Sign in to follow this  
Melros

Please fix mob density on Melody

The patch was pushed back and there are once again no animals in the south.

creatures-month.png

The creature count hasn't changed over the past month, so where are they all? Either animals have taken up practicing stealth, or they are migrating north once more despite the patch stating otherwise .

Post-revert, the way to reliably find animals for hunting and/or fightskill is one of the following:

• Roll JK/MR, look outside.
  • Roll HotS, go north and see how much FS you can get before someone with 70+ pops up. 

Can you hunt in other areas? Of course you can, but hunting in the more sparse areas means that your own horse is the only animal in draw distance more often than not. The amount of time spent wandering around through the barren southern biomes seems a bit skewed when animals are lining up for the slaughter in the north.

2 hours ago, Zekezor said:

Well things got "fixed" where it was amazing over on Defiance. Now its back to being crap again. Applies to other servers too.

I don't have any screenshots to back it up, but it appears on Defiance there's extremely large gatherings of mobs along the north east coast. Specifically around the deserts there.

Meanwhile in the south hunting is near impossible. It was a fun few days being able to hunt before the "fix".

Bugfix: Creatures should no longer migrate north

fTeO0dt.jpg

Seems like they're mostly migrating north/east now, lol.

And well, our steppes are totally empty too. Maybe all the animals went to JK?

Plz fix.

15 hours ago, Sovos said:

The creature count hasn't changed over the past month, so where are they all? Either animals have taken up practicing stealth, or they are migrating north once more despite the patch stating otherwise .

As someone that lives in the north, they aren't here.

Bump (it's not just melody though, as I'm sure others in this thread have pointed out)

Can easily ride for hours on southern Defiance without finding much of anything!

Are the mobs fixed yet or are pvpers not grateful enough to receive an updated basic communication on issues? 

I think instead of getting focused into the comments and how the community is represented, you should consider how a new player's perspective on the game which drives a bad first impression.

Here let me already give you the automated expected template response to that above comment, "That is a good point, we're already working on this."

5 minutes ago, Postes said:

I think instead of getting focused into the comments and how the community is represented, you should consider how a new player's perspective on the game which drives a bad first impression.

Here let me already give you the automated expected template response to that above comment, "That is a good point, we're already working on this."

You aren't wrong, but this is an issue beyond the PvP server, and we are continuing to investigate and monitor creature spread. 

That said, this thread isn't the place for that discussion, so I've moved this into the creature count bug thread

30 minutes ago, Postes said:

Here let me already give you the automated expected template response to that above comment, "That is a good point, we're already working on this."

22 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

You aren't wrong, but this is an issue beyond the PvP server, and we are continuing to investigate and monitor creature spread. 

That said, this thread isn't the place for that discussion, so I've moved this into the creature count bug thread

So... we talk about new player experience in the creature movement thread? I admit I'm a bit sleep deprived today, but that doesn't make much sense to me.

11 minutes ago, Schiann said:

So... we talk about new player experience in the creature movement thread? I admit I'm a bit sleep deprived today, but that doesn't make much sense to me.

Given the comment was in regards to the post above, I moved both over here. 

21 minutes ago, Retrograde said:

Communication on the progress of this would be appreciated because this should be a high priority change. Not having animals to kill has already driven a few people I know from the game, since it's gotten to the point now where fight skill for lower skilled players is nigh impossible to raise due to the lack of mobs to grind with. You don't even stand a chance in PvP,  you know, the entire point of the server, unless you have high fight skill. 

The fact that we get zero updates on this unless we go out of our way to hound the mod team in discord to get anything is disheartening. 

6 minutes ago, Sovos said:

Communication on the progress of this would be appreciated because this should be a high priority change. Not having animals to kill has already driven a few people I know from the game, since it's gotten to the point now where fight skill for lower skilled players is nigh impossible to raise due to the lack of mobs to grind with. You don't even stand a chance in PvP,  you know, the entire point of the server, unless you have high fight skill. 

The fact that we get zero updates on this unless we go out of our way to hound the mod team in discord to get anything is disheartening. 

As you can see by the creature count, the animals are there. Density and spread is something that takes time to review and we don't have anything more to say than "yes we're continuing to look into it" 

Fact is so many people trying to hunt in the lands will clear the commonly hunted areas fast, leaving the areas that arent hunted more dense. It's an ongoing process. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

Fact is so many people trying to hunt in the lands will clear the commonly hunted areas fast, leaving the areas that arent hunted more dense. It's an ongoing process. 

I hope you are joking. With 2 kingdoms in the northern part of the map and one in the south and literally almost not a single hostile create to kill in the south (for weeks) and hundreds of them on the north this issue clearly has nothing to do with overhunting. 

1 hour ago, Retrograde said:

As you can see by the creature count, the animals are there.

Players: Hey uh mobs spawns are way less and here's a bunch of screenshots and videos of areas that had good population prior to the patch that have been absolutely desolate for days/weeks.

Mods:

2nOjrng.png

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

I hope this is more just explaining what the issue is (the fact that mobs are spawning in places people do not hunt in) and not a statement on why it's fine as it is.

The mobs are collecting around a few specific regions:

1. Forests - When hunting in a forest, it's much harder to see mobs. Thus, they'll remain around for longer. People hunt in forests all the times, but don't always see the mobs - this is fine if it doesn't collect 300 mobs in a few tiles.
2. North/Northeast regions - this is because the migration bug still isn't fixed. Evident in pens, evident in servers where there are still a lot of mobs in the NE quadrant.
3. Cliffs/big slopes: Simply because hunting in these places is too difficult, and mobs don't care about slope.
4. Islands and difficult-to-reach places: Same as above, except with the added measure of needing a boat to reach usually.

And please keep in mind that we do not know where these places are, and on pvp servers, it's not exactly easy sailing to spend hours locating them

2 hours ago, Retrograde said:

As you can see by the creature count, the animals are there. Density and spread is something that takes time to review and we don't have anything more to say than "yes we're continuing to look into it" 

Alright, knowing that you're looking into it and that it's a priority is good enough. It's probably not easy to solve, or some other small team issues- that's fine. Please don't point at a graph and pretend it's fine, though.

From a player perspective (and thus, the only perspective that matters mind you), if the monsters are not spawning in huge swathes of land and are spawning elsewhere, by all means they are basically not spawning at all. It doesn't matter if the creature counts are extremely high because if players have to break their bones and spend hours trying to locate the hidden trove of "10 mobs per tile" hunting grounds, then it's inherently broken and needs fixing.

3 hours ago, Retrograde said:

Very well understood and honestly, it's a good thing. But you need to understand that this 'issue' is legions more important in the pvp server, where the only decent gain of fight skill (THE most important skill for fighting, if you didn't know) is gained through hunting. And in order to pvp, people need that skill. A pvp server without good hunting grounds is going to wither the longer it goes without it, and it's been almost two weeks now.

I don't know if it's possible on your end, but if a solution isn't being found soon- then please revert the last change made to monster spawn rates on Defiance only (and other pvp servers if they want, too- though if you're changing those you should also change the fact that kingdom mobs are spawnkilling new players. If those servers even matter, anyhow.)

Edited by RainRain
  • Like 2

On 9/10/2020 at 5:38 PM, RainRain said:

I don't know if it's possible on your end, but if a solution isn't being found soon- then please revert the last change made to monster spawn rates on Defiance only (and other pvp servers if they want, too- though if you're changing those you should also change the fact that kingdom mobs are spawnkilling new players. If those servers even matter, anyhow.)

This. 

There's so many people wanting to get into pvp, but are unable to due to the poor mob situation right now. I dread to think how many people have already stopped playing because of this (I know for a fact this is a non zero amount).

What's more, even with whatever bugs were present in the previous mob spawning code, it was still fun to play for everyone. Isn't that the most important thing?

On 8/31/2020 at 1:47 PM, Blackbeard said:

Bugfix: Creatures should no longer migrate north

fTeO0dt.jpg

Seems like they're mostly migrating north/east now, lol.

And well, our steppes are totally empty too. Maybe all the animals went to JK?

Plz fix.

I can't help but notice that only the sheep are facing in that direction. Someone said that JK is full of like mainly sheep. Do mobs migrate towards one another?

The bison in that pen are also facing in a different direction.

Edit: sorry just noticed all the sheep in the corner lol

Edited by Chestburster

another post on this because every single day i hear people complaining about monster spawns, i've witnessed people quit because of monster spawns, and i know more people who are going to quit because of monster spawns

you can't pvp without fs. you can't get fs without easier monster spawns.

so let me say it once more

just revert the last spawn change that was added for defiance only until you can actually fix the overarching issue with the spawn system

5 hours ago, RainRain said:

another post on this because every single day i hear people complaining about monster spawns, i've witnessed people quit because of monster spawns, and i know more people who are going to quit because of monster spawns

you can't pvp without fs. you can't get fs without easier monster spawns.

so let me say it once more

just revert the last spawn change that was added for defiance only until you can actually fix the overarching issue with the spawn system

Yeah no idea why this hasn't been reverted. As far as I'm aware most of the staff that work on this game get paid so if they aren't in crunch time to get this fixed and working a decent amount of hours each day then the management must be extremely poor. This is a developed game sold publicly with a subscription model that customers are paying for but the staff here seem to treat it as though they're volunteers for a minecraft server.

Edited by Chestburster

There were no spawn changes added "for Defiance only". We have reverted all the creature spawn changes, and only the migration one remains in the game.

We're working on something that should again bring more regionally balanced spawns to all servers, without the issues that forced us to revert that last change. We should have a solution ready for an update soon.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Samool said:

There were no spawn changes added "for Defiance only".

To clarify, i meant that you should change it back to how it was before the reverted change specifically for the Defiance server- not that there was a spawn change for defiance in specific.

That said, if you have a change that will be pushed out soon, then that isn't necessary. Eagerly awaiting it!

@Retrograde@Samool

Why are the max settings for defiance and chaos so different? similar land mass same size.

http://wild001.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/creatures.html
https://defiance.game.wurmonline.com/mrtg/creatures.html

Chaos has x3 times the max aggressive?

Defiance

Max Average Current
Aggressive Creatures count: 10 kcreatures 9829 creatures 9861 creatures
Total Creatures count: 33 kcreatures 33 kcreatures 33 kcreatures

Chaos

Max Average Current
Aggressive Creatures count: 30 kcreatures 29 kcreatures 29 kcreatures
Total Creatures count: 48 kcreatures 48 kcreatures 48 kcreatures

Edited by Threap