Sign in to follow this  
Exodus

NEW Rail System - Work Smarter, Not Harder

After spending minutes on top of minutes running through our mine and for as complex as a mine system CAN be developed into I'm suggesting a rail system.  It's very time consuming bringing bulk resources from the very depths of your mine up to the front where your main workstations are to process all your material , even using horse and wagon to do so.  Why not allow us to build a rail system in-game where we can lay track and build mine cart(s) with perhaps some limitations and to keep things realistic.  Mine carts can be powered by fuel(wood scraps or coal) allowing us to carry larger amounts of loads at a faster rate than by horse and wagon.  Sure, if you wish to continue using a horse and wagon because it's cheaper to operate do so, but as time goes by and claims because wealthier with resources to knowledge, allow claims to take on an entire new system in our mines.

Please give this post a +1 thumbs up if you like the idea.  

Thank you.

Edited by Exodus
typo
  • Like 2

i like this idea so much that i even thought to improve it.. hell, why rails, let us buy NPC slaves from traders for 50c each, as many as we want, so we can set them up for us to mine, to haul crates where we want, even make bricks. and ofc we still get all the skill gain as we would normally get doing those actions ourselves 👍 it would be so damn cool to be able to sit in your Royal throne while drinking beverages the slaves made and seeing all those skill ticks popping while 70 on-deed slaves do all the chores. yay!

Edited by Skatyna
  • Like 2

Post renaissance mines had built in rail systems for carts. This isn't at all an absurd suggestion and I quite like it. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mine_railway

Not to mention that Wurm Online, technologically speaking is somewhat between late Middle ages - Renaissance period. +1 from me, would be could. 

• Like 1

You could have a human treadmill instead that is outside the mine entrance, that you could attach a horse into the wheel to pull loads up from the mine.

If you allowed the use of attaching rope to small crates for example, then you could create a line of rope from the small crate to the treadmill.

Then when you want to pull the small crate towards the mine entrance you click a button on the treadmill and that makes the horse move and turn the wheel which then pulls the rope, which then pulls the small crates towards the treadmill.

You could even have such devices on the tops of cliffs as well to lower items down and up on a pulley system.  That would speed up moving items from the top to the bottom of the mountain.

Some pics:

Spoiler

lRZXunkA7ndtNwobXyH3doBHpp3qqcjjyW6kuxuIancient.jpgTreadmillcrane.jpg

3 hours ago, elentari said:

Not to mention that Wurm Online, technologically speaking is somewhat between late Middle ages - Renaissance period.

So was slavery. It dates back to the stone age and lasted until XX century. Thats the key aspect wurm is missing lol

3 hours ago, Zexos said:

Reveal hidden contents

lRZXunkA7ndtNwobXyH3doBHpp3qqcjjyW6kuxuIancient.jpgTreadmillcrane.jpg

Thanks for sharing those pics, thats exactly what i mean - SLAVES left and right in every picture 👍

I was going to say interesting idea but no.

However...

I have done a little looking around and it seems that earliest wagonways date from Ancient Greece (no surprise there) c. 600 BC until the middle of the 1st century AD at Corinth. A paved trackway consisting of grooves in limestone acted as a primitive railway allowing boats to be pulled overland. 

This being so, I would suggest that wagonways as an option in Wurm would fit into the style of game we have providing that a reinforced, prepared  floor was a pre-requisite with grooves able to be 'carved' by a highly skilled stonemason (maybe 90+) Most people would be able to prepare the floor in caves but the high ability stonemason skill would provide additional work / reward for those players at that level (I am not one of them) Mine carts as suggested by Exodus could be added but I am not sure how they could be made advantageous to large carts or wagons drawn by horses. They may however, provide evidence of the ability of the creator and that for some could be enough.

A tentative +1 for the idea now but I think  the application of the idea needs to be less post-industrial revolution in its concept (fuel powered vehicles and rails for example in my opinion would look out of place)

Edited by Spolmit
  • Like 3

I love the idea of mine tracks and carts, but it isn't really needed. Transportation time vs mining time is minimal. It takes almost a whole day to fill a wagon. Unless you are mining hundreds of Kilos from your base, transport of wagon is a few minutes. If you are far from home, filling a knarr with metal can take a few days.

• Like 1

I'd find it cool if the age of steam-punk begins ... Tho I don't see no sense in the OP since you can pave the mine floor and use a cart with good horses too which is very fast.

This is why you build an underground processing center - it can be as simple as one or two smelters/forges or an entire underground building with a separate workstation for bulk smelting/forging and a basement for all your wine.

• Like 2

Well, it was just a suggestion.  

Edited by Exodus

Please do not be disappointed Exodus. There is nothing wrong at all with wanting to help our game develop and it is precisely for this reason that this forum section exists.

It is people like you who have innovative thoughts that allow the developers to see the ideas of the community and potentially add some of the ideas into Wurm.

• Like 2

I wouldn't mind a low-tech minecart system. Just a big box on wheels that can be pushed back and forth on a set of rails/tracks without the need for carts/driving.

• Like 1

We do have the wagoneer who does the pickingup and delivering  😉

Honestly yes minecarts (of the unpowered variety) existed a lot longer ago than people might think.  Powered is a no, because steam power definitely isn't a thing in wurm time.  However, we DO have magic, hovering turrets.  You could perhaps have a similar system of an enchanted minecart that will simply move from point A to point B on the "rail system" without player intervention.

It would have as much room as a large cart, and go probably about the same speed as one with basic horses.  The main advantage would be that it wouldn't require any player interaction other than telling it to "go", at which point it would travel along the track until it hits a dead end.

Edited by Branson