Sign in to follow this  
Yldrania

Melody Map?

Is a community map of Melody still needed? If so, I'll set one up for everyone.

• Like 6

A map would be great. Someone was talking about doing it pre-launch, but no comments since launch. That was probably also for Harmony.

On 8/5/2020 at 1:23 PM, Yldrania said:

Is a community map of Melody still needed? If so, I'll set one up for everyone.

Yes

I can offer my web solution for the Melody map. It is the same tool used for DeliveranceExodus and Celebration. All that's needed is a person who will take the role of "map manager", keeping the map up to date. 

I guess @Yldrania is willing to do that.

• Like 3

Question, How does one take a census of the map to assure its accuracy of information? I thought this was done through a data dump annually by the devs.

I'll gladly set it up together with Yaga if I dont step on anyone's toes with it. I wouldnt want to take it away from someone else who is already working on it.

• Like 2

On 8/12/2020 at 4:11 AM, Zander said:

Question, How does one take a census of the map to assure its accuracy of information? I thought this was done through a data dump annually by the devs.

Devs are not involved in community maps. Those maps are made and maintained by the player community - like almost anything in the world of Wurm Online. In the early days, when the "old" servers were still young, we did not have map dumps, not even the ingame maps we have today. The first community maps were drawn by hand, like this one from 2011:

giTgxOG.jpg

Later, we had ingame maps and official map dumps, which are now the basis of our modern community maps. Their content, however, is entirely managed by players. (See this map thread, for example: https://forum.wurmonline.com/index.php?/topic/168376-deliverance-community-map/ )

That said, please note that a map dump for Melody has not been published yet. This means, the map manager will have to use the current ingame map as a map background. Once the map dumps will be released (probably in a couple of months) the background map can be replaced.

• Cat 1

6 hours ago, Yldrania said:

I'll gladly set it up together with Yaga if I dont step on anyone's toes with it.

Web space and software have been prepared for the new map. Ready to go? :D

• Like 1