Sign in to follow this  
Antony

Let us use right-click emotes via chat commands

I can type /hug in a half a second, but it takes me 4 or so to navigate through the right click menu.

Please allow us to perform emotes on selected objects using chat commands.

• Like 4

+1 I barely ever use the emotes because of the time it takes to find the one I want especially with the lag issues on Xan.

• Like 2

Browsing emotes through the menus is the reason I almost do not use them at all.

In most other games you just type emote in text chat.

• Like 1

I am absolutely behind this idea. 

I am one of those "emotive" players - I don't necessarily RP 24/7.... but I always want to give my neighbors a friendly "wave" while passing on the road. Using the right-click action menu approach means that usually I'm waving to thin air, as my neighbor has long since passed by and is multiple tiles down the road already. I know that not every player likes emotes, but that's not a reason to make them near-impossible to use for the players that do. 

In comparable current games there are basically 2 mechanics for emotes that Wurm is entirely missing: 
(1) slash chat commands like the OP has mentioned (e.g. /wave)
(2) allowing emote keybinds (press G to emote "good morning" at current target)

After attempting every conceivable way to use a slash command or F1 a keybind to no avail, I recently asked Community Assistance about it... I was told that Wurm doesn't allow keybinds for emotes because some player might use that to spam emotes. Let me say that I understand why we would attempt to preempt emote spamming.... But - frankly - this rationale is insane

Some player will probably use a game mechanic to be a jerk?.... Well, DUH! Have you met gamers? OF COURSE some player is going to abuse the game mechanic! Not allowing for emote keybinds for this reason is like saying, "Some player might be provocative in chat, so we don't have an in-game chat box."  Do we do that? No, of course not. THAT'S WHAT TOS AND GAME RULES ARE FOR. We accept that the ToS and Rules outline what is and is not acceptable behavior, and lay out the punitive actions for behaving badly. And when some player behaves badly, they are reported & punitive actions are taken. 

This is all just to say:  allow slash commands and keybinds for emotes. Put in the ToS that we're not to spam emotes, etc. Put us on ignore, block, mute, etc. when we break the emote rules. Don't withhold an incredibly basic game mechanic from all of us based on the idea that some gamer is going to some day abuse the system.

+1 and /cheer for accessible emotes in Wurm. 

• Like 2