Sign in to follow this  
Platyna

Name for the highway markers.

It would be nice to have the ability to name highway markers (waystones and catseyes) added (mass rename in inventory and rename on road by a person who planted). There are many things that retain their name after being planted, and it would be very useful to designate name of the road, directions, map tile, exits etc. 

Edited by Platyna
  • Like 5

I support the core of this idea, although I am not entirely sure about the best way to implement it... 
The primary reason I support this idea is because it will take something that we (players) are already doing, and incorporates it in-game

Players have already been patching together different ways of "naming" in-game... everything from using signs planted next to or on top of waystones, planting named lantern posts, building named wells or fountains, etc. Because players have been finding ways to implement this concept, I can understand if a single, unified mechanic is not a high priority. But I definitely agree with OP that one "official" naming mechanic for shared features of the game would be a definite quality of life improvement.  

My only suggestion would be to think beyond the roads and highways - players name many shared features in Wurm, not just highways. If this suggestion is implemented by adding a "name" action to waystones or catseyes (or both) - that ignores the fact that Wurmians also name mountains, lakes, biomes ("Steve's Tundra" or "Grande Steppe" etc), canals, tunnels, etc. The original post just focuses on the highways, but I think that it would behoove us to implement a "naming" mechanic in such a way that, in the future, it could be expanded to include some of these other various community-named Wurmian features, too. 

• Like 2

How to implement it? Exactly like signs and banners - they can be named and planted. 

Edited by Platyna

Something like naming cairns or modified waystones would be good, but how to make them work for things other than highways I don't know.

For a highway, instead of renaming all the waystones and catseyes, maybe have a cairn at each end of the named section (which also includes waystone functions) and everything between has the name from the cairns.  A bit like a deed token applies a name to all the tiles in the deed, as you can see when you examine.  You examine a road that falls between the two ends of cairns named "The Devil's Humph" and it tells you "This is a part of The Devils's Humph".  Maybe for other features, make them basically rectilinear and use 4 corner markers to designate the name.  Actually, you could implement four as the basic system, and you put one on each side of each end of the road.  The pair at the end would serve as a pretty good visual marker, too.

• Like 2

Trickster, I adore your concept for this suggestion. 

What would happen at intersections, I wonder? 

I think the possibility to rename the markers would suffice. 

On 8/12/2020 at 6:25 PM, Platyna said:

I think the possibility to rename the markers would suffice. 

Are you being deliberately obtuse at this point? Did you read my response or Trickster's response at all? 

It's fine if you don't agree with the idea that naming highways could be the first phase of eventually introducing a in-game naming mechanic with multiple applications. Its okay to find fault with Trickster's thoughts on a way to implement these ideas. You can just say that and explain the problems you see in our ideas. 

But so far, it feels like you've just been repeating aspects of your original idea & not engaging at all with what other people want to discuss about it. 

• Like 1

I am sorry if you didn't like my response however this is not a reason to insult me though. Developers are very busy with a lot of things, and letting us to just name the highway markers seems to be a lot easier than creating special new structures (that would also require artist work), also, we, road engineers, tend to keep road sideways as clean as possible. Technical aesthetics differs significantly from artistic one, and the sense of beauty is not universal. I think there are no obstacles for you and Trickster to post their own ideas in a separate thread, maybe the development team will find your ideas better than mine. 

Edited by Platyna

My last post might have been directed at you, but beyond conveying my sense of frustration, there was nothing that could be construed as a personal insult. 
Also, it wasn't about liking or disliking - it was about how your responses had no explanation, no engagement with the conversation taking place. As I said before, it's absolutely fine if you/someone disagrees - but this is a forum, please explain your thoughts, the reasons for the objections, etc. 

On 8/14/2020 at 11:42 AM, Platyna said:

Developers are very busy with a lot of things, and letting us to just name the highway markers seems to be a lot easier than creating special new structures (that would also require artist work), also, we, road engineers, tend to keep road sideways as clean as possible.

This was - literally - exactly why I was frustrated. I know you are smart and I know you are involved in highway construction. How can I (or any of us) change our opinions and make our ideas better, if you don't point out the problems with our suggestions? A response that said this was the only thing I was looking for, that's all. 

• Like 1

Okay.... you've given me some things to think about now! So let's do this 😉

Developers are very busy with a lot of things, and letting us to just name the highway markers seems to be a lot easier than creating special new structures (that would also require artist work)

This is very true. 
But I think this can work both for and against your concept. See, the Devs ARE very busy... so why would they take extra time to implement something (however easy) - when the players have been and are finding ways to fulfill this function in-game already? As I mentioned earlier- players have used street lamps. signs along the roadways, wells / fountains, and other decorative objects to name the roadways. If you are basically suggesting an idea that already works in-game, only a possibly more unified way of doing it... I would figure that suggestion would be a super low priority for busy Devs. That is, "if it aint broke, don't fix it."

we, road engineers, tend to keep road sideways as clean as possible. Technical aesthetics differs significantly from artistic one, and the sense of beauty is not universal.

Oookay. So I know that some road engineers like to keep roadway sides "as clean as possible" .... but I've also been on plenty of roads in Wurm with all sorts of things built up along the sides of the road. Some of which - like wells and fountains - I've found very useful. You are correct that there are all types of aesthetics, and beauty is not universal. However, that sentiment would also suggest that you are only one road engineer, and couldn't possibly speak authoritatively for all road engineers. This entire quick tangent into the variability of aesthetics is something of a non sequitur, however. I don't think any of us on this post were discussing design aesthetics at all. I know that I was personally entirely focused on game mechanics and functionality. 

I think there are no obstacles for you and Trickster to post their own ideas in a separate thread, maybe the development team will find your ideas better than mine

well, sure. That's true. But you can't really dictate to other people when and how they come up with ideas. Personally, I have a terrible time innovating or coming up with a solid idea on my own - but, I tend to find inspiration more easily from taking someone else's idea and talking it out with them. Editing the idea, adding to the idea, and bouncing related ideas back and forth with the original thinker, and also the rest of the creative community. As I said in my very first post - I definitely found your core concept intriguing and felt it was worth responding to & engaging with. 

If you were already happy with exactly what you suggested and were not interested in the feedback and comments of others, maybe just say so in your original post in the future. "Hey everyone, here's this idea I have. Here's how it works. I think it's awesome as-is, and I'm not looking for elaboration and/or criticism. Please only comment below if you want to support this specific idea & explain to the Devs why you like it." 

Just make your expectations and intentions a little more clear from the outset, so that the rest of us can get on the same page with you, please.  

Can we go back to the original topic of this thread, which is the possibility to name highway markers please? 

Edited by Platyna

Just name the darn lamps.

Edited by Cecci
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, Platyna said:

Can we go back to the original topic of this thread, which is the possibility to name highway markers please? 

Okay. Here's my thoughts on naming highway markers by adding a "rename" function to waystones and/or catseyes. 

On 8/6/2020 at 11:51 AM, Amata said:

I support the core of this idea, although I am not entirely sure about the best way to implement it... 
The primary reason I support this idea is because it will take something that we (players) are already doing, and incorporates it in-game

Players have already been patching together different ways of "naming" in-game... everything from using signs planted next to or on top of waystones, planting named lantern posts, building named wells or fountains, etc. Because players have been finding ways to implement this concept, I can understand if a single, unified mechanic is not a high priority. But I definitely agree with OP that one "official" naming mechanic for shared features of the game would be a definite quality of life improvement.  

My only suggestion would be to think beyond the roads and highways - players name many shared features in Wurm, not just highways. If this suggestion is implemented by adding a "name" action to waystones or catseyes (or both) - that ignores the fact that Wurmians also name mountains, lakes, biomes ("Steve's Tundra" or "Grande Steppe" etc), canals, tunnels, etc. The original post just focuses on the highways, but I think that it would behoove us to implement a "naming" mechanic in such a way that, in the future, it could be expanded to include some of these other various community-named Wurmian features, too. 

I know I'm a bit effusive. Here's a TLDR breakdown:

1. PRO: I support adding naming functionality to highway markers as a quality of life improvement

2. CON: Players have already been doing this so I am concerned that this idea, on its own, is not be sufficient for Dev consideration. ("if it aint broke, don't fix it") also - see what Cecci just said: 

5 hours ago, Cecci said:

Just name the darn lamps.

3. SUGGESTED SOLUTION: Start with the suggested focus of adding naming to highway markers.... but don't use the OP's idea for implementing it.  Implement it in such a way that the naming function will also have future applications. Discussion about what that might look like followed my original comment, since I had the idea on the fly & had not yet fully fleshed it out. 

13 hours ago, Platyna said:

Yes we can its a crappy idea.

I don't see any problem with the current system. like said above if it isn't broke, no need to fix.