Sign in to follow this  
Theonis

Failur to Startup Multiple Clients with non-steam client.

Using the non-steam client.  I can not load up a second instance.  If I log in one character then go back and attempt to load up Wurm for a second character, a second window will appear in my bar but will not load to the screen.  This second program you can mouse over and it has some long 30+ character hash address but will never load.  If I attempt to load two client up before one has a chance to fully load I get two of the programs in the bar but the launcher screen never loads on screen.

Edited by Theonis

Are you using the JLNP or the 64 bit installer?

I haven't had any issue with the 64-bit installer, but several people have mentioned issues using the JLNP.

I normally run up to 4 clients at a time, on an older Win7 system.

How much RAM on your system?

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I use the 64 bit installer.

CPU Ryzen 5 3600

RAM 32 Gb

GPU 1080Ti

1 512Gb NVMe SSD (This one is the OS, but also has Wurm on it.)

2 SATA SSD's each 1 TB.

4 TB HDD for storage.

Not over clocking.

Normally I could get the whole alt army on and mine away before the update.  Which was 9 Clients.  No need to run more but I bet I could.

I did try different graphic setting profiles just in case.  These have smaller windows, lower graphic settings.  Mixed and matched. 

Even did a clean install of JAVA.

Edited by Theonis

I completely uninstalled wurm, deleted all files associated with it after the uninstall.  Restarted the computer.  Downloaded a fresh copy of Wurm.  Installed it, restarted the computer.  Other than loosing all the stuff I didn't want to give up in the first place, I am still having this issue.

I would probably check whether you have both 32 and 64 bit javas installed -- windows tends to often use the 32 bit which Wurm has severe issues with. I know you are probably sick on reinstalling stuff, but this will be much easier and much faster, and not losing any important files:

1) Go to Control panel / programs and uninstall ALL versions of Java

2) Go to manual downloads and download the Manual Offline 64-bit Java -- do not install through the browser!  it should be the third link here (offline/64-bit):

https://www.java.com/en/download/manual.jsp

3) Close your briowser and install the 64 bit java from whereever you saved it on your hard drive.

people end up with the 32 bit version because they often have (or had in past) a 32 bit browser, so you want to download and install without using the browser to install...

Wurm just really really hates the 32 bit version 😕

Thank you for the help.

I am pretty sure I didn't have a 32 bit java but to make sure, I even dove through my registry and if it said java I toasted the sucker.

Alas that did not do any thing for me.

Are you launching the second instance  from the taskbar or a desktop icon or start menu? I have no idea if this would help, but this link suggests for windows programs in general, it helps to hold down the SHIFT key while clicking the icon for the second instance of a program. This page says for programs where you need admin permissions, to try Ctrl + Shift + Click to open a second instance of a program. Some sources say to use SHIFT +  left-click instead for the second instance. One page even suggests a middle click (i guess they mean the scroll wheel?).

Sigh. I have no idea why any of those would matter when you never needed it for Wurm in the past, and no one else seems to need to do it, but it would only take a few seconds to try 

I would also try launching the second instance of the program from a different source -- maybe try launching the second one from the open Wurm folder itself rather than a desktop/taskbar/start menu option, or try launching one using the EXE file and the other using the wurmclient.JLNP that exists in the same folder. 

Are you trying to launch the second instance in a separate second monitor, or is this all in one monitor? I seem to recall issues for some with dual monitors and can try to track down the solution for that, if that is what occurs for you. Also apparently there are issues for people unable to launch certain programs twice if they are using Microsoft Edge (the programs need to support a particular API). 

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

I know that Edge is now a mandatory feature on windows 10.  you can not just uninstall it.  So I went and removed it using the powershell.  Not one help there.  I don't even use the program.  I prefer the antiquated Firefox.

I have updated every driver for all my components at this point.  The only option now I can think of is to do a Format: C and then start over from a clean drive.  Ya, no.  Not for 1 game.  I had inteded to get the alt army all paid for and mine this month but not doing that if I can only mine with one character.

My windows 10 Laptop is still able to load alts.  But my main machine is SOL.  I was thinking that perhaps the latest windows update had something to do with it so I updated my laptop.  It still boots up multiple clients.

This was Resolved with the last Wurm update.  Go ahead and close.