Sign in to follow this  
Faetyl

Inaccurate max server load being displayed

Do the new servers have some kind of new technology that allows them to support such a higher max player base? The lag that occurs in game at around 800 players says otherwise.

Shouldn't this be corrected? http://wurmonline.com/status/

Login server online
Uptime 4h 41m
Golden Valley 0/80
Chaos 34/800
Independence 56/800
Deliverance 25/800
Exodus 35/800
Celebration 22/800
Pristine 17/800
Release 25/800
Xanadu 111/800
Harmony 899/1500
Defiance 387/1500
Haven 25/400
Melody 373/800
Epic cluster 8/3200

Don't get me wrong. Development has done a phenomenal job with the improvements over the years. (I love the changes to traders, and the Marks system for example).

But this is Wurm's big chance with a Steam Release. This only happens once. I can't help but believe the negative reviews are mostly due to the lag and its losing its potential in retaining new premium players.

I get the caution on opening a new server with the fear of it becoming a ghost town eventually. I believe the repercussions from inactivity are too costly in this instance.

I highly recommend the max player count be updated to accurately reflect 800 players. Open new Servers and further encourage new players to play there.

Has single server instancing been reviewed as a possibility? (Separate databases for different regions)

Apologies, I love this game and feel like I'm helpless watching someone drowning. I only want to help...

Edited by Faetyl
spelling

I think they figured it was better to have a little lag than to have people locked out, while they decided on whether a "second melody" is needed. So even though I think harmonty should not be continuing to struggle with its 800-999 player loads, I don;t think the should quite yet drop the 1500 "capacity". 

However, Harmony is best served at 500-700 people, Melody at 250-350, and we still need another small server in order that people can go there NOW instead of continuing to settle on a server that is going to always lag in evenings and weekends. I know a lot of people LOVE living in densely populated urban areas, but it is not the Wurm 

I live four hours walk from spawn, my area is FULL,  and I am -still- seeing people wandering out around here trying to find a place to settle. They tell me every place is take, and this is a four hour walk from spawn. If that needed extra server was there NOW, it would provide room for the 300-700 of "excess population" we current have, BEFORE we lose these potential new players due to lag and crowding.

Yes yes yes I KNOW that some of you know of empty spots on the server! I am sure there are more than a few! But:

1. Every server SHOULD have huge tracts of unsettled wilderness areas. Inland areas are especially suited for this. think of it as national forestland/ilderness parks, or whatever they call it in other countries.
  2. This is our ONE AND ONLY CHANCE to keep some of those 11,000 players who wishlisted the game, before they move on to check out other new games instead. Waiting another 3-7 weeks is going to be too late.
  3. New players can be directed to a new server now, before they spend 5-7 hours wandering around Harmony and decide they were "too late" to claim land, and, exhausted and frustrated,  log off for good.

Edited by Brash_Endeavors
  • Like 2

Sure... another server, lol...

There's always spike in new players when new server starts, next year this time you will end up with maps full of ruins and nobody in local for days if you keep adding new maps.

Maybe improve server performance instead? That would help the game and population waaaay more than those temporary fixes.

There's plenty of space and almost no lag (except Xanadu) up north...

Sure you can try to keep those mythical 11k players for the rest of the year just feeding them new maps every time there's a server lagging or you could focus on long term solutions and finally start advertising this game with all this cash you got from steam launch! I'd rather see 11k new players over the next 3 years, than over the next month.