Sign in to follow this  
Red

Rain: Thicker clouds, more noticeable raindrops, and a bit of fog.

All the wonderful graphics updates over the years and rain still remains in a sad state of clear skies and spittle.

It wouldn't take much to make rain feel more like.. well... rain. 

Thicker clouds, or just straight overcast. We shouldn't be able to see stars during a rain shower. It's quite unimmersive to see rain drops and a clear sky.

Ramp up the fog a bit. Trick us into thinking there's more rain off in the distance. 

More rain drops. Right now we have to squint to accidentally notice that it's raining. Bigger drops? More drops? Whatever, but something's gotta change.

Bonus: specular shininess on the ground.  This actually sounds like extra work outside of existing features of the engine. But it would be cool to make things look wet.

There's much more important work to do than improve rain. But better rain seems like low hanging fruit. :)

• Like 8

Yes please.

I normally hear the sound of rain for a little while and then see a few drops before they disappear.  Even the rain sound does not last very long...

• Like 1

+1

Yes, totally! the rain is imperceptible.
It looks like someone learning how to paint but is afraid to use contrast then everything ends up washed and flat.  They are doing a good job updating the graphics but at the same time they are afraid to use contrast, be bold.

BTW.  I hope they focus on the audio, it's the weakest and most 2006 part of the game at the moment, not counting the UI / UX.

It's been this way since at least 2003 or 2004. I would love to see a better rain effect, even if it is just visible rain and visible rain clouds. What it really needs is variable intensity. High wind thunderstorms. Low wind gentle rains. Pair that with cloud density and color. Also apply it to snow.

• Like 2

I like immersion and I like rain, so +1 from me.

I'll be honest, most of us turn off music anyway so I'd rather they just remove it entirely once they really up the graphical and audio immersion aspects