder who jsut came into the game selling his boats for like 1000% of the SFI counterpart

and yet, people are still buying

supply and demand dictate the price

sorry that it didnt get to the stale point you were looking for, but if the same shipbuilder would go down with his prices he would literally drown in customers

if you see that you cant sustain a market because of TOO MANY customers, raise your price, thats all

either way, the new cluster can very well sustain such an economy

thanks for the tirade tho, was fun to read

• Like 1

actually having more fun in this game then i ever have. Defiance is actually super fun!

Everything dies at some point, the biggest decision is what to do with whats dead once its obvious? Them older servers probably wont see new life ever again. (change my mind)

• Like 3

the economy being like this actually helps new players?

I mean i've spent more than I've made since I wanted a sailboat but there's been opportunities to sell a lot of things that even a new guy like me could gather.

Also I've bought things low and sold them high to people that wanted them quickly.

Is a healthy competitive economy an indication of a games decline...? No i think not.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Andru said:

Is a healthy competitive economy an indication of a games decline...? No i think not.

Ah, but is a FAST economy with high prices and easy rent-collecting opportunities in a market with no such thing as wholesale an indication of "a healthy competitive economy"?  No, I think not.

But then, real world economics just don't apply in-game.  The game is not even an approximation of a closed system.

I'm sure I will probably get slammed for this, and perhaps rightly so, but quite often I find the people who get worked up about the "economy" are those who are looking to play the game for free with silver that others purchased with real money. What is there in the game to spend silver on? Premium and deed upkeep? Get a RL job, or join a village and play non-prem. Wurm Online is not a charity. If you can't afford it or don't want to pay, perhaps it's time to look into other games.   #sorrynotsorry

With RMT gone, I really don't get the fuss about the economy.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Schiann said:

I'm sure I will probably get slammed for this, and perhaps rightly so, but quite often I find the people who get worked up about the "economy" are those who are looking to play the game for free with silver that others purchased with real money. What is there in the game to spend silver on? Premium and deed upkeep? Get a RL job, or join a village and play non-prem. Wurm Online is not a charity. If you can't afford it or don't want to pay, perhaps it's time to look into other games.   #sorrynotsorry

With RMT gone, I really don't get the fuss about the economy.

Actually I think those who are making plenty of in-game silver bought with real money by other players are actually the ones not worked up.  It's those spending their hard-earned on in-game silver to hand over for goodies that I see as likely to ultimately fall out of of love with Wurm.

It's largely all academic to me anyway.  In game silver is a "short cut" in my thinking - nice to have to do things the "easy" way but not actually a necessity.

• Like 1

Nobody is forcing you to buy anything.  If you don't like the prices then yea, build it yourself. When you spend an entire day trying to pound 200 planks into a corbita or watch 50 kilos worth of cotton fly out the window when you try to make a sail, then maybe you'll understand why those prices are the way they are.  I haven't bought anything from another player.  I traded one sleep powder for a nice needle and one tamed deer for an oak sprout.  Now if you think that's pay to win then I have to ask, what exactly am I winning?

Personally, I'm DAMNED happy with this new economy.  I tried for 6 months on the southern servers and still didn't have the skills to create anything anyone would even think about buying. i.e. uninstalled.

P.S.  I'll have this corbita done in a couple of days.  25s.

On 8/18/2020 at 8:38 AM, Drastox said:

actually having more fun in this game then i ever have. Defiance is actually super fun!

Everything dies at some point, the biggest decision is what to do with whats dead once its obvious? Them older servers probably wont see new life ever again. (change my mind)

First, I like that you have fun, and hope for much of it for all on the new cluster.

As to "the older servers", I live on Xanadu, and find it alive as ever, same with the rest of the cluster. Right yesterday. we had a slaying of a red dragon on Independence, accidential find by a roadbuilder, real fun (I got killed once lol). With Mark Twain, the reports of our death are highly exaggerated. Have fun, and keep on wurming.

• Like 2

I didn't use any faith batteries for my Vynora priest, who has over 96 channeling and completed benediction.  I chopped a lot of garlic... chop more now.

• Like 1

Well, based on how alive this forum post is, Wurm will clearly not die as you predict ;)

• Like 1

Sorry to bring this post up but I would add to stop bringing your comments in the #trade if you disagree with prices.
PC, WTS, WTB do not include your drama

• Like 3

I doubt if this game gonna die, but it did get hit pretty hard when this went online on Steam. So i waited like two months then check it out. Unfort i couldnt remake my wildelf, wanted to start over fresh.

If you cant seem to sell or make profit, try something else. IRL situations had the same issues, things will go up and down in the game too.

If you feel uncomfortable, try to take a break from the game for awhile. Dont give up though!

Hm, what did hit you when the steam launch happened? Other than for the frequent reboots, a hiccup before GV tutorial was put to Haven, and some new help channels it did not touch me a lot. I have no active character on NFI, and doubt I shall have (ok one test char on Harmony exists but rarely logs in), waiting for the merge in a few years (if at all) is fine for me. If you feel better on NFI  have fun.