Sign in to follow this  
Hoonsuit

Start Town Perimeters

I would like to open a discussion on whether players should be able to fence off and lock large areas of starter town perimeters. I'm not talking about a 2x2 area to protect your goods, or hide from mobs. I"m talking about allowing players to fence off 100+ tile areas.

The potential for abuse in allowing players to fence off starter town perimeter tiles is immense. They will have the ability to restrict other players from entering or leaving the massive areas they "claim". 

It can be used to route players toward inhospitable areas. It can be used to re-route players to their merchants and not others. 

They obviously cannot deed these starter town perimeters, but this could be a way to command the areas none the less. A group of 4 players could each claim they want to "Beautify" the starter area. All take one side of the starter town and fence off 100+ tiles each. Without the ability to smash down these fences, the player base could be held hostage by a single player and his alts.

I'd like to hear everyones opinion on this matter.  Should players be allowed to command large areas of starter town perimeters? Should staff protect those areas? Should players be allowed to smash player made fenced areas (of a certain size) that control start town perimeters? Should there be a staff controlled waiting list that everyone can sign up for, for the right to claim starter town perimeter sections?

Thank you

Edited by Hoonsuit

Judging by your post and your forum account age, welcome to Wurm. This has never happened to my knowledge in Wurm Online. The GM's will most definitely step in at some point and prohibit said players from blocking off spawn. Players are most definitely allowed to own land outside of any spawn, but they are not allowed to block off passage as far as I know. If you go to any spawn outside of the Northern Islands (which are brand new. Try visiting the Southern Islands), you will see there's a highway system extending in every cardinal direction unless there is water or something impassable blocking a highway. I don't think the WO community has ever been in a situation where players on Freedom Isles servers have blocked spawn from people leaving and I don't think it will ever happen, the game masters would definitely step in before that. Don't worry about people blocking spawn. 

Edit: If you have any questions, please PM me. Glad to help.

Edited by Goblinking
edited!
  • Like 2

Thank you for the welcome.

Not completely blocking players from coming and going. Fencing large areas (100+ tiles) of the starter town perimeter under the guise of "beautifying" the area. Fences as nice as they are, are not needed to "beautify" They are in control of the gate locking mechanism, and cam prevent everyone but themselves from Foraging/Botanizing, chopping trees. picking flowers, from the starter area. 

On a server like Melody, where the starter town is surrounded mostly by dessert. All of a sudden a 100+ tile area becomes a gold mine. They could potentially prevent new players from chopping trees in the starter town perimeter. Why give them the option/ability to be able to do that? And if so, should the staff be able to prevent players from destroying those undeeded fences?

A lot of veteran players are trying to buy out the land around spawn because it is very valuable. Also, anything on your deed is yours and nobody else's unless you give other people permission to use it. Wurm is not like other games in a sense where everyone has access to the same resources. Once you own land, nobody else can touch it unless you say so. This can discourage new people but all you need to do it walk a bit further from spawn and you should be in the clear. Wurm is very territorial and it depends largely on what you own. If you own a deed and plant a forest in it, nobody can touch the forest except for you.

• Like 1

I'm aware of being able to protect my goods on a deed, thank you.

This topic is about whether fencing off even more of that "very valuable" land that is the starter town perimeter, should be protected or if it should be destroyable. Or if people should be prevented from fencing off say anything more than a 2x2 area.

If it's known that veterans are partaking in this type of thing, shouldn't that be shunned upon. Aren't the veterans infact griefing, by restricting / directing where people go, within the starter town perimeter? If they already have deeds around the starter town, isn't this the veterans taking even more land that was designated starter town area?

What if they decide to fence off a tar pit, or a clay pit. Why would that be treated any different than fencing off a forest? It's all resources, and I don't believe their large fenced off areas should be protected. Deed it or lose it.

So just to be clear here and put the entire story out there. I play on the Character names of Sheriff, Deputy, & Admiralmyth on Melody. I have worked countless hours over the past week to improve the look of the starter area. You came in yesterday and started destroying what I had been working on. You maliciously tore down what was it 24 of my unfinished fences that were requiring only fence bars to attach which I was working on. The GM's stepped in and came to the conclusion that the road would go to where we had already started it. Maybe next time work with those who were building up the area for the better than being malicious and rude about it to others.

No one is "claiming" the land with fences to "claim" the land. We are beautifying the area and have been doing so for a week. Those in the starting area of Overture on Melody know who I am and what I have been working on. Several of the GM's also have been watching the progress of my work. Please do not be a toxic player and work with the community rather than against it. No one is "owning" the land the perimeter is technically part of the starting deed. No one came to the server and started destroying your projects so please do not start destroying mine.

Thanks,

Sheriff

• Like 2

57 minutes ago, BattleWall said:

So just to be clear here and put the entire story out there. I play on the Character names of Sheriff, Deputy, & Admiralmyth on Melody. I have worked countless hours over the past week to improve the look of the starter area. You came in yesterday and started destroying what I had been working on. You maliciously tore down what was it 24 of my unfinished fences that were requiring only fence bars to attach which I was working on. The GM's stepped in and came to the conclusion that the road would go to where we had already started it. Maybe next time work with those who were building up the area for the better than being malicious and rude about it to others.

No one is "claiming" the land with fences to "claim" the land. We are beautifying the area and have been doing so for a week. Those in the starting area of Overture on Melody know who I am and what I have been working on. Several of the GM's also have been watching the progress of my work. Please do not be a toxic player and work with the community rather than against it. No one is "owning" the land the perimeter is technically part of the starting deed. No one came to the server and started destroying your projects so please do not start destroying mine.

Thanks,

Sheriff

Ah but you are leaving out part of the story. The part when you and I agreed to allow my highway to be a straight up shot, and you would put your "beautifying" fenced off area on the east side of my highway. I agreed to replace the mats I destroyed. We had a deal. A GM brokered deal. You agreed to it. Then after a while you decided to welch on that agreement and request a new deal. This should be classified refusing to follow a GM "directive". I refused your new deal. We already came to an agreement, GM verified. 

I'm curious, please tell me why you cannot "beautify" the area, less those 12 tiles. Why not add 12 tiles to the north side of your "beautifying" area, and abide by our original deal. Why is it so important that you "beautify" those 12 tiles?  If your objective is to beautify, there are plenty of other tiles you could do that to. This way the highway will be a one time straight shot north. No turny area that just happens to go right by your deed?

Edited by Hoonsuit

23 minutes ago, BattleWall said:

Thanks,

Sheriff

Seems there are two sides to every story, as always.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The golden rule is the golden rule. Play nice with others. If someone is working on something and you start to destroy it without asking, that's not playing nice. As @Goblinkingsaid, nobody has ever blocked travel through a starter town and no one ever will because the GM's would intervene and restore order. So let others work if they want to work. What concern is it of yours if someone has started a project somewhere? Is it hampering your ability to play? Did they prevent you from fencing off your own section of the perimeter for your own purposes?

Much like in life, what you can get away with and what you should do are not always the same thing. Can you get away with bashing down this Sheriff character's fences if you don't like them? Absolutely. Should you? My guess is that you shouldn't.

Edit: After seeing some back and forth between OP and Sheriff, this seems like a personal squabble and this post should probably be closed and removed tbh

Edited by BDCKoolaid
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, BDCKoolaid said:

Seems there are two sides to every story, as always.

I've said it before and I'll say it again: The golden rule is the golden rule. Play nice with others. If someone is working on something and you start to destroy it without asking, that's not playing nice. As @Goblinkingsaid, nobody has ever blocked travel through a starter town and no one ever will because the GM's would intervene and restore order. So let others work if they want to work. What concern is it of yours if someone has started a project somewhere? Is it hampering your ability to play? Did they prevent you from fencing off your own section of the perimeter for your own purposes?

Much like in life, what you can get away with and what you should do are not always the same thing. Can you get away with bashing down this Sheriff character's fences if you don't like them? Absolutely. Should you? My guess is that you shouldn't.

Definitely more to the story. 

I will add to this convo with a GM a couple of days ago, to make sure I was allowed to bash the fences.

Also add that after receiving a War Hammer affinity as my starter affinity. I made a complaint that it was a war affinity and I was on a non war server, so give me a new one please. The head GM here informed me of how good an affinity it is for bashing offdeed walls, and actually covetted. I decided to give it a test. 

Spoiler

[15:29:55] <GM> Well it is a perimeter which you can make fencing for; my concern going into the ticket was they were fencing off the starter deed entirely.
[15:30:03] <GM> WHich does not appear the case.
[15:30:09] <GM> Aye this is legal to do, as it is offdeed.
[15:30:22] <Hoonsuit> is it also legal to smash ?
[15:30:28] <GM> Offdeed can be bashed open by other players, and since it is in a perimeter they cannot deed it themselves which makes it at risk.
[15:30:36] <GM> Yes with 21 body strength you can bash it open.

I don’t want to keep arguing about this. But I do want to just say that you have never contacted me about this. The only time you contacted me and asked me anything is when you wanted the cow that was wandering on my deed on 8/1/2020. I just looked through the logs. Had you came and talked to me prior to this the issues could have been taken care of without the intervention of the Gm last night stating the highway will have a angled portion. Please keep your facts straight when telling the story. I have screenshots of the logs if you need to continue to lie about it.

Edit: Please close this thread. Issue has been taken care of by Prawn in-game last night.

Edited by BattleWall