Sign in to follow this  
Davih

About Link heavy nerfs

linking up to 5 priests, at 40+ channeling, was a legit way, anyway

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, AceRifle said:

So what about people who got 55-70+ channeling already on the new server? Their skill getting reset or just screw the new server and once the word gets out people will quit in the mass?

This is likely going to be handled the same way the PvP Portal Sleep Bonus situation was handled.
They'll get to keep what they exploited and nothing with occur to resolve the existing result of it.

It's annoying that situations like this will occur and they'll fix it, but very little is done for those who actually abuse something.
I understand there are folks who grind things like crazy and high skills are entirely possible to achieve, but for those who abuse mechanics to achieve it and that mechanic is later changed because it's actually deemed to be abuse by the Dev-Team.
That just ruins it for those of us who did play fairly, whether we were aware of the "mechanic" being able to do what it was abused for or not.

Especially on these new servers. Obviously new players weren't aware of many of these mechanics that have come to light as "abuse" and then later fixed, and certainly no one was advertising that it could be done either.
Defeats the purpose of "New Servers for New Players" if there are old players who are abusing things to gain the advantage.

Pick a number, like 40, and for every point someone is over 40, subtract it from 40. so someone with 80 channeling would have none.

4 minutes ago, Rakki said:

yea but unlikely someone did, so just nerf everyone past 50+ to 1!

Unlikely but not impossible, so the proper approach would be just like with Archery earlier, nerfing them to 50, not to 1.

they have all the info in their logs.  Just need to sort through to find ones that broke the link formula and reset to 1

Oh look, another priest nerf with the promise of a proper fix in the future.

Lets hope they fix it better than their "balancing" of Fo!

14 minutes ago, Wurmhole said:

Put a block on all channel gains.

Check each priest with a channel above some nominal number like 20 skill.

Review how many links they ever had at one time.  If more than their skill allowed for, reset to 1.

Too simple?  Seems fair?

I was going to say "halve" their skill, should be an appropriate and vaguely fair punishment

-  Pay for a $#/%&ton of batteries to beat the curve:  fair game.

-  Not wanting players to make a $#/%&ton of batteries to beat the curve:  fair game.

-  Launching the server with that method restricted and said restriction announced with the reason explained: fair game... and not done.

-  Somehow not realizing that this was going to happen, then socking it to a bunch of people who already coughed up the cash for the batteries because a handful was abusing a bug:  [mocking expletives deleted]

• Like 3

If the people that abused the system hadn't bragged, and been so overboard in how they abused the system, it probably wouldn't have been caught. Don't blame the devs for not predicting how incredibly avaricious some people can be.

• Like 1

A friend just told me that it doesn't just Nerf the regen on the link, but on the "receiving" priest as well??

Oh god, you guys just gotta be kidding at this point, this is absolutely ridiculous, having a battery is now worse than not having it? who tought of this patch?

Also, if you want to randomly grief people, you can just run around and link-delink to ruin their favor regen for 15mins, this is genius :D

Edited by Davih
  • Like 3

Its not like people have been doing this for YEARS.

What's next? Nerf sermons into the ground because people use a bunch of alts for them? 

Nerf alts and make it so that only a few certain number of characters can be online from the same IP address at the same time? 

Edited by atazs

Linked priests is exploiting! So should i be punished for grinding to 90+ channeling using links literally 6 years ago lmao? These people

• Like 3

Just now, Nadroj said:

Linked priests is exploiting! So should i be punished for grinding to 90+ channeling using links literally 6 years ago lmao? These people

This.

There has been no exploits or bugs involved and it was not considered to be such for years. After all why wasnt it changed until now if it was?

Edited by atazs

The exploit isn't grinding with many links, the exploit was being able to link even more than what is permitted by the game mechanics (more than 1+1for every 10 channeling)

The issue here is that the heavy nerf coming with the bugfix is extremely unproportioned and mostly unrelated to the bug abuse, and just made hundreds of alts useless, even someone who just made a couple or even just a single battery is going to be extremely penalized. (and only after the ones who abused even the bug already created an huge skill gap that is most-likely never going to be reversed, apart from maybe a couple of them just to make an example)

At this moment, you need at least 6 linked priests to have a better favor regen than having no battery at all...

Actually no, it's wrong, cause the 6x 20% regen only works after 20 favor, while the nerf 5x nerf also works on the main priest, making the "sweet spot" regen from 0 to 20 favor nerfed by 5 times aswell, that absolutely cannot be compensated by 5x 20% regen after 20 favor.

Basically having a battery now is a nightmare and completely useless. This is a complete joke

Edited by Davih
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Davih said:

The exploit isn't grinding with many links, the exploit was being able to link even more than what is permitted by the game mechanics (more than 1+1for every 10 channeling)

The issue here is that the heavy nerf coming with the bugfix is extremely unproportioned and mostly unrelated to the bug abuse, and just made hundreds of alts useless, even someone who just made a couple or even just a single battery is going to be extremely penalized.

At this moment, you need at least 6 linked priests to have a better favor regen than having no battery at all...

Actually no, it's wrong, cause the 6x 20% regen only works after 20 favor, while the nerf 5x nerf also works on the main priest, making the "sweet spot" regen from 0 to 20 favor nerfed by 5 times, that absolutely cannot be compensated by 5x 20% regen after 20 favor.

Basically having a battery now is a nightmare and completely useless. This is a complete joke

Exactly the issue everyone has here. If the exploit was being able to link more than you should. Then that's what needed fixing. This doesn't "fix" that. It nerfs all legitimate use of the linking feature that's existed for about 10 years. Guarantee they don't put it back to any reasonable usable state after this. Never known this team to actually rollback a stupid decision just because everyone told them it's stupid.

• Like 1

Idk, once people start to realize than having even a SINGLE battery is a huge nerf compared to not having a battery at all, they might realize that hundreds of alts left unpremmed isn't something good for their economy.

2 hours ago, Wurmhole said:

Put a block on all channel gains.

Check each priest with a channel above some nominal number like 20 skill.

Review how many links they ever had at one time.  If more than their skill allowed for, reset to 1.

Too simple?  Seems fair?

there was never an exploit like that, its made up. i used numerous batteries in the past to grind my priests.. its always been 1+ channeling/10 links available as was intended. So is some ppl started with 7 priests since day 1 and grinded their way up to link 6 priest to main to grind more etc, what rules did they break or what exploits did they use to get their channeling reset that was gained in a legit way there was for the last 13 years? NIONE. temp solution or not, the thing is clear - ppl that used it are ahead by a ton, as no matter what rework will be done others wont be able to use links as before, yet you cant reset the channeling of the ppl who got it as they didnt exploit anything. It was the game mechanic. Its all a shaft in the butt for everyone just the devs trying to back it up as an "exploit". i call this bullsh1t

• Like 2

deleted double post

Edited by Skatyna

This game is balanced around the old days of wurm where the game might see sub 50 players on a server, and not prepared for 1k+ players on it. I seriously think the best way to think out balance if you want a fair game is if there was no skillcap on players. how could X be abused. But since there is a direct money gain in the past with having players just sub alt accounts, due to the low player count they ignored it til now, it ruins the economy to have alts as you devalue so much of the player base.

Pretty much they're cracking down on it, because it looks bad on steam as you're telling every new player that they have to alt account + sub multiple accounts to be competitive in the market or pvp. Not to mention that some of the grinds are pretty much bot work like mining.

Edited by ChronoAtog

Then just ###### get rid of alts altogether. It's already difficult to use them with the Steam client

I have five premium accounts on the new servers. Two are priests, different gods. Even though the last two won't be batteries due to this change, it WILL still help my two priests get faith via sermons. Not a waste of money IMO.

My vyn is near 40 channeling without ever having a link. Those calling for a roll back should be ashamed. While there are some who have abused it (I know of one group who flaunts it) the majority of us are just grinding away.

17 minutes ago, ChampagneDragon said:

I have five premium accounts on the new servers. Two are priests, different gods. Even though the last two won't be batteries due to this change, it WILL still help my two priests get faith via sermons. Not a waste of money IMO.

My vyn is near 40 channeling without ever having a link. Those calling for a roll back should be ashamed. While there are some who have abused it (I know of one group who flaunts it) the majority of us are just grinding away.

Getting to 40-50 is easy, the grind after 50 is a lot harder it slows down at an insane rate

I never wanted to have a alt but you need at least 1 if you're a priest to craft/improve items. Just think how low the pop would be without the priest/battery/craft alts. It's a real shame. That and skill gain is too slow. 

Guess that's why we are where we are. Never gonna hold randoms especially in pvp when it takes a year to get decent. In that time wars should have been won and lost and then start fresh, new players wI'll becore familiar, and be more productive the next round (3 mo). They wont come in and think about how far off they are due to knowledge and strats and how they'll never catch up. But instead look foward to the next round. The round would have different goals etc so its not the same old same old. Then people won't waste their real life time doing random bs when they could be out exploring, fighting, and dying. People want to see action not stare at cave wall streams. Just saying. You have to be really sick in the head to want to play this game and that's why I have come back multiple times, but the average consumer isn't gonna want to stick around. If you're okay with that, than that's on you, but I feel you should try to cater to people who don't have all day everyday to play to be competitive (like linking to 25 alts). There has been so many windows of opportunity that it's really an embarrassment that more hasn't been done in general. Super glad didn't go the priest route this time.

• Like 1

Fully agree with above. A good majority of the people that will have been gained via steam are a fickle bunch. Although over the years myself and friends have had fun playing the game it has never catered towards retention very well. Now that does not mean that the game should be simplified or anything, but, knee jerk nerfs when anything shows any sign of being faster is not the anwser. This is the first time I made alts in years and regret it massivly just now, trying to keep up with others on pvp so I can enjoy but this constant moving of the goal posts when others have already gained from it is poor form. There is already issues with mob spawns so certain indivduals are gaining now this. I am starting to think that this game is still not ready for focusing pvp yet.

Edited by Lairdjoker
grammer

1 hour ago, FireHeart said:

Getting to 40-50 is easy, the grind after 50 is a lot harder it slows down at an insane rate

I have a 93 channeling vyn, and a 70 fo and mag. I know about grinding.... all without links tyvm.