Sign in to follow this  
CistaCista

Getting new horse coats from other coats

I am a returned horse breeder who has never touched the new coats before. Now on Harmony, based on what I see in my own horses, I am little worried about the mechanism for randomly spawning new coats.

I have seen the new coats spawn from parents that are both wild grey horses.

My question is this: CAN a new coat, such as chestnut, also randomly spawn from parents that are already coated, such as a mating of a brown and a black horse (or also a brown and a wild grey)?

Thank you.

Edited by CistaCista

Short answer, yes they can. I'm always breeding different color pairs to try to get another (after starting my herd over again after a break I no longer have all of them). It does seem very random and can take some time but yes it works.

PS I have had better luck when at least one parent is a grey, since they are basically colorless.

Edited by Tilda
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, Tilda said:

I have had better luck when at least one parent is a grey

This is exactly what I am looking for clarification on, thank you. Does someone know if there is any game mechanism at play?

It has been my observation that you're much more likely to get a "new coat" by breeding two new coat horses together.  Even if 2x piebalds don't yield a piebald offspring, it is highly likely it'll be jet black, skewbald or the other "new coats".  The reverse seems true for the "old coats".

• Like 2

Good point Wargasm and I find the same, when I responded above it was only on the basis of having only 'old' coats to start from :)