Sign in to follow this  
Eyesgood

Update: A Struggle To Survive

Another chunk engine-related post today.  This one was really exciting.  I figured out how to eliminate chunk edge tile issues without writing any new code!  It was all in the technique.  I also give the reader code for a method to handle scene fade-in and fade-out.  Read all about it by following the link below.

https://astruggletosurvivedevblog.blogspot.com/2021/07/eliminating-visible-chunk-edge-lines.html

Edited by Eyesgood

Well, I thought I would update anyone who might be interested in my 2d survival game, A Struggle to Survive.  I know it's been a while, but I am still plugging away at this hobby game.  Here is another blog post announcing that I have switched from the Unity game engine to Godot.  I could ramble for a long time on how much easier and faster it is to develop in Godot.  But instead I will just say that in 1.5 years of Unity development, I have been able to progress beyond that in just 3 months in Godot.  In fact, I just finished my resource-based inventory system in Godot and it only took me a month to do.  Here is a screenshot.

Spoiler

ASTS-Inventory-System-Godot.png

More to come....

Eyesgood

Edited by Eyesgood
  • Like 2

Tapping maple trees led me to chase a rabbit and add liquid management to my inventory system.  A video is up on my YouTube channel with details.

YouTube video

More to come...

Eyesgood

• Like 2

A new video is up on my YouTube channel where I discuss my implementation of tilemaps to produce millions of tiles without chunking.

Tilemap Progress

Also, I have narrowed down the background and focus of my game to a period of around 1825, when trappers gathered for the annual Rendezvous.  The player is a wannabe trapper who has left the city life of the East for the wilds of the Rocky Mountains.  Arriving at St. Louis, he purchases the supplies he needs and sets off on his journey West.   He must learn to survive and provide for himself, hunting, building a home, trapping for furs, all in preparation for the annual rendezvous.  Once the rendezvous commences, he can travel there and take advantage of his only opportunity in the year to trade to obtain supplies from the East that he cannot obtain anywhere else.  I think this backstory provides more than enough content inspiration for my game while leaving room for future adventures.

More to come...

Eyesgood