Sign in to follow this  
Arronicus

About people destroying biomes

So, as some of you may have discovered if you live anywhere in the area, there's a large Steppe at the area of about J11 on the map, which is an important hunting ground and spawning area for things like bison sheep and horses, and adds variety to the terrain. However, there are one or more people who actively are converting enormous portions of the steppe into grass, seemingly trying to just convert it into the forest. This is not deeded land, but just seems to be some large project to erase a biome that is valued by a lot of those of us who have chosen to settle against or right near it. 

I understand that wurm is a game that facilitates and allows terraforming, and sometimes to great degrees for public projects, but is this reasonable? I know a few of the other deeds in the area aren't pleased with it either, so it's not just me, but is this something I even have the right to care about, or are people free to just wide-scale destroy important biomes in ways that would take even more effort to revert back?

unknown.png?width=1922&height=677

This is what they've done so far, and they seem to have no plans of stopping there. The roads pictured on the right and left don't lead anywhere except right up against the rock

Edited by Arronicus
  • Like 4

What a bummer. Is this a normal thing? I'm a new player and to me this comes off as someone having already deeded some steppe, and is trying to create scarcity by sabotaging other areas.

• Like 1

You can change the "biome" to anything you like. Flowers create normal grass, while Mixed grass when planted creates steppe. Or Even sand your entire deed area to make a desert.

19 hours ago, Arronicus said:

So, as some of you may have discovered if you live anywhere in the area, there's a large Steppe at the area of about J11 on the map, which is an important hunting ground and spawning area for things like bison sheep and horses, and adds variety to the terrain. However, there are one or more people who actively are converting enormous portions of the steppe into grass, seemingly trying to just convert it into the forest. This is not deeded land, but just seems to be some large project to erase a biome that is valued by a lot of those of us who have chosen to settle against or right near it. 

I understand that wurm is a game that facilitates and allows terraforming, and sometimes to great degrees for public projects, but is this reasonable? I know a few of the other deeds in the area aren't pleased with it either, so it's not just me, but is this something I even have the right to care about, or are people free to just wide-scale destroy important biomes in ways that would take even more effort to revert back?

unknown.png?width=1922&height=677

This is what they've done so far, and they seem to have no plans of stopping there. The roads pictured on the right and left don't lead anywhere except right up against the rock

I hope they can be convinced to stop and to reverse the damage they have done :(

Steppes are a very precious part of the Wurm ecosystem. 

Especially worse if they did this without consulting with other people living in the area. 

Are they free to do this without your input?  Sadly, yes. That's the Wurm way, you only own what is within your own deed boundaries.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors

Simple solution, just outwork them. go chop down the new trees, gather the grass, cultivate, and plant the grass recreating the steppe. if you and the others who feel strongly about it just go out one day and undo it, whoever did it should get discouraged enough to stop. or, better, they might figure out that talking to people in local and getting their input on making such large scale changes is really the preferred method of play.

• Like 8

6 minutes ago, DaletheGood said:

Simple solution, just outwork them. go chop down the new trees, gather the grass, cultivate, and plant the grass recreating the steppe. if you and the others who feel strongly about it just go out one day and undo it, whoever did it should get discouraged enough to stop. or, better, they might figure out that talking to people in local and getting their input on making such large scale changes is really the preferred method of play.

I'm quite a fair bit south, but am nearly riding-ready. Would be happy to help out if locals around J11 like.

• Like 2

Thanks for the heads up. I need both woodcutting and gardening skill so I can start reverting this tonight.

• Like 6

Plus it's a lot easier to make steppe than it is to make forest. You should have the upper hand just because of that.

• Like 5

It looks like this right now. Someone has been cutting down the trees here and rather noobishly planted hazel, blueberry and raspberry.

ca9oS8N.jpg

Edited by Skrofler
  • Like 2

This eyesore is getting bigger every day, I too would like to see it gone.

But I also don't want to live in a warzone.

I'm sure there's area's in the middle of nowhere where nobody would mind such a plantation, so I wonder;

Why deed on a steppe and then try to change it into something else?

Why deed in a willow forest and then cut half of them down?

Some thoughts to medidate upon ; )

• Like 1

I could totally see myself deeding that land and make it steppe again. :D

• Like 2

Maybe they're just newbies who don't know better. I would talk to them, explain it. I once tried to build a house in a steppe biome and had no idea this was a special place.

• Like 2

While I love steppe, of all biome types in wurm, it is quick to recover and spreads quite quickly, unlike Tundra, which used to never spread at all, and even now spreads very slowly. I'm more forgiving of grassing steppe than I am over grassing tundra.

Steppe also replaces grass tiles over time, I have fought a rearguard action on steppe tiles invading my deed on Indy for years, and many grass tiles in the surrounding woods have now been overcome by steppe.

If no one touches it, it will revert to steppe over time.

• Like 2

I hope the steppe is completely recovered.

At the same time I find it so interesting how the situation resembles the real life. People destroying/converting biomes and people fighting against it, each side with their interests. 

I remember when i was a newb almost 3 yrs ago, and thought i needed to plant trees to have enough to harvest for wood. with the deforestation going on over there on the new servers, I understand someone thinking they'd need a forest for harvesting or skilling WC. now, of course, I know that forests grow incredibly fast, and have just recently cut down an area of around 5000 tiles of trees around my first deed and turned it into a steppe and desert. Yeah, it took some time, like 3 weeks, between the deforestation, some terraforming to smooth out the man-made cliffs, and turning the tiles into steppe, but was worth the time and effort.

• Like 1

I expect a new player thought they were being helpful in planting a forest so others could gather trees and chop wood from.

If anyone's looked at Harmony near the two starter towns, especially Heartland, it's practically a desert of dirt from the clearcutting except on the non-cuttable deed part itself.

• Like 3

Instead of being lazy and whining why don't you chop down some trees and make a steppe. It's not like it's that difficult.

Also, I've been all over the map. There are HUGE useless fruit tree forests all over the map. Chop em down and make a desert or steppe. You say you have to work on woodcutting? There ya go.

I was wondering how long it would take for someone to start this kind of thread. 😆

Edited by Hanel

This area was degrassed a few days ago and is recovering now. Someone even dropped a deed called "Nature Preserve".

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Skrofler said:

This area was degrassed a few days ago and is recovering now. Someone even dropped a deed called "Nature Preserve".

😂

Since I am not too far away, one of the things I am trying to do is grab some sprouts from elsewhere and wander into the vast lawnmow and plant.  I am randomly dropping a variety of trees and hoping that as they come up no one runs right at em for the wood at least until there has been a great recovery.  It's kind of fun and satisfying to do.  It's my own apology in away for being 'new'

I've seen this issue happen every time a new server starts. My suggestion was many years ago and remains today. "Setup nature preserves "hunting lands" and protect them (GM protect tile) before opening the server to the public."

Speaking of which, if any Dev's see this. Please expand on the GM ability to protect tiles. Allow for selecting an X by Y area like "Flatten". Pretty please :)

Edited by Craft

How about make steppes and deserts where you want them. It's easy enough. As easy as planting a forest. Deserts are even easier. Stop being lazy and complaining about a game feature. Make your steppes. Make your deserts. Nothing is stopping you but you.

• Like 2

And here, in this thread, is a prime example of why humans are destroying the IRL enviroment they live in. Its no wonder why global warming is happening, when even in a game people destroy the nature. :D

• Like 1

People destroy natural habitats, other people curse those people, other people call those people whiny or lazy.

Circle of life

• Like 1