Sign in to follow this  
Zera

Horse vs Croc

So I've seen this complaint come up a decent bit from the new players and I just want to put this out there.
"Crocs can't run faster than a horse!"

Oh but that is where you are wrong my friends!
The standard "Wild Grey" has no speed qualities to it. It moves at best at a Trot if you were to relate that to the real world.

A Crocodile is a very aggressive creature and can reach speeds (depending on species) of up to 11mph. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Crocodile
A Horse's Trot averages at about 8/10 mph. Walking speed is less than that (we'll call this our speed penalty friends) at 3/4 mph. http://www.saddleonline.com/blogs/content/how-fast-can-horse-run

Now lets look at horses with their added Speed Traits gained from the Animal Husbandry skill, where our horses are now increasing from their Trot (8/10mph) to a Canter at 10/17mph.
Certain Traits bred into horses can then increase this speed even further. Plus the addition of equipment.

So unfortunately, in short.. No, a Wild Horse or a poorly bred horse is not faster than a Croc.

WTB 5spd Crocodile that I can traverse into the water with.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jotz said:

Wouldn't that be something? 🤣

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Zera said:

It'd be hilarious! You wouldn't really be able to see the crocodile either, so it would just be this person gliding along the water ahahaha.

One day...

1 minute ago, Jotz said:

It'd be hilarious! You wouldn't really be able to see the crocodile either, so it would just be this person gliding along the water ahahaha.

One day...

Maybe this posting will inspire someone to try it. :P

38 minutes ago, Jotz said:

You can already do that, embark tamed croc on land and pass into water, makes a great ferry service. :)

• Like 2

I am thinking Alyeska maybe used to breed 5 speed crocs, maybe even champion ones, but maybe I am misremembering things....

1 hour ago, Eobersig said:

You can already do that, embark tamed croc on land and pass into water, makes a great ferry service. :)

I know for the tamed ones, but I want a 5spd one so I can zip around! :D

13 minutes ago, Brash_Endeavors said:

I am thinking Alyeska maybe used to breed 5 speed crocs, maybe even champion ones, but maybe I am misremembering things....

I wonder if that is still something that Alyeska partakes in? That would be quite wonderful to have bahaha!

6 hours ago, Jotz said:

6 hours ago, Zera said:

Fun fact: You can ride crocs in Wurm after taming them, and they can be ridden on water. Not recommended though...

Once tamed, crocodiles are the only creature in Wurm that can be embarked upon and ridden into and through water like a boat. However, they can only cross a server line while stored in creature cages, not while being ridden.

Great points, but I avoid wikipedia for reference. No longer trustworthy in the professional realm.

11 hours ago, Alpengeist said:

Great points, but I avoid wikipedia for reference. No longer trustworthy in the professional realm.

Care to elaborate? Information presented in this manner tend to not be quite reliable if not supported by facts.

Edited by Zalxis
Typo

1 hour ago, Zalxis said:

Care to elaborate? Information presented in this manner tend to not be quite reliable if not supported by facts.

I write professionally, and most of my clients now refuse any sort of citations involving Wikipedia. The reasons are many, but reputability/credibility is at the root of it all. Unfortunately, Wikipedia became very political, at some point, in the way they present or avoid presenting info, and the professional world took notice. You also do not need to necessarily know what you are talking about to contribute to Wikipedia articles. I would recommend sources like the Encyclopedia Britannica or a .edu for things like this.

Edited by Alpengeist
  • Like 1

It is nonsensual to start ideological fights everywhere, Alpengeist. The problems are well known and publicly discussed that Wikipedia is influenced by vested interests of governments an businesses, and that certainly is a problem. But I fail to see that this extends to the presentation of crocodiles or the suchus species in general. Let us stay on topic. Feel free to elaborate if anything in the link presented is wrong or misleading, concerning crocodiles in Wurm.

Edited by Ekcin
  • Like 1

16 hours ago, Angelklaine said:

Fun fact: You can ride crocs in Wurm after taming them, and they can be ridden on water. Not recommended though...

Once tamed, crocodiles are the only creature in Wurm that can be embarked upon and ridden into and through water like a boat. However, they can only cross a server line while stored in creature cages, not while being ridden.

I know you can tame them lol, but I want to buy a 5Spd :^) ZOOM ZOOM! ---- I remember taming one almost 5-6 years ago and just using it as a moment for the lolz.

@Brash_EndeavorsI also contacted Alyeska, and sadly she doesn't breed them anymore as once they removed the ability to have Champion Crocs hitched to wagons, she stopped doing it. (Main reason she was breeding Crocs) ---- Thank you for the name though!

• Like 2

Ekcin, no ideological fighting here lol. There was a reasonable argument made about crocs and horses in which the awesome effort was made to even give citations. Good stuff!  - and I chimed in with a tip from a professional view that may help some in the future to strengthen their points via citation use. 95% of forums is opinion-based material. Don't be bruised about me disagreeing with you elsewhere and bring it here, then tell me to stay on point 🤣. I agree with you most of the time, chill homey.

This post about crocs and horses is definitely an interesting one to ponder 😀

5 hours ago, Alpengeist said:

I write professionally, and most of my clients now refuse any sort of citations involving Wikipedia. The reasons are many, but reputability/credibility is at the root of it all. Unfortunately, Wikipedia became very political, at some point, in the way they present or avoid presenting info, and the professional world took notice. You also do not need to necessarily know what you are talking about to contribute to Wikipedia articles. I would recommend sources like the Encyclopedia Britannica or a .edu for things like this.

"Citing Wikipedia is bad" isn't for political reasons, it's because Wikipedia is an encyclopedia, i.e. a tertiary source of information. It's meant to compile information from other sources, not to be used as a source of information itself. This is why Wikipedia itself lists sources.

The same goes for a printed encyclopedia like Encyclopedia Britannica, which are also tertiary sources and not meaningfully peer-reviewed. Basically, the more professional the setting, the less acceptable a tertiary source is in terms of reliability.

• Like 1

Wurmpedia =/= Wikipedia 

It's your own choice if you want to ignore the repository of knowledge for Wurm but it's a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

Edit: I just noticed the suggestion that we use encyclopedias or .edus for Wurm citations. I chuckled.

Edited by Beanbag

1 minute ago, Beanbag said:

Wurmpedia =/= Wikipedia 

It's your own choice if you want to ignore the repository of knowledge for Wurm but it's a bit like cutting off your nose to spite your face. 

I think Alpengeist is referring to the Wikipedia link regarding crocodile speed in the OP.

4 minutes ago, Ostentatio said:

I think Alpengeist is referring to the Wikipedia link regarding crocodile speed in the OP.

Perhaps, but it came directly after Angel's post from wurmpedia.

Ostentatio, that's a really interesting point. Britannica is also a tertiary of some sort, but has always been accepted across the scholarly world, unlike Wikipedia. Some of my clients cite political leanings of the Wikipedia, while others cite its sourcing methods, and some just don't give a reason why it's not accepted. I have to admit, it would be funny if some really scholarly dissertation or other paper jumped out there and used Wikipedia as a reference. I do know that I've never seen any such respectable work or even journalism that uses Wikipedia as a cited source. Unless it's some sort of analysis into the Wikipedia itself, how it works, etc. Can you imagine a heart surgeon writing a groundbreaking paper on a new procedure and citing Wikipedia of all places? 🤣

I have two friends in college who also say Wikipedia is not a reputable source they can use when doing their work. It wasn't accepted by my professors either in my six years of college at two, separate schools. However, most .edu sites, Britannica, some really respected .org sites, and journalism sources like the Wall Street Journal and Forbes, for example, all are universally accepted.

Took me a few re-reads, Beanbag, to catch your meaning. No, I wasn't addressing Wurmpedia. I was only giving a quick tip on citation in reference to the citing of Wikipedia on crocs, albeit this is just Wurm forums and no tip really was needed per se.

Edited by Alpengeist

56 minutes ago, Alpengeist said:

Ostentatio, that's a really interesting point. Britannica is also a tertiary of some sort, but has always been accepted across the scholarly world, unlike Wikipedia. Some of my clients cite political leanings of the Wikipedia, while others cite its sourcing methods, and some just don't give a reason why it's not accepted. I have to admit, it would be funny if some really scholarly dissertation or other paper jumped out there and used Wikipedia as a reference. I do know that I've never seen any such respectable work or even journalism that uses Wikipedia as a cited source. Unless it's some sort of analysis into the Wikipedia itself, how it works, etc. Can you imagine a heart surgeon writing a groundbreaking paper on a new procedure and citing Wikipedia of all places? 🤣

I have two friends in college who also say Wikipedia is not a reputable source they can use when doing their work. It wasn't accepted by my professors either in my six years of college at two, separate schools. However, most .edu sites, Britannica, some really respected .org sites, and journalism sources like the Wall Street Journal and Forbes, for example, all are universally accepted.

Took me a few re-reads, Beanbag, to catch your meaning. No, I wasn't addressing Wurmpedia. I was only giving a quick tip on citation in reference to the citing of Wikipedia on crocs, albeit this is just Wurm forums and no tip really was needed per se.

A heart surgeon writing a groundbreaking new paper shouldn't be citing any encyclopedia, really. But this is a thread about how fast crocodiles can run, not a groundbreaking academic paper on heart surgery.

A site being hosted on a .edu or .org domain is more or less irrelevant these days; literally anyone can get a .org address (even I have one!), and university websites can still host tons of content not supported by the university itself. You can't use a TLD as an indicator of reliability.

Journalistic sources are a bit of a mixed bag, considering the variety of content written for them and the varied nature of that content. I don't think a university would want me citing a newspaper editorial on a thesis paper.

• Like 2

the ground speed of a crocodile is liberal nonsense

• Like 1
  • Cat 2

I love how writing a thread about the complaint "Crocs can't outrun a horse!" in wurm, struck up as "Wikipedia is junk!"
Way to off-topic guys!