Sign in to follow this  
Zera

Backpack reduces weight load

So if you carry around a backpack full of heavy textbooks on your arm or in your hand it's quite heavy.
We've all experienced this at one point or another when we were in school.
Now putting that backpack on your back or even just over a shoulder made this feel much lighter and easier to carry, so rather than carrying a bag in our hand or looped over an arm everyone at least slung the backpack over their back.

What I'm proposing is a reduction of weight, even just a little bit, for the contents in a backpack while it is equipped.
Even if this weight reduction is only a 5% or so reduction to the entire backpack's weight (as well as it's contents) this would make backpacks not only more realistic in terms of allowing players to carry something efficiently on their backs, but also assist in dealing with heavier loads when on foot.

After all, this is why backpacks, in part, were created the way they were. Isn't it?

Of course a backpack in the inventory would not reduce weight as again "in hand" is heavier than "on back".

Edited by Zera
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, armyskin said:

Explain.

Backpack weight reduction would be neat.  You could do the reduction based on QL, with a 100QL backpack providing a 30% weight reduction, where a 1QL would provide 10%, on its overall contents.

You already can't fit a whole lot into a backpack, and only small items will fit, so it's not as if people will be putting 60kg of rock shards into their backpack.  This would mainly be good for being able to carry more tools, or armor with you rather than constantly having to nickel and dime which tools you take to still walk at max speed.

Edited by Branson

we sprint nonstop and end up carrying 100s of KGs of weight, this serves no purpose, plan your loadout better until you are strong enough to carry what you want, hell we dont even use plate anymore so actually all players using chain or leather currently are getting this benefit already whether they know it or not

5 hours ago, Branson said:

Backpack weight reduction would be neat.  You could do the reduction based on QL, with a 100QL backpack providing a 30% weight reduction, where a 1QL would provide 10%, on its overall contents.

I wouldn't go as far as to base it on QL of backpack.
That seems a bit much, though it would provide benefit to carrying higher QL packs.

3 hours ago, armyskin said:

we sprint nonstop and end up carrying 100s of KGs of weight, this serves no purpose, plan your loadout better until you are strong enough to carry what you want, hell we dont even use plate anymore so actually all players using chain or leather currently are getting this benefit already whether they know it or not

"plan your load" and "no one wears plate" is both not a reason and not true.
I wear plate. I'm sure PvP wears plate. I see no harm in giving a small weight reduction to items carried in a backpack that is equipped.

I only use my backpack for cotton, healing covers and the deed papers. I never carry more than I need at any time as far as tools go, I use a cart any other time when I travel.
However I do recall there being once upon a time folks were looking for something to assist in farming. Farms can easily cause you to be overweight depending on total harvests. Something like this can make all the difference when trying to carry in you harvest of foodstuffs or cotton/wemp in less trips.
It can also be helpful to pair with that nice toolbelt you've got, storing the tools/items that will fit into the backpack away from the main inventory (if they fit in the first place) and enabling you to for general purpose, "set and forget".
This isn't with the intent of a large reduction either. I'm not talking about cutting the weight in half of items in your backpack.

Edited by Zera
  • Like 1

We kinda have saddlesacks/saddle bags with that functionality. They reduce the weight horses carry by 50% or so.

I get the idea of reducing weight, but instead of weight reduction , backpacks should really reduce stamina loss when running instead.

Carrying 20 kg, 10 kg in each hand is exhausting. Carrying 20 kg on your back, well distributed on both shoulders can allow you to tire less often.

• Like 1

maybe if rare+ backpacks, satchels on the back - why not, some items need get benefits from rarity. But not regular ones. And actually, why? you can hold felled trees in inventory, why need to reduce weights of something.

Well @Pankivtanke, can I introduce you to Comrade Babushka?

Jokes aside, I would like for the backpack to have a bit more functionality.

We technically can also carry around a lot of corpses in inventory. My char can carry about 10. Where does he store them?

I don't even want to know. Drags them around with a rope I guess. * shrugs *

• Like 1

even comrade babushka says weight doesnt matter, maybe backpacks can have some other function?

Honestly, weight reduction based on QL might be a good way to go, mostly because backpacks are limited in volume.

Those decrying this tend to be players with insane body strength stats who can walk around with trees in their pocket.

Sounds like a good idea, it's mostly new players that will benefit from it as eventually you'll get enough Body Strength that things like this have no real effect. A minor boost like this early on can't hurt and it's what you'd generally expect from wearing a backpack on your back.

• Like 2

On 8/6/2020 at 10:31 AM, Ecrir said:

Sounds like a good idea, it's mostly new players that will benefit from it as eventually you'll get enough Body Strength that things like this have no real effect. A minor boost like this early on can't hurt and it's what you'd generally expect from wearing a backpack on your back.

This was the intent of the suggestion to begin with, thank you noticing that.
Obviously the stronger/older characters don't "Need" something like this, and no ultimately none of us do.
There are oodles of perks and things that can help older characters and provide benefits for having reached mid to later game. But what about the new guys?
You know the ones who can't ride anything, maybe has a small cart and can't even bash a wall.

I speak for the F2P and New Players alike with this suggestion here.

As far as this rarity thing goes, I would not restrict it only to rare backpacks/bags at all. That defeats the purpose of the suggestion entirely!
If you want rarity to matter, cause the rarity to be what reduces the load weight even more. Don't base weight reduction on the QL, a backpack is a backpack regardless. Leave the QL to it's own decay rate, unless we set this up to be on an incremented level or something. But certainly do not require a backpack to be rare+ to actually provide a weight reduction.

• Like 1